Author Topic: Traveling  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: Traveling
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2019, 02:31:00 AM »
Who had been to Calgary, Edmonton and the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper) recently?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »
Who had been to Calgary, Edmonton and the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper) recently?

I think it's been about 15 years since I was in Calgary. The first time I went hiking up in B.C., Canada I drove from Fargo, ND, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and flew to Castlegar, BC, with a 5-hour layover in Calgary, which I used to visit the zoo. On that trip I learned that Castlegar is sometimes called Cancelgar because of how often flights in and out have to be cancelled due to cloud cover. The next summer I took the train to Spokane and a shuttle from there instead. And by the following summer I had moved to Spokane and from then on drove up, so never went to Calgary again.

I've never been to Edmonton.

I've been to both Banff and Jasper, but not recently. I was in the Canadian Rockies last summer and the summer before that. Last summer at a hiking lodge near Golden, BC, and the summer before at Lake Louise. I've also been to Waterton and Yoho. In Yoho I visited the Burgess Shale.

The Selkirk mountains sometimes informally get lumped together with the Rockies, but are not the Rockies properly speaking. I went there nearly every summer for ten or twelve years. And the Rockies almost as often.

So I guess this is a very long-winded way of answering your question "Not me." Unless you meant to say "or" rather than "and," since I've never been to Edmonton.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »

Me.  Last week and again next week.  Well, not to Banff at this time.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »

Me.  Last week and again next week.  Well, not to Banff at this time.

Maybe a clarification is in order: Was the question who has been to all of these places recently, or who has been to any of them recently?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »
It's actually been a long time since I was to Jasper.  My wife and child are in Banff today.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »
Did you teleport to Banff?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »

I wish.  I'm not there.  Would love to be.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2019, 02:13:17 AM »
We are doing a quick tour, landing in Calgary, hotel in Canmore for two nights, then up to Jasper, then Edmonton and then off to Saskatchewn.

I am also hoping to stop at the Royal Tyrell Museum on the way back (we also fly out of Calgary).

I would like some travel advice and 'must see' sights please.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2019, 11:09:34 AM »
Tatyana: Is there a reason for going to Edmonton? I've never been there but I cannot imagine any reason for going there. Unless maybe you're visiting relatives there.

If it were me I'd skip Edmonton and Saskatchewan (the prairie is beautiful, but there's not much there) and go to Lake Louise or Banff instead of the much more distant Jasper, and spend as much time as possible hiking. From Calgary it's a short drive to Banff, and not too much farther to Lake Louise. Jasper is many hours farther away and not actually any better. Just get an early start for hiking or the parking lots are full and you might not get in.

The drive up to Jasper is beautiful, but I'd rather spend that time hiking. The rest of it, you're describing a trip of many, many hours driving through prairie, which is beautiful in its way, but extremely monotonous.

Hmmm. I just realized that it's nearly the end of August. Hiking can be good in early September, or the weather can be nasty. My above recommendations apply to a trip from about mid-July to late August. After the small-grain harvest, the prairie will be pretty barren.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2019, 11:23:59 AM »

Interesting as "Banff" it the actual sound that occurs when I teleport.

*BANFF!*

Now I am over here, see!
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
We are doing a quick tour, landing in Calgary, hotel in Canmore for two nights, then up to Jasper, then Edmonton and then off to Saskatchewn.

I am also hoping to stop at the Royal Tyrell Museum on the way back (we also fly out of Calgary).

You already got the must see, in Drumheller.  It's like driving to Mars or something, plus dinosaurs.

No travel advice other than to day-of confirm that there aren't rockslide closures on your highway of choice in the mountains.

Oh, also have something in mind to break the monotony of driving in the prairies.  It is duuuuuulllllllll.  (Saskatchewan is like North Dakota, only without all those people.)  Get an audiobook or podcasts or music or something.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2019, 07:56:33 PM »

Interesting as "Banff" it the actual sound that occurs when I teleport.

*BANFF!*

Now I am over here, see!

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2019, 08:46:22 PM »

You already got the must see, in Drumheller.  It's like driving to Mars or something, plus dinosaurs.

No travel advice other than to day-of confirm that there aren't rockslide closures on your highway of choice in the mountains.

Yes! Very good advice!

Oh, also have something in mind to break the monotony of driving in the prairies.  It is duuuuuulllllllll.  (Saskatchewan is like North Dakota, only without all those people.)  Get an audiobook or podcasts or music or something.

Yes again! More good advice!
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2019, 01:34:54 AM »
Tatyana: Is there a reason for going to Edmonton? I've never been there but I cannot imagine any reason for going there. Unless maybe you're visiting relatives there.

If it were me I'd skip Edmonton and Saskatchewan (the prairie is beautiful, but there's not much there) and go to Lake Louise or Banff instead of the much more distant Jasper, and spend as much time as possible hiking. From Calgary it's a short drive to Banff, and not too much farther to Lake Louise. Jasper is many hours farther away and not actually any better. Just get an early start for hiking or the parking lots are full and you might not get in.

The drive up to Jasper is beautiful, but I'd rather spend that time hiking. The rest of it, you're describing a trip of many, many hours driving through prairie, which is beautiful in its way, but extremely monotonous.

Hmmm. I just realized that it's nearly the end of August. Hiking can be good in early September, or the weather can be nasty. My above recommendations apply to a trip from about mid-July to late August. After the small-grain harvest, the prairie will be pretty barren.

I am taking my Kiwi 'hisband' to Canada.for the first time, and we are going to Saskatoon and Moose Jaw to see family.

We might go on a few small hikes but we really don't have loads of proper gear and it isn't the focus this trip.

It might be surprising to a person from a small island (the UK and NZ are the same size), to see all the space, I have seen a few people freak out at the space in the prairies. 🙂

personate-rain