Author Topic: What’s your favorite shortcut key?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: What’s your favorite shortcut key?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 04:35:04 PM »
Win left & right for snapping to half of screen. Some Linux UIs build on this, allowing for top/bottom half, and snapping to quarters. ShiftIt for Mac gives similar shortcuts.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »
Your owl is looking good, The Latinist.

Thanks.  I made some refinements, in particular getting everything parallel and consistently spaced. I've also switched to .svg for the icon file. I'm pretty fond of it.

yea nice logo

How many times did you hit Ctrl-Z?  >:D

Illustrator is a nasty beast, its my least liked on my list of most used software. The software is great, its my ineptitude with it that sucks.  >:D

I guess the spacebar actually is a shortcut and I use that more than Ctrl-Z or Ctrl-Shift-T so i'm going to change my favorite to that.

When you hold down the spacebar (in AI, AE, and PS) it temporarily changes whatever tool you are using into the hand tool so you can move around your art on the screen, when you let go it goes back to the original tool, highly useful. If you logged my keys during a session i'm sure I hit this one the most. 

In almost every video playback software package I use, the spacebar is a play/pause shortcut, in fact "I push the spacebar" should be my official job description.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:24:54 PM by Captain Video »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the info on space bar.  That will be very helpful.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
There's a prank that we used to play on colleagues when they left their screens unlocked. Ctrl-Alt-Up arrow on a Windows computer flips the screen upside-down.

What was even better if we had time was to take a screenshot of the desktop, rotate it 180°, and set it as their desktop wallpaper, then flip the screen.

Ctrl-Alt-Down arrow restores the screen to its normal orientation if this is ever done to you.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 04:58:39 AM »
My favourite shortcut is command, shift, 4 which (on an Apple) allows cropped screen grabs. Cursor becomes a cross hair which (After pressing left button) can be dragged around part of screen you want to copy.

(Shift, Command, + ) is a handy zoom function. Which is handy for us older folk with wonky vision.  ;)
(Shift, Command, -) to zoom back out.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »
Alt-SysRq + r e i s u b
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 06:00:13 PM »
I had a shortcut key that worked on every Ford built before 1979. Bloody Peelers took it.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
My favourite shortcut is command, shift, 4 which (on an Apple) allows cropped screen grabs. Cursor becomes a cross hair which (After pressing left button) can be dragged around part of screen you want to copy.

That's another of my favorites.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »
A bunch of issues with Microsoft Word documents can be resolved by holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the sequence A, C, N, V.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 06:01:24 AM »
A bunch of issues with Microsoft Word documents can be resolved by holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the sequence A, C, N, V.
Which does what?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 06:40:59 AM »
Which does what?

Uninstalls Microsoft Word.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 07:44:08 AM »
Which does what?

Select-all, copy, new, paste.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »
Which does what?

Sounds like a job for a macro.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 08:22:35 AM »
Which does what?

Sounds like a job for a macro.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
It's either ctrl+Z or Windows+L

This is so interesting and useful for me that I'm going to print it out. Randy is usually very accurate when it comes to this sort of things, I wonder what his source is.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

personate-rain