Author Topic: Cell Phone - 2019 Edition?  (Read 647 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Cell Phone - 2019 Edition?
« on: August 28, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »
I currently have a galaxy S5 that I have had since 2014
I am using Sprint as my network.

Since last year, I have had a problem with my phone getting somehow partially knocked off the network where I no longer receive calls.  I update my profile and PRL and back to normal service. Looking at newer phones, I notice the 4G Bands have changed somewhat and wondering what if that is causing it.

I also don't have much onboard space left. I have a micro SD that has plenty of space however. I think the problem is that programs have grown in size and what was once ample space no longer is.

Trying to look for good options. I would like to upgrade to a flavor of Galaxy S10 but loath to pay the $800 to $1200 price tag. Even if made in payments, still jack my bill up by about $50 a month. Looked at the Google Pixel 3a but no SD slot.   Looked at the Galaxy A50 maybe. While I like Galaxy phones, if somebody has an alternative, I am not against suggestions? Want an android phone better than mine with an SD expansion slot?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:11:59 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Cell Phone - 2019 Edition?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »
I wanted to go with a Pixel this last upgrade, but they don't have an SD slot so that was a no-go for me.  Currently I'm on Verizon and carrying a Motorola Moto z3.  It's fine.  I use my phone as a glorified walkman that happens to have internet.  I don't really game or take many pictures, don't twitter or facebook.  So it's plenty for my needs at $480 retail.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
In the manner of Calinthalus' glorified Walkman, I have the Moto x4 which was $249 from Google Fi. Has SD slot. I'm rural, don't use the Internet much with it, but it works fine. Fi uses various networks, the bill comes from Google.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:48:41 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 03:27:49 PM »
My sister lover her Moto Z3.  The Z4 retails for $499 unlocked, and it looks to have good specs. I don't know if it meets all of your criteria, but it seems worth a look at least.

I myself use an iPhone, so I am no expert in Android phones.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:42:52 PM »
Want an android phone better than mine with an SD expansion slot?

Why do you need this? Phones today have a lot of memory and easy access to cloud storage.

ETA: not saying you don't need it. Just want to understand the use case.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »
40 to 60 gigs of music and a similar amount in podcasts usually.
My wireless internet is not good near home so best to store locally.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »
Now of the Motorola models are listed on the Sprint website. There are the Apples, the Samsung, some different LG phones, and a few unknowns.

The A50 is only $350 total so I am thinking that I might forgo the insurance of $15 a month. While it would feel like ripping off an arm, at least I could afford to replace it.

edit: If I pay "cash" for a phone on Sprint, how hard is it to activate?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 04:13:00 PM »
What do you pay per month for service?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 04:20:08 PM »
Chaging from Sprint is not really an option because we have three people in the household using Sprint and I also have a Hotspot through Sprint.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
Here's where I'm coming from. I have a Pixel 2XL with 49/64GB in use. 24GB is apps, 8GB for the system, 7GB for audio, 7GB for photo/video, and then miscellaneous. I went with the smallest storage because I know my usage. If I shoot a lot of video I'll have to archive to cloud storage (happens about once a year). External storage would be a never-used feature for me - especially with a newer phone that might start with 128GB internal storage.

I'd say it's worth gauging your current storage reqs to see if an SD card is a better option than more internal memory.

Since you don't use the camera, a mid- to low- end phone is likely your best bet. I'm a bit out of the loop on current phones at the moment, so I don't have a recommendation.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »
I have 64GB internal with 27GB in use.  I have a 64GB SD card with 47GB in use.  The majority of that 47GB in use is audio (podcasts and music).  My podcast app is setup to delete after a bit so that's a rotating storage.

When I buy music, I tend to buy downloads or directly from artists.  Quite a few albums I've purchased in vinyl have come with download cards for a digital copy.

As system storage has gone up, my storage usage has hit a ceiling, I think.  I could live with a 128GB phone without an SD card.  I'm just so used to only having like 32GB of internal.

For my tablet, I think I have to have the SD slot.  On flights to Hawaii, it's nice to have enough space to not need internet the entire trip.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »
Take a look at tablet storage now too - same rationale. I've filled my iPad Pro (128GB) with something like 40h of video on trips without maxing it out. SD may well be a necessary requirement for you, but if it isn't you might get a lot of machine for less money.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »
If you have a cell phone, you use your camera :)
taken some pretty nice pictures

There is a temptation as well. Sprint has used cell phones as part of their program.
I could get a Galaxy S9+ used. About the same cost as a new A50
Main advantage is that it is water proof. I do take take my cell phone while kayaking. issue is that I do sometimes take it out to take pictures. S9+ is waterproof while the A50 is not. It is also still a flagship phone even if an older model.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »
Now of the Motorola models are listed on the Sprint website. There are the Apples, the Samsung, some different LG phones, and a few unknowns.

The A50 is only $350 total so I am thinking that I might forgo the insurance of $15 a month. While it would feel like ripping off an arm, at least I could afford to replace it.

edit: If I pay "cash" for a phone on Sprint, how hard is it to activate?

The Motorola phones are unlocked.  You can buy them anywhere you trust and stick your SIM in them.  Personally, I would never buy an unsubsidized phone from my carrier.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:55:26 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 08:23:57 PM »
I avoided contracts like that up here (Canada) for a long time. Pretty much all our carriers have payment plans with negligible interest now. You just buy out the remainder of you contract if you want to move to another carrier. Ours are all equally shitty though.

personate-rain