Poll

How painful is an ice cream headache on a scale of 0 to 10? There is no pain above 10 because you pass out.

0: no pain at all
10: uncontrollably writhing in all-consuming agony

Author Topic: Pain Scales  (Read 1547 times)

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Pain Scales
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
I wish I could like that more than once.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2019, 02:13:59 AM »
A pathologist's needle in a neuroma in the neck is 11/10.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2019, 02:20:21 AM »
Your insistence that all other aspects of the pain are irrelevant to my rating of the pain is, therefore, unjustified and, in my opinion, offensive.

Lately, Latinist, one cannot help but notice, everything in your opinion is offensive.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 10:03:22 PM »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2019, 07:39:29 PM »
Last Saturday I was put on a new medication. Took it at bedtime and it gave me a migraine in my sleep. The medicine kept me asleep but I could still feel the pain. That was horrible.
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2019, 02:49:30 AM »
I voted two, but I think I did that mostly because it is normally so short. If it was a chronic thing, it would be a lot more than that. I should have thought more before I voted.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2020, 05:25:54 PM »

I doubt Galileo ever said that.
Why?

It just sounds to me like a made-up quote. Further, Galileo would not have been criticized by anybody for caving in to the Inquisition. Everybody knew how bad it was to fall into their clutches.
LOL. There's always somebody.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »

Why?

It just sounds to me like a made-up quote. Further, Galileo would not have been criticized by anybody for caving in to the Inquisition. Everybody knew how bad it was to fall into their clutches.

Not for long. Criticizing somebody for caving in to agreeing with the inquisition would likely get you brought in by the inquisition for "questioning." Galileo did not change his opinions, but he probably didn't mutter "And yet it moves" as they led him away from the room where they showed him the instruments of torture. Just about anybody would recant of anything, and keep their mouth shut afterwards, if threatened with torture.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »

Why?

Not for long. Criticizing somebody for caving in to agreeing with the inquisition would likely get you brought in by the inquisition for "questioning." Galileo did not change his opinions, but he probably didn't mutter "And yet it moves" as they led him away from the room where they showed him the instruments of torture. Just about anybody would recant of anything, and keep their mouth shut afterwards, if threatened with torture.

The quote eppur si muove is often misattributed to Galileo, but my understanding that it was actually uttered by Giordano Bruno.
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »

Why?

The quote eppur si muove is often misattributed to Galileo, but my understanding that it was actually uttered by Giordano Bruno.

This I can believe, since he was burned alive by the Inquisition. (Though apparently his views on other areas of dogma were of more concern to the Church than were his views on astronomy. He seems to have rejected pretty much all of the Church's core doctrines.) It sounds like a case of a famous saying being transferred from a relatively unknown person to a person who is very widely known.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2020, 09:43:10 AM »
A little research suggests that the phrase 'and yet it moves,' while not included in contemporary biographies, appears on a painting of Galileo from shortly after his death.  It seems at least to have been associated with him as early as the 1600's.  My guess is that it's apocryphal. I've never heard that Bruno said it, and I don't find any creditable sources for it.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »
I think the pain scale goes up after an extended period of time.  Stress and exhaustion start to come into play making it worse.

I'm dealing with upper back pain, probably a pinched nerve. Its been going on for more than 4 weeks. I would put it at a 5 when it started but now i'm up to 7, I'm fucking over it and its time to move on to stronger drugs. (I have been doing 800 ibuprofen and THC)

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
I think the pain scale goes up after an extended period of time.  Stress and exhaustion start to come into play making it worse.

I'm dealing with upper back pain, probably a pinched nerve. Its been going on for more than 4 weeks. I would put it at a 5 when it started but now i'm up to 7, I'm fucking over it and its time to move on to stronger drugs. (I have been doing 800 ibuprofen and THC)

Very sorry to hear about this. Back pain can be debilitating. I hope you manage to figure out the cause and fix it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2020, 07:32:51 PM »
A little research suggests that the phrase 'and yet it moves,' while not included in contemporary biographies, appears on a painting of Galileo from shortly after his death.  It seems at least to have been associated with him as early as the 1600's.  My guess is that it's apocryphal. I've never heard that Bruno said it, and I don't find any creditable sources for it.

I can't remember where I first heard that. It may have been in the book Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel, which I haven't read in many years. It may have been in some other book. So treat my claim as it deserves.  :P
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

personate-rain
personate-rain