Author Topic: Anyone using Wing or other alternative cell service (in the US)?  (Read 147 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
Anyone using Wing or other alternative cell service (in the US)?
« on: December 10, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
I was checking out Wing. It appears the business model is to rent bandwidth from the big carriers who own the infrastructure, and then sell that to consumers. So I could leave AT&T, buy a cheaper plan from Wing, and then use the same network anyway.
Seems like a win-win?
Or do the companies deprioritize and throttle the piggyback consumers?
I don't know much about telecom and broadband carriers, but it seems like I'm probably overpaying for my cellphone service?

ETA link: https://www.wingalpha.com/
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Anyone using Wing or other alternative cell service (in the US)?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
Sounds promising, but it doesn'r look like that much of a discount.  There has to be some throttling, though.  For example, I can't imagine traffic getting priority over the host network's traffic.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »
I'm always suspicious of discount services. Sometimes they're legit. Other times there are hidden costs, such as inferior customer service or product. I once had a discount long-distance service. Sometimes a call would not go through and then I had to use the brand-name service instead. I've always been satisfied with Verizon, and when I needed help I never had to talk to somebody in India.

I know nothing about Wing.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 12:34:44 PM »
I have Google Fi. It works well, maybe even better than local providers because cell reception can be spotty in the hilly rural region where I live. Google Fi can draw from any of 3 carriers in the area. Runs about $30/month on average with my minimal usage of data. Some months it costs less. I have just the single line. Maximum cost would be $60/month but I'm not a heavy data user so it's never been that. Limited selection of compatible phones.

When I've needed service Google always calls me back very quickly.  Throttling of data? I wouldn't know, I never do things like watch videos on a phone. Streams audio just fine with no glitches.

I'd be interested in your experience with Wing should you go that route. If you learn more about user experiences with Wing from elsewhere, let us know.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »
I have Google Fi. It works well, maybe even better than local providers because cell reception can be spotty in the hilly rural region where I live. Google Fi can draw from any of 3 carriers in the area. Runs about $30/month on average with my minimal usage of data. Some months it costs less. I have just the single line. Maximum cost would be $60/month but I'm not a heavy data user so it's never been that. Limited selection of compatible phones.

When I've needed service Google always calls me back very quickly.  Throttling of data? I wouldn't know, I never do things like watch videos on a phone. Streams audio just fine with no glitches.

I'd be interested in your experience with Wing should you go that route. If you learn more about user experiences with Wing from elsewhere, let us know.

Does Google Fi operate via the internet? If so, it's only as dependable as your internet provider. I like having my phone and internet separate. If one is out, the other might not be.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:27:29 PM »
Does Google Fi operate via the internet? If so, it's only as dependable as your internet provider. I like having my phone and internet separate. If one is out, the other might not be.

From Wikipedia,

"Google Fi is a MVNO [mobile virtual network operator] telecommunications service by Google that provides telephone calls, SMS, and mobile broadband using cellular networks and Wi-Fi. Google Fi uses networks operated by Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular"

"Google Fi automatically switches between networks depending on signal strength and speed. It can automatically connect to open Wi-Fi hotspots while securing data with encryption through an automatic VPN. Phone calls will seamlessly transition to a cellular network if Wi-Fi coverage is lost."

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »

From Wikipedia,

"Google Fi is a MVNO [mobile virtual network operator] telecommunications service by Google that provides telephone calls, SMS, and mobile broadband using cellular networks and Wi-Fi. Google Fi uses networks operated by Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular"

"Google Fi automatically switches between networks depending on signal strength and speed. It can automatically connect to open Wi-Fi hotspots while securing data with encryption through an automatic VPN. Phone calls will seamlessly transition to a cellular network if Wi-Fi coverage is lost."

Sounds clever. Thanks for posting that.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

personate-rain