Author Topic: Traveling  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Traveling
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2019, 12:16:48 AM »
[REDACTED FOR ENVY]

Please do not begrudge others their good fortune.

In fact, some people even get a vicarious kick out of other people's exploits and just generally like seeing other people do well, too, and travel threads are great for that. 

(The lives of others are real and should be good)
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:56 AM »
To be honest, I mostly just want to call you an arrogant, condescending prick and tell you to fuck off.

Is this sort of comment really necessary?

What intention did you have in making it?

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 02:45:55 AM »
I wish I could afford to travel. Right now, I can't see any way of ever leaving my country again.

You live in an amazing country. I feel your angst as it does seem like a right of passage for the people of Autralia and New Zealand to 'see the world's.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 02:56:56 AM »
It is our last day in Berlin, and the situation with the Berlin Wall was absolutely sureal, except it is real.

We have travelled through quite a few former Eastern Bloc countries in the last two years, and I am quite keen on seeing St. Petersburg.

As amazing, interesting and stunningly beautiful these countries are (Google Cesny Krumlov, Hvar, Plitvice Lakes to name a few), the tragic recent history of Soviet occupation and former Yugoslavian wars is still present and very disturbing.

It makes me very nervous about Vladamir Putin's current sabre rattling.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 03:03:46 AM »
Having recently moved to Kenya, I am keen to start travelling again, but I still need to settle down first. Before I used to go to Northeastern Brazil quite a lot, which is fantastic but those days are gone now.

I had one trip to Mogadishu, but that wasn't for pleasure, and I'll need to go around the whole of Somalia  for work.

I am planning to go around the country first, then pop over to Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Ethiopia in the neighborhood. Namibia, Mozambique, South Africa and Egypt are also on the list.

I just wish I could start going around already.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »
I’ve seen humpbacks from an inflatable in the Antarctic.  The best way of observing whales is on a DVD in the comfort of your own home ...

I agree that I'd much rather see whales on a DVD at home than from an inflatable in the Antarctic. But even better than a DVD at home is from a kayak or a canoe in the warm, flat water off of south or west Maui. I don't do well at all on rough or cold water. But seeing whales close up, when you've actually worked your own muscles to get there, and you're at their level at the surface of the water, and it's 80 degrees F., and the water and the sun are so warm that being wet is a pleasure rather than a pain, this is an experience far more emotional and inspiring, than just watching a DVD at home while sitting on a couch.

And if you're lucky enough to see one breach close to your boat (maybe once in 100 outings you may see a breach really close up) this is an experince you can never get just from watching a screen.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
Moose Jaw is an awesome fun town (or at least it was 20 years ago, it doesn't feel like it was that long ago......)

I don't like travelling, but I do like to be stationary in a variety of different places.  Haha
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »
Forget whale-watching from a big boat! Come to Maui in winter and come out whale watching in a kayak or an outrigger canoe. There's only one way to observe whales that's better than in a self-powered tiny boat at water level, and that's...
The cruise ships have kayaks. I was lifted out the water by two whales. They carried me to the shore.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
To be honest, I mostly just want to call you an arrogant, condescending prick and tell you to fuck off.

Wow. Where's this coming from? And what have you done with The Latinist?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
Forget whale-watching from a big boat! Come to Maui in winter and come out whale watching in a kayak or an outrigger canoe. There's only one way to observe whales that's better than in a self-powered tiny boat at water level, and that's...
The cruise ships have kayaks. I was lifted out the water by two whales. They carried me to the shore.

I am confused by this post. I suspect some kind of a joke, but jokes often go right over my head. (And then other times I find something unbearably funny and other people can't figure out why I'm laughing.)

I've got nothing against cruise ships. I just would never want to go on one. So much easier to paddle out from shore. If the cruise ship allows you to take a kayak out when there are whales around, that's great. Do they allow this? I don't think the cruise ships that come to Maui have their own kayaks. They'll book you an outing with a local kayak outfitter or whale-watch boat, and probably charge you twice what you'd pay to the outfitter directly. And it's a crap shoot whether they'll book you with one of the better outfitters or just with the cheapest one.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online CarbShark

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »
Wow, this nice little thread took a dark turn
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:13:32 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »

Wow, this nice little thread took a dark turn

Check your formatting, please. The comment I assume to be yours comes out as a quote from me.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »

Hey, Latinist, I just booked a two-week trip to Australia in December.  I wanted you to be the first to know.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
Relevant:
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »

Hey, Latinist, I just booked a two-week trip to Australia in December.  I wanted you to be the first to know.

Where are you going?  December in Australia can be very hot, ruling out Northern Australia, which is also the cyclone season.

Haven’t you traveled yourself out yet?
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

personate-rain