Author Topic: Episode #737  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
Re: Episode #737
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »
It has been unreliable and renews calls for a second Basslink. Most people think it will more likely be November before it's up and running.

It will require a second link for Tasmanian pumped hydro to contribute to the NEM in a more meaningful manner, in a "battery of the nation" sense.

Speaking of HVDC cables, there is currently a proposal for a 10GW solar farm and a 20GW-30GWh storage facility in the Northern Territory to export electricity via HVDC cable to Singapore.

https://www.power-technology.com/news/sun-cable-northern-territory-australia/
https://www.afr.com/companies/energy/nt-mega-solar-project-draws-interest-from-investors-20190801-p52d1r

I don't know how realistic this is, governments in the NT tend to be a little grandiose at times with project talk.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2019, 05:22:42 AM »
NZ relies heavily on HVDC, mostly getting hydro to Te Ika-a-Māui from Te Waipounamu, and occasionally in reverse when Huey doesn't send enough rain.  I think we are 80% renewable, and should be 100% If people  weren't so squeamish about turbines.  I mean, Aotearoa is wind.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »
BTW, "Bass" as in the Bass Strait, is pronounced like the fish, not like the instrument. Just in case you were wondering.

Carry on!

Thank you. I was pronouncing it right. It looked to me as though it should be pronounced like the fish. Maybe that's because I live on an island, and you can never hear the (instrument) bass in an orchestra. I'm not sure what its purpose is. Depending on the stops chosen, you can often hear the pedal very well in an organ piece, but never the "double bass" in an orchestra. Even two of them are not enough. I played the bass briefly as a kid. I was in the school's junior orchestra. It didn't matter that I couldn't keep my place in the sheet music or get the notes right, because nobody could hear us. When I lost my place my fellow bass player would notice that I wasn't playing and point to our place on the music sheet.

So fish-pronounced Basslink it is. I am impressed that they can build a transmission line that long.

Note: Don't try to learn to play an unfretted string instrument if you have a tin ear.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
Note: Don't try to learn to play an unfretted string instrument if you have a tin ear.
Pass that advice along to singers, will you? Excepting Bob Dylan and the like.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
Pass that advice along to singers, will you? Excepting Bob Dylan and the like.

Are there a lot of tin-eared singers trying to play unfretted instruments? Most of the music I listen to is played or sung by people with extensive training that you don't get through if you have a tin ear. I, for example, would never have made it from the junior orchestra to the senior orchestra. The junior orchestra was for kids who wanted to learn but who as yet had zero ability. I pity the poor music teachers. We must have sounded ghastly. You didn't get into the senior orchestra until you could actually play your instrument a little bit.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2019, 05:24:16 PM »
Bass Strait, across which Basslink lies, was named after British naval surgeon and explorer George Bass.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2019, 09:20:58 PM »
BTW, "Bass" as in the Bass Strait, is pronounced like the fish, not like the instrument. Just in case you were wondering.

Carry on!

Thank you. I was pronouncing it right. It looked to me as though it should be pronounced like the fish. Maybe that's because I live on an island, and you can never hear the (instrument) bass in an orchestra. I'm not sure what its purpose is. Depending on the stops chosen, you can often hear the pedal very well in an organ piece, but never the "double bass" in an orchestra. Even two of them are not enough. I played the bass briefly as a kid. I was in the school's junior orchestra. It didn't matter that I couldn't keep my place in the sheet music or get the notes right, because nobody could hear us. When I lost my place my fellow bass player would notice that I wasn't playing and point to our place on the music sheet.

So fish-pronounced Basslink it is. I am impressed that they can build a transmission line that long.

You'll be hearing it, but if the conductor is doing their job right, it'll be one component of a gestalt sound. I bet you wouldn't be able to identify the violas, either.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2019, 09:52:18 PM »

Carry on!

You'll be hearing it, but if the conductor is doing their job right, it'll be one component of a gestalt sound. I bet you wouldn't be able to identify the violas, either.

I went to a concert last Saturday night, the Schumann piano concerto, and the orchestra was arranged differently, with the double basses on the far left instead of far right, the first and second violins across the entire stage, the violas and the piano in their standard position - I can’t say that the orchestral sound was any different.  Or that I heard the double basses.

The only instrument I can really pick out when it’s off key is the French horn, which is an instrument difficult to play in tune always.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
... I bet you wouldn't be able to identify the violas, either.

Depends on the ratio of violas to violins. ;D Also, violas and violins overlap so much that it would take a better ear than mine to distinguish between a violin and a viola in a blinded test.

I much prefer the smaller baroque orchestras to the much larger classical ones. The larger ones are too noisy. I feel that I can hear the music better when there are fewer instruments. Much of my favorite music is played by solo instruments. The Bach solo violin, cello, harpsichord, and organ pieces, and even the organ can sound cluttered sometimes.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
I'm a fan of chamber music too. But I still appreciate a full Beethoven symphony. Big sound, lots of drama.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
I'm a fan of chamber music too. But I still appreciate a full Beethoven symphony. Big sound, lots of drama.

I personally prefer my Beethoven symphonies performed on orchestras closer in size to that of Beethoven’s day.  Something of the size of the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra.  I love their cycle of recordings of them, in particular the pianoforte continuo, which adds novelty.

The trouble with very large orchestras performing Beethoven is that not only are they loud, but they’re also often slow.  The 9th has often been recorded at lengths longer than 72’ (and when CDs were first introduced in the ‘80s one ‘problem’ was getting the Beethoven 9 onto one CD).  I think nowadays the best recordings should be fast’ish’ and transparent.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?