Author Topic: Barbecue issues.  (Read 539 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Barbecue issues.
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:31:16 PM »
For your amusement:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/vegan-cilla-cardens-court-action-against-neighbour-sparks-huge-barbecue-meat-protest-ng-b881313661z?utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PerthNow+AM+update+5.9.19

I’m a vegetarian.  Occasionally, when I’m walking home with my dog (who isn’t a vegetarian) from the local dog park I pass a neighbour who is having a barbecue.  I don’t find the smell pleasant, actually a little nauseating, but I don’t think it’s worth complaining about, let alone taking the neighbour to court.

Protesting and counter-protesting seem to me to be pointless and a waste of time.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Barbecue issues.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:03:26 PM »
I was hoping this would be a thread about making BBQ rather than what it is but I agree its funny.

I know what you call "BBQ" I call grilling but I both smoke and grill vegetables and don't think it smells that much different from meat. To me it just smells like smoke from farther away unless you are using gas. oh and I do LOVE that smell!

Out of curiosity I found another article with video, I guess its fish they are cooking that has her pissed off which could easily smell before they even start cooking but she is also complaining about cigarette smoke, wall banging and kids playing basketball. I'm thinking that there is nothing her neighbors could do that would not upset her.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:39:10 PM »
Is it worth getting a rotisserie attachment for my grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:45:48 PM »
I was hoping this would be a thread about making BBQ rather than what it is but I agree its funny.

I know what you call "BBQ" I call grilling but I both smoke and grill vegetables and don't think it smells that much different from meat. To me it just smells like smoke from farther away unless you are using gas. oh and I do LOVE that smell!

Out of curiosity I found another article with video, I guess its fish they are cooking that has her pissed off which could easily smell before they even start cooking but she is also complaining about cigarette smoke, wall banging and kids playing basketball. I'm thinking that there is nothing her neighbors could do that would not upset her.

I had a neighbour complain about my playing Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony (and she complained to the local government council too).  And she also complained when the local council used Roundup to treat the weeds growing along the access way between our two properties (she thought the odour was being caused by tradesmen doing renovations in my house at the same time).

Some people just like to complain.  They find it offensive that somewhere somewhen someone is having a good (or at least, not as bad) time.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 11:49:16 PM »

Only if it’s a silent one.  Otherwise, your neighbours might complain.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 06:49:58 AM »
Makes me happy to live where I do.  If Ray or Myrna Joe can smell my cooking, something really fucked up is going on.  Their house is at least 250 yards from mine.  Tim, on the other side is at least 400.  Hell, during summers my mom has a tiny house here on my property and it's 50 yards from my house.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »
Makes me happy to live where I do.  If Ray or Myrna Joe can smell my cooking, something really fucked up is going on.  Their house is at least 250 yards from mine.  Tim, on the other side is at least 400.  Hell, during summers my mom has a tiny house here on my property and it's 50 yards from my house.

I take the OP story as another example of the world being overpopulated, and I'm not joking, although it's not the most serious example of it.

Noisy kids, unwanted smells, maybe physically and not just mentally irritating smoke. It's still a fire releasing pollutants into the environment, even if there's food on it. I could imagine a chain of events that leads to this type of escalation where no one was necessarily at fault.

Life would be easier to live if there weren't as many people to share it with.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »

I take the OP story as another example of the world being overpopulated, and I'm not joking, although it's not the most serious example of it.

Noisy kids, unwanted smells, maybe physically and not just mentally irritating smoke. It's still a fire releasing pollutants into the environment, even if there's food on it. I could imagine a chain of events that leads to this type of escalation where no one was necessarily at fault.

Life would be easier to live if there weren't as many people to share it with.
This is fairly silly really.  Most folks will still tend to live near others even if we had a tenth the population.  I suspect the complaining neighbor almost certainly would. 

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 10:33:47 AM »
I'm going to go rogue and say my biggest beef with BBQ is the sauce. Sweet sauce mainly but not a huge like the vinegar or mustard much either. I can tolerate them, but would never be my first choice.   Dry rub baby, I like it savory and salty, with a a little heat, save the sweet's for desert. I want to see bark on my meat! My wife on the other hand is from KC so she is all about being covered in sweet sauce. yack, what a waste of meat. I have family in NC but they are wrong about BBQ to.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 10:42:09 AM »
This is fairly silly really.  Most folks will still tend to live near others even if we had a tenth the population.  I suspect the complaining neighbor almost certainly would. 

The tendency is for population density to increase, faster on a local scale than the population is growing vs. the overall landmass, as a larger and larger share of humanity live in cities.

It's easier to keep building where we're already building, but not easy to spread back out again, especially since we're basically already using as much land as we can, and then quite a lot more than that, without destroying our own habitat.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »
I don't bother complaining because I think it's futile, and because I am just as bad in my own transgressions as they are in theirs, but I honestly don't believe there's a shred of hope for a peaceful world (either for international affairs or interpersonal) when the majority of humans are so callous towards the suffering they are willing to cause, that they regard animals as nothing but a source of food. They are willing to slaughter living, feeling creatures, just for the pleasure of a source of food that is disastrous to the environment and damaging to their own health. And to breed and raise those animals in the most inhumane conditions imaginable. They claim to be "morally" superior to animals, yet they are infinitely more cruel than any other animal.

I find the smell of cooking meat to be nauseating, just as I find the barking of my neighbor's dog to be obnoxious, but I regard both as the cost of living in society. I am sympathetic with the Australian woman, but she should have realized that judges who themselves eat meat (in all probability) were not going to rule in her favor and that it was a waste of time bringing a court case against a practice that is nearly universal in her society.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 10:53:10 AM »
I'm going to go rogue and say my biggest beef with BBQ is the sauce. Sweet sauce mainly but not a huge like the vinegar or mustard much either. I can tolerate them, but would never be my first choice.   Dry rub baby, I like it savory and salty, with a a little heat, save the sweet's for desert. I want to see bark on my meat! My wife on the other hand is from KC so she is all about being covered in sweet sauce. yack, what a waste of meat. I have family in NC but they are wrong about BBQ to.
Tell me about it. Sugar, honey, molasses, brown sugar, none of those belong anywhere near meat.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 10:59:59 AM »
The only time my neighbors bother me or I bother them is generally if some of Myrna Joe's cows get out.  I went to the kitchen the other day and one heifer was about 15 feet from my window just chomping away.  One of my cats was on the freezer staring at it, eyes as wide as saucers.  "What kind of fucking dog is that???  Tell me we're not keeping it!"

She wandered on back home later.  She left a giant turd in my yard.  Maybe I should sue?
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »

YES, absolutely.

For stuff like whole chickens, pork shoulder and beef tenderloin especially.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »
I tell that story last post.  Today, I get home from work, go inside unpack my lunch, talk to the wife. After an hour we head down to visit my mother.  Walk out the front door and a bull is just hanging out about 20 feet from my back door.  Across the street there are cows mooing at him and he gives zero fucks...just picking at the grass.
--Stephen Hawking

personate-rain
personate-rain