Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Hurricane Dorian
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2019, 11:58:03 PM »
There's probably thousands and thousands dead.

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »
One might get the impression that the US is not a country that welcomes refugees.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:16 AM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
What did I miss over the weekend? The storm turned north and went up the east coast? Yeah, I tried searching weather news, but I can only find the newest articles.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2019, 12:02:59 PM »
What did I miss over the weekend? The storm turned north and went up the east coast? Yeah, I tried searching weather news, but I can only find the newest articles.
Yeah, I was surprised when I heard that it was battering Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I guess it moved pretty quickly after it hit the Carolinas--and stayed pretty far off shore so that the Mid Atlantic and New England coast were not hardly affected other than waves and riptides.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 12:00:25 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised when I heard that it was battering Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I guess it moved pretty quickly after it hit the Carolinas--and stayed pretty far off shore so that the Mid Atlantic and New England coast were not hardly affected other than waves and riptides.

It was running North at 50km/h or more as it headed for the Maritimes. Hit Halifax as a Cat 2. Put 400000 people out of power for while, I think?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:40 AM »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 12:39:47 AM »
Oh, just shut the fuck up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-10/donald-trump-warns-bahamas-hurricane-dorian-survivors-bad-people/11494830

This is the kind of crap you get when you let the Electoral College elect the President: A racist fuckwad. This is the second time in this decade when we've gotten a fuckwad in office because the Electoral College instead of the voters chose a president.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »
This is the second time in this decade when we've gotten a fuckwad in office because the Electoral College instead of the voters chose a president.

This decade?

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2019, 09:38:18 AM »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
This is the second time in this decade when we've gotten a fuckwad in office because the Electoral College instead of the voters chose a president.

This decade?

I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I posted that when I was only half-awake. Sorry. I was referring to the Shrub, 2000, and the Pustule now, of course. So, second time in two decades. Two presidents out of three. My point stands. I was just not awake enough to do arithmetic.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »

It was running North at 50km/h or more as it headed for the Maritimes. Hit Halifax as a Cat 2. Put 400000 people out of power for while, I think?

Yup almost half the province didn't have power. Ours went for 12 hours. It didn't seem that bad where I live but I couldn't go to work Monday due to roof damage on our building. There's a pretty crazy video circulating of a crane in Halifax toppling onto a building which was being constructed.

Edited for video link:
https://globalnews.ca/video/5871999/hurricane-dorian-video-captures-moment-crane-collapses-in-downtown-halifax-during-storm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:25:58 PM by Nosmas »
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

personate-rain