Author Topic: Cell Phone - 2019 Edition?  (Read 852 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Cell Phone - 2019 Edition?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 08:51:27 AM »
How long does it take to charge via wireless? The S5 does not have that ability but the S9 does. Is it worth getting a charging pad / stand?

No.  The charging time via wireless is generally double the time for just plugging it in.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »
The new Samsung Duo wirelessly charges at about 12W.  My phone can go from 20% to 100% in about 2 hours which is not bad.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
My experience with wireless charging of my iPhone is that it's faster than standard wired chargers, but slower than wired fast-chargers.  I really love the wireless charging on my night stand, though, for its convenience. I don't have to search for the cable on the floor under my bed every time.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »
Yeah, there's no doubt that wall chargers have the capacity to be much, much faster, but when I'm charging at night, if't convenience I'm more interested in.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 11:06:18 AM »
I think I am going to buy a new phone soon. USB port on my phone is finally gone out. I pretty much just started searching phones by spec and found the Motorola phones, initially E5 (least year's model), G7 is this year. They have all the radios I want (meaning TMO LTE bands, including 600MHz). Has FM radio, has microSD slot, IPS LCD screen, AOSP-like ROM. So it looks great on paper.

Doesn't appear to be any harder to install custom recovery or root. It doesn't have a premium camera with optical zoom or impressive low light capability.

Now I do like the OLED screen on my Samsung. I have a backup, but don't want to bother switching, as it is a custom ROM, not set up for normal use, and the radios are outdated enough that I might as well get a new handset.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
While I was reluctant to upgrade to a new phone, I do have to say that the performance is quite a bit greater with the S9+ compared to the S5. Performs much fasster and does not get bogged down like the S5 seems to have been getting.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »
I guess I am putting off buying the phone, since I might want to save the money. I switched the service to my backup S5. I updated the custom ROM on it, tried Pie for a day, before reverting to LineageOS Nougat (unofficial update with 2019/06 patch level). Pie breaks ACR (call recording). It also isn't supported by Xposed, except through some convoluted means.

Cyanogen/Lineage has had native call recording for a while, but it is enabled by country code policy. But, you can use the Xposed module to enable it and also have it run automatically when a call starts. I also now have AdBlocker Reborn, which removes ad frames from most apps.

The Samsung/Touchwiz ROM got slow after a while. After a few days, it would either get really slow, or use more power on extended standby.

The only downside is the ROM doesn't support IMS/VoLTE, so it switches from 4G to 3G/2G to have a call.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »
Cyanogen/Lineage has had native call recording for a while, but it is enabled by country code policy. But, you can use the Xposed module to enable it and also have it run automatically when a call starts.

You need to be very careful.  In many states there are civil or criminal penalties for recording conversations without the consent of all parties, and those laws may apply to you even if you live in a one-party consent state if you record calls originating in or to an all-party consent state. In my opinion, it is a *very* bad idea to record any call without explicit consent of all parties.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 11:17:14 PM »
Cyanogen/Lineage has had native call recording for a while, but it is enabled by country code policy. But, you can use the Xposed module to enable it and also have it run automatically when a call starts.

You need to be very careful.  In many states there are civil or criminal penalties for recording conversations without the consent of all parties, and those laws may apply to you even if you live in a one-party consent state if you record calls originating in or to an all-party consent state. In my opinion, it is a *very* bad idea to record any call without explicit consent of all parties.

Only actually twelve states have it illegal
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2011/03/james-o-keefe-npr-video-why-do-12-states-still-make-it-illegal-to-tape-people-without-their-knowledge.html

Interestingly, Utah tried to switch after a high level Mormon was recorded admitted to raping a woman. Shows where their heart is.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2011/03/james-o-keefe-npr-video-why-do-12-states-still-make-it-illegal-to-tape-people-without-their-knowledge.html

Interestingly, Utah tried to switch after a high level Mormon was recorded admitted to raping a woman. Shows where their heart is.

It was one of those random facts that I heard many years ago that I accepted without question at the time and forgot the source of, that it was legal to record a conversation when at least one participant was aware that the conversation was being recorded. I offhandedly mentioned this at a boardgame day with some friends, a couple of whom were actually lawyers, and they immediately and vehemently shot it down. It is illegal to record a conversation without the consent of all participants.

At least, in my jurisdiction.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 11:54:54 PM »

I don't think anything you have said is incompatible with my comment. Nor, I would point out, was I talking only of criminal penalties. There are other states, including my own, in which it is a civil but not a criminal offense.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2019, 02:21:54 AM »
Semi related - Does anybody have any recommendations for power packs?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline stands2reason

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
No, but I'm still using the replacement Li-pol Anker battery I bought for my other S5 and used basically everyday for 2.5 years. Only seems to have lost about 10% and still holds a charge just fine overnight, but I try to always keep my phone above 40%.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 02:28:11 PM »
I've purchased many Anker batteries over the years. They've been superb.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
Yeah, if I were in the market for a USB power pack, I'd be looking at Anker's as well as Mophie's. I'd probably be looking for something with USB-C PD or at least 18W quick charging, too.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:56:23 PM by The Latinist »

personate-rain
personate-rain