Author Topic: Episode #737  (Read 1618 times)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Episode #737
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 04:40:02 AM »
Since power already is a rate, saying things like "a watt per hour" makes no sense.

It can make sense, but I definitely agree it doesn't in this context.

Where dW/dt makes sense is when you are talking about the rate of change of power output, for example a grid scale power generator or storage facility needs to know the rate at which it can ramp up and down power output.

Pendantic comment.

But technically correct.  ;)

Not pedantic (or pendantic) at all! Alex makes a great point. The rate of change of power makes as much sense as any other second order time derivative (e.g., acceleration).

I think some folks are being way too hard on Jay on this issue (and the rogues in general). They deliver a ton of content each week, and occasionally they are going to misspeak or use terms incorrectly. I've certainly been guilty of being too hard on them for errors in the past, but I'm trying to focus on being appreciative of all the great things they do and not the extremely rare small errors that sneak in. It's important to identify and correct errors, but it should be done in a kind and generous way.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 05:48:16 AM »
I will continue to feed my dogs a "grain free" diet.  They will get meat and veggies just like their alpha male.  Like humans, grains were never part of their ancestral diet and like humans, are not beneficial to their longterm health (especially joint heath).

Steve was pulling shit from his ass saying that dogs need carbohydrates...  even humans don't need carbohydrates.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 08:28:50 AM »
I will continue to feed my dogs a "grain free" diet.  They will get meat and veggies just like their alpha male.  Like humans, grains were never part of their ancestral diet and like humans, are not beneficial to their longterm health (especially joint heath).

Steve was pulling shit from his ass saying that dogs need carbohydrates...  even humans don't need carbohydrates.
That's the marketing on the dogfood packaging not the body of research. First off as said in the show dogs aren't wolves. Dogs have adapted to an omnivorous lifestyle along with us. It makes no more sense than trying to feed a panda a carnivorous diet.

Now do dog or humans need carbohydrates. No both can survive on the othe 2 macronutrients. That said a balance of all 3 is better than focusing on or excluding one. The dangers of fad diets are well documented in humans is it any wonder that they would crop up in animal fad diets too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:37:09 AM by lucek »
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Online lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
Tangentially who here games. I was thinking of my cable company. I pay $93 a month to get advertised 15meg up (real 9.3) so I can host game servers locally. They try to sell me on a bundle to have higher download with tv and phone for less(more if you include the box rental oh and the price doubles after the times up) but only advertised 5 megs up. So yeah i might be able to host half a person.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
I would love to get a total-body transplant, but only if everything functioned properly and the body was strong and healthy and I could continue my active life. I don't think I'd want to live if I could not be active. Which at this point in my life means paddling. So I'd need them to be able to properly connect the spine and its nerves.
Where will these strong and healthy bodies come from, primarily?

Online lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 02:23:38 PM »
I would love to get a total-body transplant, but only if everything functioned properly and the body was strong and healthy and I could continue my active life. I don't think I'd want to live if I could not be active. Which at this point in my life means paddling. So I'd need them to be able to properly connect the spine and its nerves.

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 04:07:06 PM »
The toupee fallacy is an interpretation error in an observer or class of observers. In no way does it apply towards proving the existence of toupees. This reminds me of a previous Spot the Logical Fallacy where the guy claimed that the vast majority of UFO sightings are bogus or mistaken, but that leaves some that are unexplainable and probably aliens. Sorry, probability doesn't work that way.

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »
The U2 can fly to the "edge of space" (colloquially) at 70,000 feet. Air pressure at that altitude is about 0.06 atmospheres, which is still 6 times the density of Mars. My rough calculations show that you have to double that altitude to around 130,000 feet to match the pressure on the surface of Mars. Enjoy!

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 06:16:51 PM »

Well, dogs need calories, just like humans.  But grains were part of the ancestral diet of both dogs and humans.  Like humans, dogs genetically have 15 to 20 copies of the gene for amylase (the enzyme for breaking down the starch in grains).

https://www.livescience.com/26513-starchy-human-diet-domesticated-dogs.html

Before the agricultural revolution, humans were eating the grains from wild grasses as a small part of their normal diet.  And then humans noticed mutations in wild grasses resulting in the grains failing to detach spontaneously causing the grass needing to be threshed making it easier to collect the grains, so these mutants were selectively bred.  And then with thousands of years of selective breeding, we have the variants we have today.

And humans underwent evolution making us genetically adapted to eating grains as a major part of our diet, just like the semi-wild wolves which domesticated themselves by scavenging from human refuse to become our dogs, by acquiring multiple copies of the genes for amylase.

Actually, the wild grains domesticated humans, not the other way around.  The wild grains that have come to form our staple food sources such as wheat and rice have done extremely well, with their wild relatives being rare.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:48:25 PM by bachfiend »
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 07:26:03 PM »

Volunteers.

Reality TV show losers.

The black market.

Members of end-times cults.

People who want to have their head frozen so that they wake up in the far-distant future when there are sex bots.

I don't much care where the donor body comes from, just so it's healthy and all the spinal nerves can be properly attached.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 07:45:08 PM »

Volunteers.

Reality TV show losers.

The black market.

People who want to have their head frozen so that they wake up in the far-distant future when there are sex bots.

I don't much care where the donor body comes from, just so it's healthy and all the spinal nerves can be properly attached.

Sometimes you take such principled stands, Daniel.  At other times you’re a selfish, murderous monster. This is one of the latter times.

You’ve frequently expressed, Daniel, the opinion that you are too unattractive to find a romantic partner.  I’d like to suggest that maybe, just, maybe, the fact that you have not found a partner has nothing to do with your physical appearance at all.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »

Volunteers.

Reality TV show losers.

The black market.

Sometimes you take such principled stands, Daniel.  At other times you’re a selfish, murderous monster. This is one of the latter times.

You’ve frequently expressed, Daniel, the opinion that you are too unattractive to find a romantic partner.  I’d like to suggest that maybe, just, maybe, the fact that you have not found a partner has nothing to do with your physical appearance at all.

Sometimes I wonder whether daniel1948 is just pulling our chains, just coming out with deliberately outrageous statements? 

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 10:34:11 PM »

Volunteers.
Reality TV show losers.
The black market.

Basically anyone will do as long as their name is not Abby Normal.

Offline bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 11:10:45 PM »

Volunteers.
Reality TV show losers.
The black market.

Basically anyone will do as long as their name is not Abby Normal.

I subscribe yearly to the concerts of the local orchestra.  The admission tickets are marked ‘Substandard.’  That’s highly derogatory.  I want them to be marked ‘Abnormal,’ with the ‘Ab-‘ from ‘abonnement’ (a yearly ticket), and the ‘-normal,’ because I pay the normal price of the tickets.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 01:23:46 AM »
Since power already is a rate, saying things like "a watt per hour" makes no sense.

It can make sense, but I definitely agree it doesn't in this context.

Where dW/dt makes sense is when you are talking about the rate of change of power output, for example a grid scale power generator or storage facility needs to know the rate at which it can ramp up and down power output.

Pendantic comment.

But technically correct.  ;)

Technically INcorrect. dW/dt is power.  W is the abbreviation for work:   

Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain