Author Topic: Episode #736  (Read 2337 times)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #736
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
I don't have an issue with the days of the month not being the same every month, and didn't realize that that was a thing. Why would the Vulcans care? What is the practical value of making the days the same each month? Switching to ISO 8601 and not using the silly month-day-year order should do more to tidy things up. What day of the week it is is much less important than the date. Technically, we don't need to have names for the days or months at all, although that would be easier to live with after we've become utopian societies without strict work schedules and rules based around what day of the week it is.

Having a government-sponsored DUI PSA as an ad is a bit weird. It's almost something that you could've had as a regular segment on the podcast, and it would've had more punch if it was given the skeptical treatment.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:15:34 PM by 2397 »

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 12:24:26 PM »
The "better" calendar sounds a bit too sterile for my tastes: I like having a frequent reminder that the cosmos does its own thing, without any regard for humanity's constructs (no matter how necessary some may be). Heck, the fact that big earthquakes can measurably change the length of day itself is pretty humbling. Maybe it also helps us keep our adaptive edge.

(Also, I've been playing some math about the frequency of having a "perfect four-week February" and all that, and this new calendar would make it all so boring.)

Also, even if not a popular thought, I was glad to hear Jay's skepticism about the idea of a "Goldilocks Zone" in general. There are too many other variables that affect a body's ability to support and hold onto liquid water. Sure, it's not impossible that we'll discover mechanisms that prevent those combinations, but we're not there yet.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
The "better" calendar sounds a bit too sterile for my tastes: I like having a frequent reminder that the cosmos does its own thing, without any regard for humanity's constructs (no matter how necessary some may be). Heck, the fact that big earthquakes can measurably change the length of day itself is pretty humbling. Maybe it also helps us keep our adaptive edge.

(Also, I've been playing some math about the frequency of having a "perfect four-week February" and all that, and this new calendar would make it all so boring.)

Also, even if not a popular thought, I was glad to hear Jay's skepticism about the idea of a "Goldilocks Zone" in general. There are too many other variables that affect a body's ability to support and hold onto liquid water. Sure, it's not impossible that we'll discover mechanisms that prevent those combinations, but we're not there yet.

The current calendar is a solar calendar, and takes account of the cosmos.  In about 11,000 years, when owing to the wobble in the Earth’s axis and the North Pole is pointing around 45 degrees from the Pole Star, the Northern Summer solstice will still occur in June sometime.

Changing the Julian to the Gregorian calendar was to account for the cosmos.  Changing the order of the days and their names within the Gregorian calendar won’t alter the fact that the current calendar does already take account of the cosmos.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline arthwollipot

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 12:26:43 AM »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
I once invented a very large number. I have no way of knowing if mine is larger than the one discussed on the show. Here's my number:

Raise a googolplex to the googolplex power. Raise the result to the googolplex power. Iterate this process a googolplex number of times.

This is called tetration, the same way exponent is repeated multiplication.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
I don't have an issue with the days of the month not being the same every month, and didn't realize that that was a thing. Why would the Vulcans care?

Rest assured they don't get all emotional about it.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
I'm thinking that, depending on context, the logical fallacy would be tu quoque (whataboutism).

Tu quoque - Wikipedia

It is often used as a red herring tactic and is a special case of the ad hominem fallacy, which is a category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of facts about the person presenting or supporting the claim or argument.[4]
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »
Numberphile on Weber's Law

Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 07:53:50 PM »
I'd rather have a Graham than have a damn.

Offline arthwollipot

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »
Graham: Do you say it with one syllable or two? "Gram" or "Grayam"?

Hint: The correct* way is with two syllables.

* >:D
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
The irony of Dvorak keyboard: with touch devices, switching soft keyboards is trivial. But QWERTY's purpose is to prevent jamming with sequential, adjacent keys, something that's more akin to the optimization for said keyboard.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »
The irony of Dvorak keyboard: with touch devices, switching soft keyboards is trivial. But QWERTY's purpose is to prevent jamming with sequential, adjacent keys, something that's more akin to the optimization for said keyboard.

Interesting. My sister types so fast that she could not type on a conventional old-style typewriter. My mother's IBM Selectric, with a type ball instead of the letter arms of older typewriters, was the first machine that could keep up with her. And then computers made even the Selectric obsolete.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 06:36:55 AM »
I use the Colemak layout. Dvorak never worked for me. On phone-sized devices, QWERTY keyboards are much easier to use with one thumb.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »
I'm a hunt-and-peck typist, though I'm sufficiently familiar with the qwerty keyboard that I can do okay with it. For me, there are no advantages to other keyboards that would outweigh the fact that I am familiar with qwerty.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain