Author Topic: "China's religious persecution is a secularist issue"  (Read 623 times)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: "China's religious persecution is a secularist issue"
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »
China, with its unfavourable geography, depleted ecosystems and crazy rampant pollution will be hit extremely hard by the climate apocalypse fairly soon, so the hegemony will be very short-lived.

They'll manage to do quite a lot of harm until then, though, like the Uyghur genocide Snarl is trying to cover for by shifting the discussion.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »
Yeah.  I was hemming and hawing about, "Is this the Chinese century?," until a buddy of mine made a great argument about all the economic and security benefits to falling in behind a global hegemon.  It now seems plausible to me that if the US falls any further, the world'll need a new hegemon and China's successfully positioning itself for the job.  Hopefully, their being the moral equivalent of Nazi Germany will be taken seriously and take them out of the running.

China, with its unfavourable geography, depleted ecosystems and crazy rampant pollution will be hit extremely hard by the climate apocalypse fairly soon, so the hegemony will be very short-lived.

They'll manage to do quite a lot of harm until then, though, like the Uyghur genocide Snarl is trying to cover for by shifting the discussion.

What will the 21st century equivalent of Jewish physicists escaping to America look like? The way I understand it, it is typically the well-off that get to expatriate to America, and they usually maintain ties to their family and such in China.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
My guess is that those scientists who are needed by the regime are not allowed to leave or have family kept as a hostage to assure their return, like NK Diplomats.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 03:44:58 PM »
What is a ‘secularist issue’?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »

China has spent more money investing in sustainable energy than any other country.
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »
What is a ‘secularist issue’?

An issue relevant to the political principle of secularism.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain