Author Topic: Episode #738  (Read 400 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #738
« on: August 31, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »
News Items: Extragalactic Exoplanets, Denisovan Teeth, Climate Change and Clouds, Planting Trees
What Do You Want For Your Funeral
Dumbest Thing of the Week
Science or Fiction
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:14:04 PM by The Latinist »
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Episode #719
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »
This should be #738, not #719.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 02:27:43 PM »
I really like this week's skeptical quote. Great pick! :)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 02:57:55 PM »
This should be #738, not #719.

Or maybe we crossed over with the reality where the SGU made 19 practice episodes before finally deciding to publish.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #738
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 04:04:52 AM »
I can't believe GH didn't mention the coolest (pre) funeral ever; Warren Zevon's "The Wind".  Get your colleagues to get together and make the most amazing music about life, death and romance.

For me, she'll use my memorial playlist and bury me ( I like the idea of a mushroom suit) on the farm.  We are allowed this sort of thing in Aotearoa.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
For Jay...

Proof is for mathematicians and moonshiners. Not science.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 02:03:47 PM »

What Do You Want For Your Funeral

What I don't want:

Anything religious.
Anything that outlasts the memories of me (gravestone or coffin)

I've already pre-donated my brain to research, my organs too if they're of any use - I want people who come to my funeral to know that. 
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
I'm going with Steve. I don't give a shit about any funeral...I'll be dead! And as I'll leave behind no children or wife or any friends to mourn me, who else will give a shit? My brother will probably go before me and if he doesn't...well, we're really not close and he "doesn't do hospitals or funerals". He didn't come to our parents (one big reason we're not close), why should he come to mine? Throw me in a pauper's grave, throw me in a landfill, use me for mulch, grind me up for tiger feed at the zoo (I actually like that one). I don't care.

One good thing about not having family is that I don't have to shell out bucks for life insurance or a pre-paid grave plot and won't  burden them with funeral expenses.

But I have I disagree with Cara or whoever said it (can't remember now)....no matter how many people surround your death bed.....you're still dying alone. They may be in the room with you, but they're not going thru the experience with you. You're going into the Abyss all by yourself.   

And I agree with FA about gravestones...really, what's the frakin' point? I pass three old graveyards on my way to work every morning and I wonder how many people visit those huge old monuments I see poking up in them. In a hundred or years or much less, you are going to be completely forgotten (unless you're some significant politician or entertainer or scientist or the like). What a waste of space and resources a gravestone is. All just to serve your vanity and say "I was here!" No will give a shit you were for long. 

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:05:47 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
I want to be disposed of in a way that does not cost my loved ones anything.
They can do their own thing to remember me but the one thing that should be free is dying.
Maybe double bag me in a biowaste sack and throw me out with all the stuff that hospitals dispose of.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
They can do their own thing to remember me but the one thing that should be free is dying.
Maybe double bag me in a biowaste sack and throw me out with all the stuff that hospitals dispose of.

That's me, as well.  Don't waste any money on a funeral.  Have a party instead.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 05:25:24 PM »

That's me, as well.  Don't waste any money on a funeral.  Have a party instead.

I went to Bill Bryson’s talk last night on his upcoming book.  At one point when he talked about attending a dissection class in Nottingham, it made me think that I might see whether it’s still possible to donate my body to a university for the purpose of anatomy training.  It would avoid having a funeral.

I hope and don’t expect to die for decades.  I’m hoping to see the next coming of Comet Halley, and go one up on Mark Twain, who was born in 1835 and died in 1910, both Comet Halley years.  By the time I die, it’s likely that anatomy will be taught with virtual reality dissections, if surgeons are still taught anatomy.  If there’s still surgeons that is, and surgical operations aren’t performed by AI controlled robots.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »
I am an organ donor and anything not wanted for organ transplant goes to "science." I understand that when they're done with that, they cremate the remains at no cost to any family or friends who might survive me. When I was hiking, I thought it would be nice to have my ashes dumped under a rock at my favorite hiking lodge, and name the rock for me. Now that I'm paddling I kind of like the ashes ceremonies they have for dead people here: A bunch of paddlers put flower leis on their heads, and wear colorful robes, and paddle out a short distance onto the ocean, where they scatter the ashes, and flower petals, and blow a conch shell, and then paddle around the site a couple of times.

Of course, once I'm dead I won't care because I won't exist. But right now, I think this would be nice. No cost to anybody. My body will have been of whatever use it might. Any remaining friends or family elsewhere can have whatever ceremony they like, but probably nothing more than, "Well, he had a good run and lived to a decent age," which would be the case if I died today.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain