Poll

How painful is an ice cream headache on a scale of 0 to 10? There is no pain above 10 because you pass out.

0: no pain at all
10: uncontrollably writhing in all-consuming agony

Author Topic: Pain Scales  (Read 900 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Pain Scales
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:19:33 PM »
I think we may be able to calibrate pain scales using ice cream headaches as a standard candle.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Pain Scales
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »
Does this include psychological pain?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:45:03 AM »
It is this kind of headache I'm talking about:

https://i.imgur.com/IH1PMal.gifv
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
The problem with this is that there are many factors that affect the severity of pain beyond its intensity: duration, quality, location, etc. While an ice cream headache can indeed be extremely painful, it is a pain which is short in duration and which I know will not persist.  It is therefore significantly more endurable even than moderate chronic pain.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
All fair points. I was looking for intensity only, however.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
But my point is that I do not think that I can reliably separate intensity from the other factors I mentioned in assigning a subjective number to pain.

An ice cream headache is certainly not the worst pain I have ever felt; I have never felt, for instance, that I might vomit if faint due to the pain of an ice cream headache.  Nor do I think it is even the worst headache that I’ve had, though I’m not sure I am able to separate the quality and duration of the pain from its intensity, especially in this case.

The worst pain I have ever felt was slipping on stairs and landing with all of my weight on my coccyx. While I did not quite faint, I nearly did so. For what it’s worth, no ice cream headache has approached that pain.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
Post-gout my pain scale is all fucked up.  I didn't know there was that much pain in the world.  A couple years ago when I was having (ultimately not serious) nutsack issues, I was flummoxed by the pain scale.  Pre-gout I probably would have categorized the nutsack pain as like 7 or 8, but post-gout it was maybe 4.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »
Post-gout my pain scale is all fucked up.  I didn't know there was that much pain in the world.  A couple years ago when I was having (ultimately not serious) nutsack issues, I was flummoxed by the pain scale.  Pre-gout I probably would have categorized the nutsack pain as like 7 or 8, but post-gout it was maybe 4.

Let's see acupuncturists claim to treat gout.

May I ask what your solution for gout turned out to be? There are different approaches, just curious.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
At one point the doctors were telling me "it's okay to pass out!" I had no intention of doing so. One of the nurses ran out of the room.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
When I was in the ER with my heart attack, the doctor asked me to rate my pain.  I told him it was about a 4.  He looked me in the eye and said, "Mr. Jones, I know you are trying to put on a brave face for your family, but we really need to know what your pain level is so we can accurately treat you".  I said, "You just popped me with morphine like ten minutes ago.  I'm good."
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 12:15:46 PM »

May I ask what your solution for gout turned out to be? There are different approaches, just curious.

Allopurninol, colchicine, and eliminating fish from my diet, all for the rest of my life.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
I'd like it more if it had evocative descriptions like the Schmidt Sting Pain Index. I can place ""Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like walking over flaming charcoal with a three inch nail embedded in your heel" much better than a simple "8".

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:59 PM »

Allopurninol, colchicine, and eliminating fish from my diet, all for the rest of my life.

I got lucky, just need the colchicine prn and a dietary elimination which I dare not violate. Haven't had to take colchicine for a few years now. The pain in my big toe was incredible, wanted to shoot the toe clean off.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
I'd like it more if it had evocative descriptions like the Schmidt Sting Pain Index. I can place ""Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like walking over flaming charcoal with a three inch nail embedded in your heel" much better than a simple "8".

Sure. In this case I was looking for an intensity rating on a single, specific, commonly experienced pain.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 06:30:35 PM »

If that's your idea of an 8, I think I'd pass out just reading your description of what would constitute a 10. (This board needs more emojis. Please imagine I put an EEK! emoji here.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck