Author Topic: Hurricane Season 2019  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Hurricane Dorian
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2019, 11:58:03 PM »
There's probably thousands and thousands dead.

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »
One might get the impression that the US is not a country that welcomes refugees.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:16 AM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
What did I miss over the weekend? The storm turned north and went up the east coast? Yeah, I tried searching weather news, but I can only find the newest articles.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2019, 12:02:59 PM »
What did I miss over the weekend? The storm turned north and went up the east coast? Yeah, I tried searching weather news, but I can only find the newest articles.
Yeah, I was surprised when I heard that it was battering Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I guess it moved pretty quickly after it hit the Carolinas--and stayed pretty far off shore so that the Mid Atlantic and New England coast were not hardly affected other than waves and riptides.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 12:00:25 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised when I heard that it was battering Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I guess it moved pretty quickly after it hit the Carolinas--and stayed pretty far off shore so that the Mid Atlantic and New England coast were not hardly affected other than waves and riptides.

It was running North at 50km/h or more as it headed for the Maritimes. Hit Halifax as a Cat 2. Put 400000 people out of power for while, I think?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:40 AM »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 12:39:47 AM »
Oh, just shut the fuck up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-10/donald-trump-warns-bahamas-hurricane-dorian-survivors-bad-people/11494830

This is the kind of crap you get when you let the Electoral College elect the President: A racist fuckwad. This is the second time in this decade when we've gotten a fuckwad in office because the Electoral College instead of the voters chose a president.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »
This is the second time in this decade when we've gotten a fuckwad in office because the Electoral College instead of the voters chose a president.

This decade?

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2019, 09:38:18 AM »

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
This is the second time in this decade when we've gotten a fuckwad in office because the Electoral College instead of the voters chose a president.

This decade?

I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. I posted that when I was only half-awake. Sorry. I was referring to the Shrub, 2000, and the Pustule now, of course. So, second time in two decades. Two presidents out of three. My point stands. I was just not awake enough to do arithmetic.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »

It was running North at 50km/h or more as it headed for the Maritimes. Hit Halifax as a Cat 2. Put 400000 people out of power for while, I think?

Yup almost half the province didn't have power. Ours went for 12 hours. It didn't seem that bad where I live but I couldn't go to work Monday due to roof damage on our building. There's a pretty crazy video circulating of a crane in Halifax toppling onto a building which was being constructed.

Edited for video link:
https://globalnews.ca/video/5871999/hurricane-dorian-video-captures-moment-crane-collapses-in-downtown-halifax-during-storm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:25:58 PM by Nosmas »
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

personate-rain
personate-rain