0 (0%)
Bomber
0 (0%)
Spuckie
0 (0%)
torpedo
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Big Sandwich to go with the Pop, soda, coke  (Read 798 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Big Sandwich to go with the Pop, soda, coke
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
I grew up in an area where "hero" was most common, "sub" slightly less so.

Where I live now --only a few counties away "wedge" is the common term. Never heard that before moving here.

If I go an hour or so East/northeast I am in Grinder land. Go 2 or 3 hours south / southeast and Hoagie becomes better known.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Big Sandwich to go with the Pop, soda, coke
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »
Big sandwich. Or sandwich. Or (large) baguette.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
Sub, but I'm abstaining because its never a "submarine".   Its a bit unfair though, I was not exposed to such a sandwich until adulthood, when my first exposure was Subway. 

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »
Sub, but I'm abstaining because its never a "submarine".   

I've removed the offensive "submarine" for you so you can participate

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »
Philly cheesesteak, 12"er.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 03:38:31 PM »
This is a good one but you will have to define whats in the sandwich as I mite have several of those on the same menu

If you are referring to the basic Italian sandwich with varying ingredients but basically ham, capicola, salami, provolone on a long flute shaped roll I call that a sub

Going up in Pennsylvania we called it a Hoagie but when i moved to Florida and later Georgia nobody knows wtf i'm talking about so i grew accustomed to calling it a sub. Plus subway screwed those sandwiches up for everyone.

If you put it in the oven it becomes a grinder.

if you put it on some kind of sliced bread piled high with stuff it becomes a Dagwood

Po-Boys have specific ingredients and are different than subs. Often with fried seafood or roast beef/gravy. Much like a "Cuban" would also not be called a sub but it looks similar.

Its possible to make a roast beef sub that does not qualify as a po-boy and vice versa.

A wedge is taken from a muffuletta which yet again a different sandwich.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »

According to lore "wedge"  (very localized to the counties of Westchester NY and Fairfield CT) originated in Yonkers as a shortening of sandwich.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
If you are referring to the basic Italian sandwich with varying ingredients but basically ham, capicola, salami, provolone on a long flute shaped roll I call that a sub

Here that is called Italian combo wedge--but could be had on a kaiser as Italian combo on a roll.
Interesting tidbit: the Italian sub originated in Maine of all places.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
Sub, but definitely not an ideological prescriptivist about it.  There is zero outrage in my life for anyone who wants to name any sandwich almost anything they like, as long as it's recognizably in the sandwich family of names.

(Same for pizza, anything even vaguely pizza-ish can be called whatever you like.)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »

(Same for pizza, anything even vaguely pizza-ish can be called whatever you like.)

Do you accept when it is called pie?

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »

Do you accept when it is called pie?

It isn't (at any point in my life), but in theory I could deal.  As long as there isn't a significant chance for it to be confused for an apple pie, don't care.  Call your shit what you like.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 04:10:43 PM »
I will often try to gently poke fun at recipe prescriptivists, by, for example, publicly calling my product "jabalaya-inspired rice dish" or "pizza-inspired flatbread" or whatever, because you know someone is just going to say "hey man, you put normal smoked sausage in there and jabmalaya has to have anduille sausage so what you're making isn't jambalaya".
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »

According to lore "wedge"  (very localized to the counties of Westchester NY and Fairfield CT) originated in Yonkers as a shortening of sandwich.

I do vaguely remember reference to those when I lived up north now that I think about it. 

They mite call them different names in deferent areas but they also have different ways of making them that can make them unique.

What mite make that wedge different is the specific bread they use or the specific way they make it.

I think some sandwiches have been so screwed up by the fast food chains its difficult to figure out what the original sandwiches are supposed to taste like.

If subway makes what they try to call a reuben is it still a reuben or is it actually a corned beef and swiss sub with sour kraut and thousand islands, I say the latter.

amysrevenge can make fun of me  >:D

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »
I think some sandwiches have been so screwed up by the fast food chains its difficult to figure out what the original sandwiches are supposed to taste like.

I agree. I am lucky in that I can get to at least two excellent delicatessens during my lunch break.
One of them is very popular and for good reason.
Though there might be a line of ten people ahead of you, there are at least six people behind the counter filling the orders--and they make a good sandwich.

I grew up accustomed to these places, and lament that their numbers are dwindling.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »
It isn't (at any point in my life), but in theory I could deal.  As long as there isn't a significant chance for it to be confused for an apple pie, don't care.  Call your shit what you like.
I basically agree, call it what you like unless its going to cause confusion. 

If its got corned beef or pastrami, swiss cheese, saurkraut, thousand island or russian dressing and comes on rye, sure call it a reuben.  If its all that but on white bread, not a reuben.

personate-rain
personate-rain