Author Topic: "Iranian Activist Gets 15 Years for Removing Her Hijab in Public"  (Read 434 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: "Iranian Activist Gets 15 Years for Removing Her Hijab in Public"
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »
Define "free".
Free country: no religious, political or cultural suppression by  government, religion  or other institutions

Glib, and not very useful. My country suppresses the religious practice of sacrificing children. Does that mean it's not a free country?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 02:50:49 AM »
Would you disagree that it has been free at some point in the last 70 years?

I don't know how to answer that.

Was it free before 1953? I don't know.

There was more freedom under the Shah than now, but there was also political and religious oppression. I would not call that free.

When the Ayatollah and the fundamentalists took over there may have been a brief moment when people thought they were free, but that evaporated pretty quickly.

It's been a politically, religiously, culturally and socially oppressive regime from the start.
Cool.
So thats a much more productive route for the discussion.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »
Define "free".
Free country: no religious, political or cultural suppression by  government, religion  or other institutions

Glib, and not very useful. My country suppresses the religious practice of sacrificing children. Does that mean it's not a free country?
Is that really necessary ? 

I mean are there actually religions in your country that would sacrifice children if it weren’t illegal? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 03:56:45 AM »
I would add economic suppression to that list as well, but that would put the number of free countries to 0  :P

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 04:12:52 AM »
Define "free".

I mean are there actually religions in your country that would sacrifice children if it weren’t illegal?

No, but I want you to realise that the American ideal of "Freedom!" is an illusion at best. The biggest con ever perpetrated on a nation. Your "freedoms" (as though it's a countable noun) are, have always been, and will always be, suppressed by government, religion and other institutions. The suppression of "freedoms" is a fundamental building block of society, and a society with no suppression of "freedoms" is pure anarchy.

Some societies - nations, cultures, whatever - do it better than others. That's all.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
Define "free".

No, but I want you to realise that the American ideal of "Freedom!" is an illusion at best. The biggest con ever perpetrated on a nation. Your "freedoms" (as though it's a countable noun) are, have always been, and will always be, suppressed by government, religion and other institutions. The suppression of "freedoms" is a fundamental building block of society, and a society with no suppression of "freedoms" is pure anarchy.

Some societies - nations, cultures, whatever - do it better than others. That's all.

I wouldn't say it was a con. Comparatively in its day it was a free society. Following the American revolution you saw a flurry of other revolutions in Europe working to catch up. Today America is not the most free nation in the world and one just has to look at the incarceration rate to see that fact.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »
Turns out "barely a generation" is exactly 66 years.

Glad we got that settled.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.