Author Topic: Barbecue issues.  (Read 625 times)

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Barbecue issues.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »
Perhaps one of the reasons why I find the smell of burning meat nauseating is that I once worked in an anatomical pathology department that was around the corner from the central kitchens.  So I arrived each morning to the smell of burning fat.  And the mortuary was directly opposite (shades of Sweeney Todd).

BTW - the only time i lost it during a necropsy was when the technician announced that the best thing about post mortems  is that no one notices if you fart, and then (deliberately) loudly broke wind.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 12:21:40 AM »
I tell that story last post.  Today, I get home from work, go inside unpack my lunch, talk to the wife. After an hour we head down to visit my mother.  Walk out the front door and a bull is just hanging out about 20 feet from my back door.  Across the street there are cows mooing at him and he gives zero fucks...just picking at the grass.

I don't know about suing but your neighbor needs to clean up the shit in your yard, I do that if my dog shits in the neighbors yard.

I'm also thinking you ask for a few free steaks or dairy products for the inconvenience of having them feed on your grass, you helped produce that food (unless its saving you money on lawn mowing, I would do anything not to have to mow the lawn)

It cant hurt to ask, you mite not need a lawyer.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 01:25:43 AM »
Is it worth getting a rotisserie attachment for my grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the grill and cooking style.  What kind do you have?

I'm going to go rogue and say my biggest beef with BBQ is the sauce. Sweet sauce mainly but not a huge like the vinegar or mustard much either. I can tolerate them, but would never be my first choice.   Dry rub baby, I like it savory and salty, with a a little heat, save the sweet's for desert. I want to see bark on my meat! My wife on the other hand is from KC so she is all about being covered in sweet sauce. yack, what a waste of meat. I have family in NC but they are wrong about BBQ to.
Tell me about it. Sugar, honey, molasses, brown sugar, none of those belong anywhere near meat.

I really have to disagree with you here especially when dealing with smoked pork, my rub is HALF brown sugar, followed by granulated onion, granulated garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and a small amount of jalapeno powder (I think it adds a better flavor than cayenne) I start with a thin layer of yellow mustard so the rub sticks to the meat. The butt gets an injection of apple juice before the rub, the ribs get a mop sauce while smoking made with apple juice and a few other things. Applewood smoke, "slow and low"

Smoked Beef (and grilled steaks) I stick to salt and pepper but will use sugar in many other beef dishes.

All that said, I also do not like the super thick KC "sweet sauce" moj is talking about unless its used for chicken nuggets.  I will make it for those who do like it.

I have a tomato based sauce that is similar to a Carolina red sauce. Its ketchup based but not as thick as ketchup. It has some sugar but its not super sweet, lots of flavor but its not meant to soak into meat and cook, this is for after its done. It complements the rub.

I also have a Carolina gold mustard base sauce that is actually sweeter than the red because I use honey.

Right now i'm pushing farther away from American flavors and getting deep into Korean.  One of the best BBQ places in the state is a place owned by a Korean woman and her southern raised husband.  The Korean flavors combined with southern smoking techniques is nothing short of amazing.  I have started to emulate them with my ribs and pork butt.  I use almost the exact same rub as the southern version but half white sugar instead of all brown, course Korean pepper flakes (Gochugaru) instead of jalapeno. Instead of first coating the meat in yellow mustard you use gochujang (be careful you don't get one thats too hot, they vary from brand to brand.) Then I finish with a gochujang based sauce (which is also mostly sugar).

Koreans use a lot of sugar  >:D

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 01:32:59 AM by Captain Video »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 02:40:49 AM »
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »
I tell that story last post.  Today, I get home from work, go inside unpack my lunch, talk to the wife. After an hour we head down to visit my mother.  Walk out the front door and a bull is just hanging out about 20 feet from my back door.  Across the street there are cows mooing at him and he gives zero fucks...just picking at the grass.

I don't know about suing but your neighbor needs to clean up the shit in your yard, I do that if my dog shits in the neighbors yard.

I'm also thinking you ask for a few free steaks or dairy products for the inconvenience of having them feed on your grass, you helped produce that food (unless its saving you money on lawn mowing, I would do anything not to have to mow the lawn)

I take it you’ve never lived in the country.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 10:11:09 AM »

I wasnt being all that serious but to answer your question  yes, I have, every summer in central PA. Around cows, pigs, chickens and other animals, I have slaughtered them too. Not to mention we were surrounded by corn everywhere I lived in Allentown. Its east PA, Amish, feed Corn, cows and small dirty cities with big city influence.

At my grandparents house If someone inconvenienced you with their cows getting loose they would most likely offer you a gift, usually something they produced on their farm, thats where I got the idea but again I was not being too serious.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »

I wasnt being all that serious but to answer your question  yes, I have, every summer in central PA. Around cows, pigs, chickens and other animals, I have slaughtered them too. Not to mention we were surrounded by corn everywhere I lived in Allentown. Its east PA, Amish, feed Corn, cows and small dirty cities with big city influence.

At my grandparents house If someone inconvenienced you with their cows getting loose they would most likely offer you a gift, usually something they produced on their farm, thats where I got the idea but again I was not being too serious.

I grew up in rural Vermont. Animals got out. It's what they did. I'd help you round yours up, and you'd help me round up mine next time. If someone wanted to offer me a gift, that'd one thing.  But asking for compensation for someone's animals getting out? That'd be fucked up.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »

I grew up in rural Vermont. Animals got out. It's what they did. I'd help you round yours up, and you'd help me round up mine next time. If someone wanted to offer me a gift, that'd one thing.  But asking for compensation for someone's animals getting out? That'd be fucked up.

Well again, what I said deserves a little leave way because it was meant as mostly comedic sarcasm, especially the "you helped produce that food" part

I cant speak for Calinthalus but he sounds slightly inconvenienced but also enjoying the irony, no big deal, thats why he was joking about suing them and I was joking about asking for free stuff to cover his inconvenience.

In the situation you described with animals simply running away and you share the work, sure that's pretty normal.

What if you don't have animals but the neighboring farms animals keep breaking down your fence, eating your garden and generally damaging your property. Do you expect compensation?

I guess this is full circle on the thread. At what point do you think your daily living habits, family and animals "invade" your neighbors space?

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
I mean yeah, I was being facetious.

If the cow was getting out all the time and eating a garden or actually destroying property I would probably get upset and expect recompense.  As it is, they eat some grass that I hope never grows back, and I occasionally get cow turds in the yard.  The only times I've really cared is if a fence was all the way down and there were several clustered together in the road.  That only bothers me because I'm worried about someone hitting the cows.  Otherwise I don't even bother calling Ray to tell him.  For all I care they could roam the countryside quietly trimming peoples yards.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 06:15:31 AM »

That makes sense if it's a mutual arrangement, and if you're prepared to handle the animals. But if you're not part of such an arrangement, and something you keep on your property gets destroyed by someone who shouldn't be there, I'd say that compensation is fair.

With cows in particular, they're as deadly as dogs are, so property damage isn't the only concern if they get loose. Your dog, your cow, your responsibility.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
In rural North Dakota, where I lived for many years, if someone's dog got into someone else's pasture and started chasing the cows, the farmer who owned the cows would shoot the dog. And the dog's owner would not complain. Those lost calories are lost money for the farmer, and that was more important to everyone involved than a dog. I don't know if compensation would be requested or given if someone's cows got into someone else's pasture or farmyard. I very rarely saw cows out of their pasture or home yard, and then only on the road, never on someone else's property. I don't know, maybe farmers were especially careful about that because the other farmer would keep the cow? The nearest cows to me were about six miles away, on the dairy farm where I worked. Mostly it was just small grains, a few sunflowers, and some sugar beets in my area. Not a lot of cows.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 04:26:09 PM »

That makes sense if it's a mutual arrangement, and if you're prepared to handle the animals. But if you're not part of such an arrangement, and something you keep on your property gets destroyed by someone who shouldn't be there, I'd say that compensation is fair.

With cows in particular, they're as deadly as dogs are, so property damage isn't the only concern if they get loose. Your dog, your cow, your responsibility.

Too true.  Bill Bryson in ‘the Road to Little Dribbling’ notes that more people are killed by cows in Britain than bulls (which have the worse reputation).  Deaths of hikers from being trampled by cows is big news, making all the newspapers.  On page 42, he notes that he loves living in a country where this happens.  In America, there could be a mass shooting, and if it’s small enough, less than 4 or so, doesn’t reach the national papers, and isn’t really a big story in the regional ones apparently.  So a cow trampling wouldn’t be reported, unless it was bizarre (such as involving Dick Cheney or the current klutz in the White House).
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
I take the OP story as another example of the world being overpopulated, and I'm not joking, although it's not the most serious example of it.

Noisy kids, unwanted smells, maybe physically and not just mentally irritating smoke. It's still a fire releasing pollutants into the environment, even if there's food on it. I could imagine a chain of events that leads to this type of escalation where no one was necessarily at fault.

Life would be easier to live if there weren't as many people to share it with.

I would not advise that woman to travel to Marrakech. Oy!

personate-rain