Author Topic: Episode #737  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: Episode #737
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2019, 02:36:21 AM »
Since power already is a rate, saying things like "a watt per hour" makes no sense.

It can make sense, but I definitely agree it doesn't in this context.

Where dW/dt makes sense is when you are talking about the rate of change of power output, for example a grid scale power generator or storage facility needs to know the rate at which it can ramp up and down power output.

Pendantic comment.

But technically correct.  ;)

Technically INcorrect. dW/dt is power.  W is the abbreviation for work:   
lol

nice pickup

I was of course using the SI unit W (for watt) to keep it in line with the original quote "watts per hour", but yes you are right I should have used "P", the common physics abbreviation for power to say the unit "watts per hour" is a legitimate expression of dP/dt, being the rate of change of power.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 04:32:57 AM »
Since power already is a rate, saying things like "a watt per hour" makes no sense.

It can make sense, but I definitely agree it doesn't in this context.

Where dW/dt makes sense is when you are talking about the rate of change of power output, for example a grid scale power generator or storage facility needs to know the rate at which it can ramp up and down power output.

Pendantic comment.

But technically correct.  ;)

Technically INcorrect. dW/dt is power.  W is the abbreviation for work:   
lol

nice pickup

I was of course using the SI unit W (for watt) to keep it in line with the original quote "watts per hour", but yes you are right I should have used "P", the common physics abbreviation for power to say the unit "watts per hour" is a legitimate expression of dP/dt, being the rate of change of power.

I assumed Alex was using W as the variable for power. But yeah, I guess W standing for work makes sense ;) In math, W often is shorthand for W(t), a Wiener process.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »
I would love to get a total-body transplant, but only if everything functioned properly and the body was strong and healthy and I could continue my active life. I don't think I'd want to live if I could not be active. Which at this point in my life means paddling. So I'd need them to be able to properly connect the spine and its nerves.
Where will these strong and healthy bodies come from, primarily?

Volunteers.

Reality TV show losers.

The black market.

Members of end-times cults.

People who want to have their head frozen so that they wake up in the far-distant future when there are sex bots.

I don't much care where the donor body comes from, just so it's healthy and all the spinal nerves can be properly attached.

Sometimes you take such principled stands, Daniel.  At other times you’re a selfish, murderous monster. This is one of the latter times.

You’ve frequently expressed, Daniel, the opinion that you are too unattractive to find a romantic partner.  I’d like to suggest that maybe, just, maybe, the fact that you have not found a partner has nothing to do with your physical appearance at all.

I admit to being selfish. But I would never have anyone killed. For any reason. Period. I donate to charitable and progressive organizations. I've done volunteer work for good causes. I oppose cruelty in all its forms, including forms that our society regards as acceptable, such as war and the slaughter of animals for food.

But I admit that I hate the fact that my body is wearing out, and I would love to have a new body. I would also love to have a pet Bengal tiger. But I would never actually keep a tiger as a pet. I see nothing wrong with admitting that I'd like a new body.

My answer above to "Where would you get the bodies" was a joke. Obviously one that fell flat. My jokes often fall flat, just as I often fail to see the humor in other people's jokes. To be clear, I would not actually have anyone killed to harvest their body. But I do wish that I could be young again. And I admit to a sick sense of humor.

I think we had a similar exchange in discussing the movie Jupiter Ascending when I said I'd take the potion. You're probably right that I'm a terrible person. Oddly, my friends disagree. Maybe they get it that my jokes are not intended seriously. Maybe they think my actions are important and the things I wish for are not.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
What we need to do is match the people who want head transplants with the people who want body transplants.  Problem solved!
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
Was anyone else disappointed that nobody mentioned Peter Popoff's claim that his "miracle spring water" comes from a swimming pool near the Chernobyl disaster? The water apparently comes from Costco, so it struck me as sort of a reverse snake-oil. The MMS hucksters are peddling poison as a cure, whereas Popoff is basically peddling water from a nuclear disaster.

https://skepticalinquirer.org/exclusive/the_woman_who_took_on_popoff_the_hidden_story_of_crystal_sanchez_the_peter_/
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »
My answer above to "Where would you get the bodies" was a joke. Obviously one that fell flat.

Anyone with a sense of humor could see that it was a joke.  The implications of the contrapositive of that statement is left as an exercise.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
My answer above to "Where would you get the bodies" was a joke. Obviously one that fell flat.

Anyone with a sense of humor could see that it was a joke.

Thank you.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2019, 08:16:46 PM »

Anyone with a sense of humor could see that it was a joke.  The implications of the contrapositive of that statement is left as an exercise.

Yes, the first category being "volunteers" gave that away.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2019, 10:54:49 PM »
If we trade bodies, can I get Social Security?
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »

Yes, the first category being "volunteers" gave that away.

Well, there is the rare phenomenon of consensual homicide where someone agrees to be murdered despite being healthy (it’s not euthanasia).  It forms the plot of one of the Joe Reacher novels, and there have been a few cases where the murderer and murderee have met on the Internet.

Someone could volunteer to be a body donor, as a form of consensual homicide, rare though it would be
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »

Just like the Chinese political prisoner that was executed to "donate" your new body...

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
Well, there is the rare phenomenon of consensual homicide where someone agrees to be murdered despite being healthy (it’s not euthanasia).  It forms the plot of one of the Joe Reacher novels, and there have been a few cases where the murderer and murderee have met on the Internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

"You are what you eat."

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »
I would love to get a total-body transplant, but only if everything functioned properly and the body was strong and healthy and I could continue my active life. I don't think I'd want to live if I could not be active. Which at this point in my life means paddling. So I'd need them to be able to properly connect the spine and its nerves.
Where will these strong and healthy bodies come from, primarily?

Volunteers.

Reality TV show losers.

The black market.

Members of end-times cults.

People who want to have their head frozen so that they wake up in the far-distant future when there are sex bots.

I don't much care where the donor body comes from, just so it's healthy and all the spinal nerves can be properly attached.

Sometimes you take such principled stands, Daniel.  At other times you’re a selfish, murderous monster. This is one of the latter times.

You’ve frequently expressed, Daniel, the opinion that you are too unattractive to find a romantic partner.  I’d like to suggest that maybe, just, maybe, the fact that you have not found a partner has nothing to do with your physical appearance at all.

I admit to being selfish. But I would never have anyone killed. For any reason. Period.

If, as you said, you would accept bodies from 'volunteers' and 'the black market,' you would in fact be having people killed. You now say that you were joking, but do you recognize that that is the implication of your 'joke.'

I do not think it is as obvious as you claim when one considers that Daniel has previously said (and clarified that he did, in fact, mean it) that if given the power he would sterilize every human being on earth.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
I vote for using the brainless clone bodies that have been maintained by an external AI.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »
he would sterilize every human being on earth.

Fights climate change.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

personate-rain
personate-rain