Author Topic: WTF IS "Old Town Road"??????  (Read 428 times)

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
WTF IS "Old Town Road"??????
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:53:21 PM »
So I'm reading the cover story of this weeks TIME magazine about this...little Nash X character and his song "Old Town Road". Supposedly this song has been number one on the Billboard 100 for something like 19 weeks and it's been downloaded on Spotify (whatever the fuck THAT is) over a billion times.

I have never heard or heard of this song before now.

Granted, I don't listen to top 40 radio or Hip Hop or Country (which I gather this song is a fusion of) but still you think I would have been exposed to something as widely popular as this claims to be somehow, somewhere no matter how minutely. Yes, I am a 57 year-old white straight male so I'm out of the loop on current music, but I still find it amazing I have never been exposed to his song...not that I expect to like it since I hate Hip Hop and Country. ANd nah, I'm not gonna google it on Youtube. I just want to see how long it takes before I do stumble across it thru culture osmosis...in a commercial or film clip or something. I mean, I can't stand or don't listen to Taylor Swift either, but I've heard snatches of that "Shake it Off" song of hers.

This is old man Blevins signing off......got to chase some kids off my lawn with my cane.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: WTF IS "Old Town Road"??????
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:56:09 PM »
So I'm reading the cover story of this weeks TIME magazine about this...little Nash X character and his song "Old Town Road". Supposedly this song has been number one on the Billboard 100 for something like 19 weeks and it's been downloaded on Spotify (whatever the fuck THAT is) over a billion times.

I have never heard or heard of this song before now.

Granted, I don't listen to top 40 radio or Hip Hop or Country (which I gather this song is a fusion of) but still you think I would have been exposed to something as widely popular as this claims to be somehow, somewhere no matter how minutely. Yes, I am a 57 year-old white straight male so I'm out of the loop on current music, but I still find it amazing I have never been exposed to his song...not that I expect to like it since I hate Hip Hop and Country. ANd nah, I'm not gonna google it on Youtube. I just want to see how long it takes before I do stumble across it thru culture osmosis...in a commercial or film clip or something. I mean, I can't stand or don't listen to Taylor Swift either, but I've heard snatches of that "Shake it Off" song of hers.

This is old man Blevins signing off......got to chase some kids off my lawn with my cane.

Haha I'm out of touch too, but I refuse to feel bad about it.  Was watching reruns of Simpsons on our former regional MTV knockoff that now is mostly just Simpsons reruns, and there was an ad for MTV video awards, and I hadn't heard of the proposed host or any of the acts in his jokes in the ad.  Meh.  It's not for me, I don't need to know.

ETA:  Minor correction - one of the jokes references Cardi B and I have heard of that entity in a vague way, such that I know that they exist and I'm fairly confident it is spelled that way.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:20:57 PM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
My song's been signing it and requesting it a ton on my spotify account.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
I'm in the same boat.

I have read about the song, I have heard people discuss it, but as far as I know I have never heard it or have yet to connect the tune to the song name.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 04:51:44 PM »
Being out of touch with the current pop music hits is nothing to be worried about. They are all terrible songs anyway.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
I teach urban high schoolers so try to listen to pop every now and then but I had to seek this song out. It's umm fine? Like I don't hate it but it's nothing special. I think it just checks a lot of boxes.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 03:04:10 AM »
Love this kid.

His story has been discussed in a few different threads. I posted his music and the video.

The shortest version of the story

He produced the track which ended up going viral through its use in a challenge video on social media,
It had controversy when it charted as a billboard country single. It was taken off the chart for being too blac.... not being country enough. 
Billy Ray Cyrus caught wind and figured this was the best way to sell himself to a a new young crowd and become relevant again  help out a young kid trying to make it and remixed the track adding himself into the mix.
They perform live, It shot up the pop charts with fire,
they make a great video with a ton of stars and it stays number one.
Lil Nas X comes out as Gay publicly, more controversy, The song stays number one.
He comes out with some new songs which he distributes for free adding some current popular talent (like Cardi B) the song stays number one
They use it in the new Rambo tailor, the song stays  number one
First openly gay performer to have a number one single last this long beating Elton John, the song stays number one
A few more free remixes put out by Lil Nas X, the song stays number one

Billie Eilish comes along with with a snappy little over produced house track and kicks him off number one.

I kid Billy Cyrus a bit but they really have produced some magic together and Im glad they did it. It appeals to a lot of different people which is unusual for that type of trap song. I think it has opened some minds to other music styles, too many are locked into this new Trap/mumble rap phase.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:06:29 AM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 03:10:04 AM »
It is a pretty damn catchy song with a sense of humor that came closer than even Beyoncé to break down the wall of segregation that surrounds country music.

It is also remarkable for being an independently released viral sensation that completely blindsided the music industry.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 01:24:28 AM »
not all pop is bad

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
not all pop is bad

this is a better song than old town road.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 11:40:00 PM »
Most of the music I listen to, and all of my favorite music, was written before 1791. And most of that before 1750. But (to a lesser degree) I like very early Dixieland and Chicago jazz. And (to a MUCH lesser degree) I like some country music. The "tears in my beer" kind of country. The "I was drunk the day my dog got out of prison" kind of country. I also like old-timey gospel.

Never heard of Old Town Road and if someone posted a video of it I probably wouldn't bother listening to it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »
If you listen to country, you might try Old Town Road...... You just might like it.

#non-belief denialist

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
If you listen to country, you might try Old Town Road...... You just might like it.

I used to listen to it, back around 1980, when I was working on the dairy farm. Driving a tractor back and forth all day long is boring. I had an AM transistor radio. Country was the least offensive music available, and I grew to like some of it. But I don't seek it out. I do sometimes choose to listen to select old-timey gospel like the above. But not country since those days. And someone above described Old Town Road as a fusion of country and hip hop. Hip hop is not music. I don't care what anyone says. Yes, everyone can now attack me for cultural insensitivity. But hip hop (and rap) are just cacophony. Fingernails on a chalk board.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
I don't know if I would characterize that is cultural insensitivity. I think it's more of an arrogant asshole move to claim that the boundaries of music are defined by what you like. If you want to tell me what I'm allowed to eat, who I can sleep with, or what I am allowed to call clothing you can extend the breadth of acting like an arrogant asshole into entirely different domains.

Or perhaps you were just trying to say you don't like, understand, or enjoy that kind of music?

ETA: Like what you like and express how you feel about it as you wish. Allow others the same respect.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:05:59 AM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
not all pop is bad

Lizzo kicks ass.  If the Juice doesn't get you moving, your hipness is broken.

As for Old Town Road - I BET you have heard it, you just don't know it.  It is all over the damn place, coming out of car windows, piped into stores, etc. etc.  Hell the have featured it on NPR more times than I can count.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

personate-rain