Author Topic: Traveling  (Read 1712 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Traveling
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2019, 10:30:58 AM »
Did you teleport to Banff?

Interesting as "Banff" it the actual sound that occurs when I teleport.

*BANFF!*

Now I am over here, see!

It's a good one.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2019, 11:02:10 AM »
Tatyana: Is there a reason for going to Edmonton? I've never been there but I cannot imagine any reason for going there. Unless maybe you're visiting relatives there.

If it were me I'd skip Edmonton and Saskatchewan (the prairie is beautiful, but there's not much there) and go to Lake Louise or Banff instead of the much more distant Jasper, and spend as much time as possible hiking. From Calgary it's a short drive to Banff, and not too much farther to Lake Louise. Jasper is many hours farther away and not actually any better. Just get an early start for hiking or the parking lots are full and you might not get in.

The drive up to Jasper is beautiful, but I'd rather spend that time hiking. The rest of it, you're describing a trip of many, many hours driving through prairie, which is beautiful in its way, but extremely monotonous.

Hmmm. I just realized that it's nearly the end of August. Hiking can be good in early September, or the weather can be nasty. My above recommendations apply to a trip from about mid-July to late August. After the small-grain harvest, the prairie will be pretty barren.

I am taking my Kiwi 'hisband' to Canada.for the first time, and we are going to Saskatoon and Moose Jaw to see family.

We might go on a few small hikes but we really don't have loads of proper gear and it isn't the focus this trip.

It might be surprising to a person from a small island (the UK and NZ are the same size), to see all the space, I have seen a few people freak out at the space in the prairies. 🙂

Gotcha. Well, enjoy. The prairies are beautiful, if monotonous. I was in Saskatoon around 30 years ago, more or less. I had a few experiences there that made me really like the town. I have no idea if it has changed since then. There was a Chinese restaurant with an entire half of the menu being all vegetarian, at a time when in North Dakota no restaurant had even one vegetarian main-course item. There was a grocery store where the produce manager gave us two cases of bananas for $1, just because they were ripe and he preferred to give them away than throw them away. And the drivers all through Saskatchewan always pulled over to let us pass when there were no other passing opportunities, something that never happened in Manitoba or North Dakota. It gets awfully cold in winter, though.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2019, 08:32:02 PM »
It's a good one.

Honestly I didn't even know whether it would land.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »
me and my cult in Okinawa Japan.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »
Looks like you're having fun!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »
Where is the best place to get a temporary pay as you go SIM card in Canada?

Offline mobyfubar

• Brand New
  • Bryan
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Honestly I didn't even know whether it would land.
Yeah, that's a problem with teleportation.
==BD

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2019, 05:37:35 PM »
Oh hey, regarding Calgary.  I forgot to mention.

If you want to get the best representative Calgary/Alberta dining experience without the sort of hipster flair that everything nice seems to have these days, go for steaks at the Cattle Baron restaurant http://www.cattlebaroncalgary.com/ .  Best beef in town without the cooler-than-thou pretense.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »
I've never had to buy one... where will you be? Any major chain like bestbuy should have them, but that may be overkill for where you are.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
I've never had to buy one... where will you be? Any major chain like bestbuy should have them, but that may be overkill for where you are.

7-Eleven maybe?
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

personate-rain
personate-rain