Author Topic: How long ago DID a "buck 3 eighty" buy you "much lady"?  (Read 175 times)

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
How long ago DID a "buck 3 eighty" buy you "much lady"?
« on: August 30, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »
I'm getting close to the borderline.

And for another thing, just what was a "bun" that might "drop dead" in the 80's? And what constitutes a "pack" of "buns" is that 8 or 12?

https://www.billyjoel.com/song/close-borderline-2/
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: How long ago DID a "buck 3 eighty" buy you "much lady"?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 10:38:11 AM »
Thanks for posting the link to the lyrics. So that's "a buck three eighty won't buy you much lately." Not "won't buy you much lady." It looks to me like stream-of-consciousness word salad. Maybe the author thinks his word salad means something, but I'd say it means whatever you want it to mean.

"A buck three eighty" doesn't even mean anything. Unless maybe it's supposed to mean $4.80. I.e., a buck (a dollar) plus three eighty. I would argue this gives weight to my assertion that the whole thing is just meaningless word salad. The musical equivalent of Deepak Chopra. $4.80 in 1913 was worth $125 in today's dollars. That would buy a fair amount of stuff. $4.80 in 1949 was worth $51 in today's dollars, so it's probably fair to say that 70 years ago "a buck [plus] three eighty" would buy "much."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 11:38:15 AM »
Unless we are talking about deer, which could be worth quite a lot for the right kind of lady

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 01:41:38 PM »
For forty years I thought he was talking about picking up a hooker, and then I learn it's just a statement about the economy.

AND

it's not a bunch of bums dropping dead but buns?!? 

is billyjoel.com really checking these lyrics?
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »
I think it's a play on the farcical "Buck-$2.98", which was a nonsense price when I was a kid.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
For forty years I thought he was talking about picking up a hooker, and then I learn it's just a statement about the economy.

AND

it's not a bunch of bums dropping dead but buns?!? 

is billyjoel.com really checking these lyrics?

:D :D  It's bums.  I doubt there are cute little rabbits keeling over.

I think it's a play on the farcical "Buck-$2.98", which was a nonsense price when I was a kid.

That makes as much sense as anything, although I suppose there could be silent punctuation:  "A buck—three—EIGHTY—won't buy you much lately"

Man, I love that album.  So...irritable.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

personate-rain