Author Topic: Is Zoom unsafe?  (Read 538 times)

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Is Zoom unsafe?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »
Zoom is now safe.

This was fixed a few months ago.  We use it ALL THE TIME to talk to developers in India.

Can you completely remove it from your mac?

Yes.

I have tested it multiple times and it is completely removed when I uninstall it.
#non-belief denialist

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
Well, I think I just deleted zoom from my two Mac laptops.  I deleted the Application directory using the rm command.  I then executed the command `sudo locate zoomus`, which found .zoomus directories in the home directories of two users on each laptop, which I then deleted using rm.  Updating the locate database and running `sudo locate zoomus` a second time turned up no more files on either computer, so I think all traces of the app are gone.

... That was nice of you to take the time and help investigate this for Daniel. You or I mite be able to pull off the above but its my guess that this is the kind of thing he does not like.

Captain Video is correct: I would not feel confident of being able to remove it. And the mere fact that they don't supply an easy way to remove it says bad things about the company. And all for a program whose benefit over one I already (reluctantly) installed seems very minimal.

And yes, it was very kind of you guys to investigate this for me. Thanks much.

The other thing this teacher wanted me to use is Transferwise for paying for the lessons since she wants us to move off of italki. Transferwise is cheaper than PayPal. Probably cheaper than Zelle, which is supported and backed by my bank. Reviews of Transferwise are almost evenly split between 5 stars, from people who had a smooth, cheap transaction, and 1 star, from people who had issues with their transfer and found customer support to be callous and useless. Nothing in between. Nobody I could find said "I had a problem and they fixed it." So I told the teacher I'll pay her through PayPal or Zelle (her choice) and I'll pay the fee.

She has agreed that we'll use Skype for the connection and PayPal for the payment. I'm going to start a new thread for my adventures in learning French. I just need to decide if it belongs in Members Only or in General.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
Well, I think I just deleted zoom from my two Mac laptops.  I deleted the Application directory using the rm command.  I then executed the command `sudo locate zoomus`, which found .zoomus directories in the home directories of two users on each laptop, which I then deleted using rm.  Updating the locate database and running `sudo locate zoomus` a second time turned up no more files on either computer, so I think all traces of the app are gone.

... That was nice of you to take the time and help investigate this for Daniel. You or I mite be able to pull off the above but its my guess that this is the kind of thing he does not like.

Captain Video is correct: I would not feel confident of being able to remove it. And the mere fact that they don't supply an easy way to remove it says bad things about the company. And all for a program whose benefit over one I already (reluctantly) installed seems very minimal.

The other thing this teacher wanted me to use is Transferwise for paying for the lessons since she wants us to move off of italki. Transferwise is cheaper than PayPal. Probably cheaper than Zelle, which is supported and backed by my bank. Reviews of Transferwise are almost evenly split between 5 stars, from people who had a smooth, cheap transaction, and 1 star, from people who had issues with their transfer and found customer support to be callous and useless. Nothing in between. Nobody I could find said "I had a problem and they fixed it." So I told the teacher I'll pay her through PayPal or Zelle (her choice) and I'll pay the fee.

She has agreed that we'll use Skype for the connection and PayPal for the payment. I'm going to start a new thread for my adventures in learning French. I just need to decide if it belongs in Members Only or in General.

So guys, the newest version of Zoom completely removes everything by just using the uninstall option within the Mac App.  That's what I'm saying, you don't need to do anything special, all you need to do is select 'Uninstall' within the app.

#non-belief denialist

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »

So guys, the newest version of Zoom completely removes everything by just using the uninstall option within the Mac App.  That's what I'm saying, you don't need to do anything special, all you need to do is select 'Uninstall' within the app.

Thanks for that. I still don't trust the company. I have a very low tolerance for bad programming, and having shown bad programming in the past, they'd have to be bug-free for a very long time before I'd trust them. They had a very serious bug and took a long time to fix it. What other bugs might be lurking in there? In addition, they showed an extremely callous disregard for users (or else incompetence) when they originally created the program with a feature that would re-install itself if the user deleted it in the ordinary way. There's no excuse for that, which makes them untrustworthy in my opinion.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 05:32:13 PM »
You decided to use Skype instead.   Would you like me to send you the list of Skype flaws that is much MUCH longer than the ones zoom has had?

#non-belief denialist

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »
I asked the question about Skype earlier. And I searched reviews. People here on the SGU forums whose opinions I respect said that Skype is generally safe. Also, Skype seems to be the main one used by teachers on italki.

Nothing is 100% safe. But installing TWO programs where one would suffice, is adding UNNECESSARY risk. I really didn't want to install either, but it was necessary to install something if I wanted to take on-line private lessons.

I would, however, be quite interested to read a discussion between tech-savvy people over the merits and issues between Skype and Zoom.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg