Author Topic: Episode #739  (Read 855 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #739
« on: September 07, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »
News Items: Carrington Event 160 Year Anniversary, Storm Area 51, Hurricane Dorian, Australopithecus anamensis, Human Effects on Environment, Genome Wide Association Study of Same Sex Behavior, Pluto Is Still Not a PlanetWho's That NoisyScience or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Episode #739
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »
So what are the logical fallacies in this episode's Quote of the Week? There is a bit of strawmanning in that most people that suspect a link between video games and violence don't see it as the only possible cause of human violence, and I haven't heard any who claim that video games cause wars (though there could be some that do make such a claim). But the fallacy that annoyed me when I heard the quote was that it relied on an argument of the form "X can't cause Y because we know other things can cause Y". I'm not sure what this type of fallacy is called.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »
Single cause fallacy?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »
The beautiful blue sea slug

Amend and resubmit.

Offline RMoore

• Off to a Start
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
Watts per day? I assume Bob just meant watts.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Isn't it possible that anamensis split into two (or more) separate populations, one of which evolved into afarensis while the other remained unchanged? This (if possible) would explain the overlap while allowing afarensis to have evolved from anamensis. Just a thought. Basically, it seems to me that the overlap does not rule out the possibility that one evolved from the other.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 05:32:54 PM »
Watts per day? I assume Bob just meant watts.

The rogues have a really hard time with watts vs. watt-hours.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
The beautiful blue sea slug

(click to show/hide)
Cool! Thanks for posting that.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 11:07:28 PM »
Isn't it possible that anamensis split into two (or more) separate populations, one of which evolved into afarensis while the other remained unchanged? This (if possible) would explain the overlap while allowing afarensis to have evolved from anamensis. Just a thought. Basically, it seems to me that the overlap does not rule out the possibility that one evolved from the other.

Yes, it’s definitely possible.  In fact, I think you’re right.  I think that generally, species (if they’re widespread) don’t evolve into another species - populations evolve into other species.  So for example one hypothesis has H erectus migrating out of Africa forming separate populations.  The one in Europe evolved into H neanderthalis, the one in Asia into H denisova, the one on Flores into H florensis and the one remaining in Africa into H sapiens.  With the separate species interbreeding, and migrating.

50,000 years ago there were 5 Homo species, and 4 went extinct.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 12:39:43 AM »
I *love* the Skeptiborg!

I HAVE BEEN ASSIMILATED!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 10:54:12 AM »
Two thoughts on this episode:

1. There was talk about if being gay is a choice or not, in regard to the study discussed. Well, who cares? Even if it would have been a choice, so what? What people do in their private lives that doesn't affect others, or with other consenting adults, should be their own business. Watching a movie is also a choice, wearing red pants is also a choice. I think even being a skeptic is a bit of a choice. :)

2. As for how long humans have affected the environment, isn't that much older than the widespread adoption of agriculture? If I'm not mistaken, all around the world, there is a very strong correlation with Homo sapiens moving in, and species getting hunted to extinction.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 11:19:11 AM »
There was talk about if being gay is a choice or not, in regard to the study discussed. Well, who cares? Even if it would have been a choice, so what? What people do in their private lives that doesn't affect others, or with other consenting adults, should be their own business. Watching a movie is also a choice, wearing red pants is also a choice.

^ YES!!! This!!!

Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »
Admittedly, at first, I thought depopulation was going to take some effort. But if anyone actually does die as a result, I'm sure they'll all collectively win a Darwin Award.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »
2. As for how long humans have affected the environment, isn't that much older than the widespread adoption of agriculture? If I'm not mistaken, all around the world, there is a very strong correlation with Homo sapiens moving in, and species getting hunted to extinction.

All species affect the environment that they're a part of.

Without having listened to the segment, I guess the point is that agriculture was the start of humans rapidly changing the environment rather than slowly adapting to it. Hunting one species to extinction here and there is bad. But burning down forest after forest to clear land is so much worse and has a far greater long term impact.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 02:23:32 PM »
There was talk about if being gay is a choice or not, in regard to the study discussed. Well, who cares? Even if it would have been a choice, so what? What people do in their private lives that doesn't affect others, or with other consenting adults, should be their own business.

While this is true, homosexuality being a genetically-determined inherent characteristic was made central to many arguments against discrimination going back decades. That being gay is a natural, genetically-determined trait was historically a powerful argument that persuaded many people toward tolerance and against things like conversion therapy, and many gay activists worry that clouding this clear picture--even if it is reflects a cloudier reality--risks the progress they have made. And, as often as I have heard 'they were just born that way' used as an argument against homophobia, I understand their concern.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain