Author Topic: How do you make it without meat?  (Read 1460 times)

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: How do you make it without meat?
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2019, 07:34:17 AM »
There are environmental reasons for reducing meat consumption, including reducing energy consumption in producing, transporting and cooking the meat.  It’s hardly an environmental gain in reducing meat consumption with a food item that requires much more energy to prepare.  So I’m pointing out that you should know how much energy your choices involve.

My electricity provider on its bills always include a note that if the bill seems to increased unexpectedly for the customer to consider whether some new fancy electrical gadget has been purchased.

Have you considered how the waste heat can contribute to heating your home during winter?

I don’t use or need heating my home during winter.  Perth, Australia doesn’t get cold often in winter.  If it does, I put on another layer of clothes.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2019, 01:27:17 PM »

I have no intention in "making it without meat".  I mean, what's the fucking point. 

... humans generally like meat and have since the beginning.

Maybe you should start a MEAT! FTW thread in which you promote the virtues of carrion consumption amongst a more receptive audience.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »

I have no intention in "making it without meat".  I mean, what's the fucking point. 

Maybe you should start a MEAT! FTW thread in which you promote the virtues of carrion consumption amongst a more receptive audience.
That’s not how it works here. Vegetarians post in the chicken sandwich topic and anyone who disagrees with LCHF diets can post in that thread which is exactly as it should be.

FWIW whenever I see the title of this thread I always read it as saying “How do you make it (survive) without meat?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »
How about we all just share the recipes and cooking styles that we like without criticizing. Then people can decide for themselves what they consider healthy, energy efficient, filling and tasty.

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2019, 06:43:58 PM »

That’s not how it works here. Vegetarians post in the chicken sandwich topic and anyone who disagrees with LCHF diets can post in that thread which is exactly as it should be.

FWIW whenever I see the title of this thread I always read it as saying “How do you make it (survive) without meat?”

If the topic of this thread was the health benefits of going meat-free, then meat-eaters would be perfectly justified in commenting about the health benefits of eating meat.

But it isn’t.  The subject of this thread is how to reduce meat consumption for health (questionable), environmental and ethical reasons (both on more solid foundations).  If anyone was making health claims for vegetarian diets in this thread (which I don’t think anyone has, besides Quetzalcoatl in the opening comment), then you’d be justified.

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »
How about we all just share the recipes and cooking styles that we like without criticizing. Then people can decide for themselves what they consider healthy, energy efficient, filling and tasty.

Fair enough.  But also include an estimate of the environmental and other costs involved, since the starting comment was about reducing meat consumption for health, environmental and ethical reasons.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
this guy did an off the grid test of an Instapot

Test Results:
5-minute steamer cycle used 9.59 amp hours
30-minute pressure cooking cycle used 16.9 amp hours
A 4-hour slow cooker cycle used 24.5 amp hours

I was extremely pleased with the results. During the tests, I discovered that the Instant Pot used a little over 60 amps, but that was mainly during its heating and pressurizing stages. After that it went into an intermittent cycling mode, only drawing power as needed. My 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter easily handled the load.

Its fantastic for quickly making rice and porridge, steaming/pressure cooking vegetables and meats. Pressure cooking cooks things in a quarter of the time so you save a lot of energy. You can also saute right in the pot, it gets hot enough to fry onions, carrots, and celery to get some color on your aromatics then you can add your other ingredients and pressure cook.  It works especially well for quickly brazing meats or hard vegetables.  Q also mentioned that he was probably not giving up meat completely and this is a way to cook tasty meals that take up less energy and time.

Its nothing like your grandmas crockpot but it can work like that too.
That video was rediculous. He’s using indirect measurements of power consumption and doesn’t know how his devices work.

64amps at 110 volts on an instapot? 

Sorry I turned the video off at that.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2019, 07:37:50 PM »
this guy did an off the grid test of an Instapot

Test Results:
5-minute steamer cycle used 9.59 amp hours
30-minute pressure cooking cycle used 16.9 amp hours
A 4-hour slow cooker cycle used 24.5 amp hours

I was extremely pleased with the results. During the tests, I discovered that the Instant Pot used a little over 60 amps, but that was mainly during its heating and pressurizing stages. After that it went into an intermittent cycling mode, only drawing power as needed. My 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter easily handled the load.

Its fantastic for quickly making rice and porridge, steaming/pressure cooking vegetables and meats. Pressure cooking cooks things in a quarter of the time so you save a lot of energy. You can also saute right in the pot, it gets hot enough to fry onions, carrots, and celery to get some color on your aromatics then you can add your other ingredients and pressure cook.  It works especially well for quickly brazing meats or hard vegetables.  Q also mentioned that he was probably not giving up meat completely and this is a way to cook tasty meals that take up less energy and time.

Its nothing like your grandmas crockpot but it can work like that too.
That video was rediculous. He’s using indirect measurements of power consumption and doesn’t know how his devices work.

Sorry I turned the video off at that.

It’s possible to convert amp.hr to kW.hr.  Using the example of the 4 hour slow-cooking cycle, it uses around 2.7 kW.hr of energy, or an average of 675 watts power (which is rather a lot over 4 hours).  Almost as much electricity I use in a day.

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »

It’s possible to convert amp.hr to kW.hr. 

I think the problem is he thinks he's getting 60 amps out of a circuit that's probably fused for 20.
Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain
personate-rain