Author Topic: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread  (Read 7051 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Computer Repair and Upgrade Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »
I have a computer I use as a TV server - It is the only computer I own that does not have an SSD as the boot drive. Makes me wonder if I should change out the hard drive for an SSD being how cheap they are getting.

Is this an always-on server, or something you boot when you need it?

Pretty much always on - It is a low power processor

For a server that’s alway-on, I don’t personally see that much point in using an SSD for boot.  You save maybe a few minutes per year of waiting on reboots, but otherwise most of your IO will be to/from your media drives anyway.

That is why I have resisted but they have been getting pretty cheap
I wish the ultra large SSD costs would go down a bit more. Love to replace the 2 TB hard drive that I use for storage in my gaming laptop with a 4 TB SSD.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »
I have a computer I use as a TV server - It is the only computer I own that does not have an SSD as the boot drive. Makes me wonder if I should change out the hard drive for an SSD being how cheap they are getting.

Is this an always-on server, or something you boot when you need it?

Pretty much always on - It is a low power processor

For a server that’s alway-on, I don’t personally see that much point in using an SSD for boot.  You save maybe a few minutes per year of waiting on reboots, but otherwise most of your IO will be to/from your media drives anyway.

That is why I have resisted but they have been getting pretty cheap
I wish the ultra large SSD costs would go down a bit more. Love to replace the 2 TB hard drive that I use for storage in my gaming laptop with a 4 TB SSD.

I agree about the boot however there mite be other things to consider.

The SSD takes less power and produces less heat.
You cant erase data with magnets. 
No moving parts, No vibration.
Less chance of a disk fail over time.
reduces weight and interior bulk from your chassis, in some cases better airflow that does not heat up on entry, the SSDs need no cooling.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2019, 10:43:26 PM »
Installed the Crucial MX250 in my mom’s Toshiba laptop. Because she had a spare bay, I just popped it in. Because I didn’t fancy messing with Windows keys and reinstalling all her software, I cloned the disk using Acronis. I was a little worried because I’d heard bad things about Acronis, but it worked flawlessly.  It handled the six partitions on her drive sensibly, only shrinking the data partition and leaving the others alone. I was impressed.

Had some trouble getting into UFEI, but finally figured it out. switched the boot order and it booted right up. I was disappointed with the performance, however, and CrystalDiskMark showed it was maxing out around 230 MB/s sequential.  Not what I was expecting from SATA 3 @ 6 Gbps.  Did some research, and trying the other SATA port seemed to be the most recommended course.  Swapped them, rebooted, and...voila! 555 Mbps sequential.

Final results:

Cold boot: 3:00 —> 0:18
Open Chrome: 0:29 —> 0:03
Open Word: 0:21 —> 0:02
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2019, 07:40:24 PM »
I mentioned having bad ram in the Tech Woes thread and MemTest86 seems to have verified this.

the test took over 15 hours and didn't tell me anything i was hoping to find out like which ram stick(s) are bad

here are the results of the test if anyone thinks it will help

Test Start Time   2019-08-05 22:55:10
Elapsed Time   15:05:35
Memory Range Tested    0x0 - 1060000000 (67072MB)
CPU Selection Mode    Parallel (All CPUs)
ECC Polling    Enabled
# Tests Passed    21/48 (43%)
Lowest Error Address   0x8EA10FFC (2282MB)
Highest Error Address   0x71EE20550 (29166MB)
Bits in Error Mask   00000000FFFFFFFF
Bits in Error   32
Max Contiguous Errors   1

Test 0 [Address test, walking ones, 1 CPU]    4/4 (100%)    0
Test 1 [Address test, own address, 1 CPU]    4/4 (100%)    0
Test 2 [Address test, own address]    4/4 (100%)    0
Test 3 [Moving inversions, ones & zeroes]    0/4 (0%)    72
Test 4 [Moving inversions, 8-bit pattern]    0/4 (0%)    285
Test 5 [Moving inversions, random pattern]    0/4 (0%)    309
Test 6 [Block move, 64-byte blocks]    3/4 (75%)    2
Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern]    0/4 (0%)    19
Test 8 [Random number sequence]    1/4 (25%)    379
Test 9 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros]    1/4 (25%)    132
Test 10 [Bit fade test, 2 patterns, 1 CPU]    4/4 (100%)    0
Test 13 [Hammer test]    0/4 (0%)    217

Can anyone come up with any options other than pulling all the ram then testing each stick and each port individually for errors?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »
Well, you can cut it to two tests by bifurcating.  Pull half, test, and, depending on the results, test either one of your newly failed pair or one of the two you pulled.

Of course, this would really be a mess if you’ve actually got two bad DIMMs.  But what are the odds of that?

ETA: but that won’t catch a bad port.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »
Can anyone come up with any options other than pulling all the ram then testing each stick and each port individually for errors?

I RAM errors affecting my Macbook a while back. I have two ram ports, so the process was to remove one RAM module and see if the problems persisted. Then swap out with the other RAM module and test again. Then I swapped ports and repeated the test with each RAM module. I found that it was one of the RAM modules as it caused errors when connected to either port while the other module worked OK in either port.

What was most annoying is this was RAM I had replaced previously, well a local Apple service shop had replaced it, and not long after they went out of business.

So I bought a replacement RAM module and it's been working fine.

If I had a bad port, I would have tried to live with 8GB of RAM but I'm pretty sure my Macbook life would have been less pleasant, especially given the virtual Windows 10 machine I need to run alongside Mac OS.

Replacing a RAM port would be above my pay grade.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2019, 12:41:23 AM »
I really like my Asus g751jl but they put half the ram in a slop where you have to take the case apart to get to the ram. I hope I never have to replace it.

With computer repairs, the usual rule of "When You Hear Hoofbeats Look for Horses Not Zebras" is a good rule. More likely to be the ram than the slot.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2019, 05:01:09 PM »
More likely to be the ram than the slot.

At one time previously when I was trying to work out my RAM issues, for a brief time I had one RAM card that worked in one port but not in the other, but another RAM card that worked in both ports. So was it a RAM card or a port issue?

In the end the RAM card that was trouble in one but not both ports ended up being trouble in both ports, but logically at the time it may well have been a weird combination causing problems.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »
Just updated the wireless antenna/modem on an old* laptop to get my full bandwidth, with a bonus that now that laptop has bluetooth, which I need maybe one a year, but it's still nice.

The laptop isn't that old but I bought it with grant money that maxed out at 1600 bucks, so I skimped on any parts I knew I could upgrade on my own so  I could get the max CPU I load in there.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:37:12 PM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

personate-rain