0 (0%)
Bomber
0 (0%)
Spuckie
0 (0%)
torpedo
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Big Sandwich to go with the Pop, soda, coke  (Read 707 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Big Sandwich to go with the Pop, soda, coke
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
In New England, a grinder may be hot or cold.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2019, 06:52:47 PM »
Grinder is not unheard of here, but sub is by far the most common.

There's one shop I can think of that calls it a hero, but I think it is just to be quirky.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 08:40:41 PM »
I have never heard, in the wild as it were, a sandwich referred to as a Hero, Hoagie, Grinder, Wedge, Po-Boy, Dagwood, Bomber, Spuckie, or Torpedo. I was aware that some people referred to Heroes and Hoagies, but I haven't ever even heard of the other terms. Not even in American popular culture. "Po-boy" WTF?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »
Po’ Boy is a shortening of Poor Boy, a sandwich for the working class. It originated, as far as I know, with a particular shop in New Orleans.  It’s a very local term, originally, though it’s become more trendy.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »
Po’ Boy is a shortening of Poor Boy, a sandwich for the working class. It originated, as far as I know, with a particular shop in New Orleans.  It’s a very local term, originally, though it’s become more trendy.

Interesting.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2019, 10:11:21 PM »

Interesting.

My favorite is a shrimp Po-boy.  Usually New Orleans seasoned deep fried gulf shrimp (prawns) dressed with lettuce, tomato, pickles and remoulade sauce on a crusty french roll.

They do the same with fried oysters and fried fish.

They have a roast beef Po-boy but its different than roast beef "subs" in the rest of the US, it has a rich brown gravy made with a dark roux but they still dress it with the above vegetables and sauce. Personally I like it much better without the vegetables.

This reminds me of another term "Dips" or French Dips  which originated in LA but you find them everywhere including sub shops. Roasted meats on a soft roll dipped in meat juice then served with a side of the juice. There is some argument and controversy over the order in which you apply the juice. I have never had an original from one of the two locations that fight over the title but I can only guess that I have had some decent close approximations. Never at a sub shop but its pretty darn close to a sub.  Chicago has the "Italian beef" which is similar. 

In most cases these regional sandwiches are best from the area they originated but not always.  Much like it wont taste like a "Philly" cheese steak unless you are getting it in Philly but who cares, I mite be from that area but even I admit the ones from Philly are not that great and cheese whiz sucks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:16:11 PM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 03:39:56 AM »
It's either 'a roll' or a specific type of roll i.e 'chicken roll', 'salad roll'

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
Here there not really a specific go to term, it's really dependent on what type of sandwich it is. I don't eat a lot of large sammies so I might just not be in the know? I'm familiar with all the terms listed due to pop culture but only ever really hear sub in real life.

ETA spect for po-boy, that refers to a very specific type of sandwich and not sure it should be on a list of generic terms.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
ETA spect for po-boy, that refers to a very specific type of sandwich and not sure it should be on a list of generic terms.

Not all that specific. there are a whole variety of Po-Boys on New Orleans menus.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »

Not all that specific. there are a whole variety of Po-Boys on New Orleans menus.

True, but there is still a criteria to being a po-boy that is different from a generic term for large sandwich. A whole wheat sub with ham, swiss and mustered is a not a po-boy but could be any of the other generic sandwich terms. A banh mi is the same way. There are a lot of types and variety of of them out there, but not every large sandwich can be one.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:53:35 AM by moj »

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
Has anyone ever eaten at Schlotzsky's? I had one yesterday and it was horrible.

I think I rank them far below subway except they also have Cinnabon which if fresh gives them a few bonus points.

They have round sandwiches "inspired" very loosely after the Muffuletta from New Orleans. It is a "big sandwich" and they have three sizes, one is bigger than my face but I would not be able to classify them in any of the categories above and I certainly would never call them a Muffuletta because 5 fake black olive slices is not an olive salad and cheddar cheese NEVER works with Italian meats. 

I don't know what you call them, this is what they look like

The sourdough bun thing in the picture is dry as hell, so is the pumpernickel on the "not-a reuben" that they also sell.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
By the way, the inner pollack in me wants to call a sandwich a "sangwidge".

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 04:00:02 PM »
Haha my mother-in-law says "sandridge".
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2019, 05:33:49 PM »
By the way, the inner pollack in me wants to call a sandwich a "sangwidge".

One of my speech communication students said "sangwich."  I tried to correct her by telling her she was ruining the punch line:

Why won't you starve in the desert?
Because of all the sandwiches there.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
Why won't you starve in the desert?
Because of all the sandwiches there.

That's a bit like something I made up during the GW Bush years.

We have a new power station. It's just over there. You can't see it? That's because it's see-through. It's our new, clear power station.

personate-rain