Author Topic: shipping heavy item from Australia to USA  (Read 176 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
shipping heavy item from Australia to USA
« on: October 03, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
If I wanted to buy an Australian vice, is there a way to ship a single vice from Australia to USA at a reasonable cost? Seems Australia Post has an upper limit of 20kg for International Economy Sea, so that's out. UPS can handle the weight but their lowest rate will take your breath away. Transit time matters not. Any ideas?

As an example (just the vice, not the stand)

American's need to practise their orthography, the rest of the world spells it vice.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: shipping heavy item from Australia to USA
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
Check with ship companies to see if they take deck cargo. But I have to say "why?"
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:34:03 PM »
Not really. We get the same problems shipping in the other direction. I once bought a t-shirt from SpaceX which cost more for shipping than it did for the shirt itself.

The only thing I can suggest is to see if you can ship in bulk with a bunch of other people. Bulk shipping is a bit cheaper, and maybe you can share the costs.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »
Check with ship companies to see if they take deck cargo. But I have to say "why?"

Bingo! Are Australian vices so much better than the ones you can buy locally? Shipping heavy things long distances is expensive.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:56:48 PM »
Australian Vice sounds like the latest hit TV cop show.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 06:34:05 AM »
Australian Vice sounds like the latest hit TV cop show.
I see a bunch of hairy guys charging up a street and into a pub, bent on saving that last pint from being wasted.  :D
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to have an Australian-style vice made for you in the US? I am sure there is some company somewhere that can make custom vices, especially in the States.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to have an Australian-style vice made for you in the US? I am sure there is some company somewhere that can make custom vices, especially in the States.
Yes, please. As an engineering rating in the USN for twenty years I'm curious as to the benefits.

AND have you checked to see if there is one for sale that is already on this continent?

personate-rain