Author Topic: Traveling  (Read 2639 times)

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
Re: Traveling
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2019, 03:09:52 PM »
Well, I can be pretty charming when I want to be...

I find that Wiki page dubious;
The shortest passages are of course Transatlantic and these vary between eight and twelve days each way, while a voyage can be made around the world in between 80 and 120 days.

Clearly Jules Verne set the standard in 1873 for circumnavigating the globe at 80 days. Surly we have improved that mark since then?  ;D

Would it be fun to traverse the Panama Canal on a freighter? Or am I thinking it's more  intriguing than it probably really is?
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2019, 06:55:02 PM »
I've long had a bucket list item to travel from Australia to the UK on a boat. My great-grandfather did it, and we still have his diary of the trip. It isn't very interesting, unfortunately, but we have it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2019, 07:29:33 PM »
Well, I can be pretty charming when I want to be...

I find that Wiki page dubious;
The shortest passages are of course Transatlantic and these vary between eight and twelve days each way, while a voyage can be made around the world in between 80 and 120 days.

Clearly Jules Verne set the standard in 1873 for circumnavigating the globe at 80 days. Surly we have improved that mark since then?  ;D

Would it be fun to traverse the Panama Canal on a freighter? Or am I thinking it's more  intriguing than it probably really is?

Verne didn't have to make multiple stops along the way to unload and load several hundreds (thousands?) of cargo containers, or wait several days in harbor for a berth at the dock. He also travelled overland where possible, rather than going all the way around Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope. Trains, where available, also go much faster than boats.

The grandfather of a friend of mine once sailed on an unsinkable ship. You can guess what happened.

I get seasick, so no sea voyages for me. The Au'au channel between Maui and Lana'i is the most exposed bit of ocean I'm ever likely to be on, and that's the most protected channel in all of the Hawaiian islands. And I took two Kwells for that trip.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck