Author Topic: Cell Phone - 2019 Edition?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Cell Phone - 2019 Edition?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 11:15:48 PM »
Well, I hope I did not screw up. Went with a used Galaxy S9+. The specs are really only a little less than the S10+ generally. Cost only a little more than the A50 and has many of the features that I was concerned with as far as the A50.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 12:01:19 AM »
I avoided contracts like that up here (Canada) for a long time. Pretty much all our carriers have payment plans with negligible interest now. You just buy out the remainder of you contract if you want to move to another carrier. Ours are all equally shitty though.

I haven't had a fixed-term cellular contract since AT&T stopped subsidizing phone purchases.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 08:42:18 AM »
We are on Sprint as well and have the Samsung Galaxy s8. We are eligible for upgrades but don't see a reason yet to do it. Once more 5g phones come out might reconsider but don't have a need yet. I read that most Americans are now keeping phones longer. It makes sense, once they are good enough no need to keep upgrading every 2 years. We are past the point of noticing a few more pixels or gb's of storage.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »
For me the upgrade tipping point was the camera. Now that my camera is this good? I'm good with he phone for quite a while.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »
We are on Sprint as well and have the Samsung Galaxy s8. We are eligible for upgrades but don't see a reason yet to do it. Once more 5g phones come out might reconsider but don't have a need yet. I read that most Americans are now keeping phones longer. It makes sense, once they are good enough no need to keep upgrading every 2 years. We are past the point of noticing a few more pixels or gb's of storage.

I like the S5 but when keep losing network connection and almost out of internal space (Has 16 Gb which something 15.2 Gb is used), getting to the point where moving to a new phone seems to be the best option.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 01:47:44 PM »
It was really weird for me the first year I didn't feel technolust for the new crop of phones. Some of the newer phones have features that I think are neat, but nothing that would motivate me to upgrade. At this point I'd need a pretty radically new feature to make me want to move. I feel stirrings in my loins when imagining a full colour e-ink screen with a 60Hz refresh rate. I don't see that coming any time soon though. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »
The technology has matured.  Pretty much any iPhone since the iPhone 6 is still perfectly functional for what 99% of people need.  Sure, the newer ones are faster, and they've got some novel features.  But they work.  In that way they are becoming more like a laptop that one can use for 4-5 years before replacing without feeling as if your experience is crippled.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 08:11:45 PM »
With the expansion SD cards, the only reason I upgraded when I did was my phone started getting glitchy.  There was some short in the screen connection somewhere and it wouldn't always accept touches, sometimes blink on and off.  It probably could have been repaired, but the cost of repairs was near half the cost of a new phone so it was just easier to upgrade.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 08:29:14 PM »
Nice new icon, TL. I agree with your assessment.

I've been in the same boat re:upgrades, Calinthalus. I'll admit there have been a few times when I kinda hoped my phone would just break so I could move on to the new hotness. :)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
Nice new icon, TL.

Thanks.  Got my hands on a legit copy of Illustrator, which I’d always wanted to learn, so I’ve been playing.  I know Bézier curves from when I used to design fonts, so the learning curve has been shallower than it otherwise might have been.  I had to relearn some lessons that I’d learned long ago, though.

Unfortunately, these colors don’t work well on a light background. I’m going to need to come up with an alternative color palette. That is *not* my forte, though.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 11:49:25 PM »
I'm a little late to the thread, but I've upgraded frequently before because my phones kept crapping out on me.  Going from my S7 Edge to my current Note 9 was the first major one I've chosen to actually upgrade just to upgrade in a long time.  I see no need to upgrade any time soon though.  The Note 10 does nothing for me and no other phones have enough of a draw for me to even tempt me to trade up.  I like my S-Pen, headphone jack, and SD card.  The only feature that's piqued my interest at all are the Oppo Reno and Huawei P30 with their massive optical zoom capabilities.  I think the P30 is like a 50x, built-in.  Absolutely nuts.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 06:57:46 AM »
I like my S-Pen, headphone jack

My current over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones work so flawlessly over Bluetooth I can easily forgo a headphone jack. Of course the headphones cost more than the phone itself.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 07:18:01 AM »
I like my S-Pen, headphone jack

My current over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones work so flawlessly over Bluetooth I can easily forgo a headphone jack. Of course the headphones cost more than the phone itself.

Yeah, I do use the jack pretty infrequently.  I just like having the option.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 07:20:22 AM »
Yeah, I do use the jack pretty infrequently.  I just like having the option.
I do have a jack, so yeah, not bad to have the option.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
How long does it take to charge via wireless? The S5 does not have that ability but the S9 does. Is it worth getting a charging pad / stand?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain