Author Topic: Episode #739  (Read 853 times)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: Episode #739
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »
Jay's insistence that Peter Frampton was the greatest use of a Talk Box only shows his ignorance of Jeff Beck.

or Stevie Wonder.

Peter Frampton did use it well on his live albums. I don't think the featured song was the best example.
Me recollection from back in the day was that Frampton used his own patented invention that picked up vibrations from his vocal cords and those excited the pickups on his electric guitar, which at the same time were being excited by the guitar strings. The sound we heard was coming from his guitar amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frampton's thing was way simpler than that.  It was a plastic tube attached to a small driver.  The guitar was played through the  driver, and the tube was placed in his mouth. He then played the guitar into his mouth, which was used to shape the sounds.

Whatever it was, it was really grating.

I think I was a junior in high school when Frampton Comes Alive was released.  I was so sick of that album.  It was on the radio constantly for what seemed like my entire 17th year.

So out of curiosity, I looked up Peter Frampton on Google Patents, and didn't find a patent for his gadget, but found patents under that name (with a different middle name) for some strange accounting things. But what's remarkable is that the company these patents were registered under was called: Comes Alive.

What's up with that?

Sounds like there is an accountant named Peter Frampton with a sense of humor.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 06:29:53 PM »
Jay's insistence that Peter Frampton was the greatest use of a Talk Box only shows his ignorance of Jeff Beck.

or Stevie Wonder.

Peter Frampton did use it well on his live albums. I don't think the featured song was the best example.
Me recollection from back in the day was that Frampton used his own patented invention that picked up vibrations from his vocal cords and those excited the pickups on his electric guitar, which at the same time were being excited by the guitar strings. The sound we heard was coming from his guitar amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frampton's thing was way simpler than that.  It was a plastic tube attached to a small driver.  The guitar was played through the  driver, and the tube was placed in his mouth. He then played the guitar into his mouth, which was used to shape the sounds.

Whatever it was, it was really grating.

I think I was a junior in high school when Frampton Comes Alive was released.  I was so sick of that album.  It was on the radio constantly for what seemed like my entire 17th year.

Yeah.  And now, thanks to this thread, it's stuck back in my head.
It's been rattling around in my brain since I listened to the show yesterday. Misery loves company.  >:D
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 06:31:37 PM »

Sounds like there is an accountant named Peter Frampton with a sense of humor.

That would be this guy

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Frampton/e/B00II9PX0M/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_2
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Over Nine Thousand!
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 08:46:29 PM »

or Stevie Wonder.

I could hear absolutely nothing other than audience noise in the clip.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
There was talk about if being gay is a choice or not, in regard to the study discussed. Well, who cares? Even if it would have been a choice, so what? What people do in their private lives that doesn't affect others, or with other consenting adults, should be their own business. Watching a movie is also a choice, wearing red pants is also a choice. I think even being a skeptic is a bit of a choice. :)

It seems to be at the crux of of what is protected and what isn't i.e. you can't discriminate against race or gender because it is an innate quality. Anti-LGBT folks claim orientation is a choice so it's not protected. LGBTQ rights folks took the bait and off everyone went on the search for the "gay gene". Meanwhile, everyone forgot that the the Constitution's protections began with religion which is clearly a choice.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:21:27 AM by gebobs »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
Meanwhile, everyone forgot that the the Constitution's protections began with religion which is clearly a choice.

From what I've seen, people don't have free will in choosing their religion any more than choosing their sexuality.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »
Meanwhile, everyone forgot that the the Constitution's protections began with religion which is clearly a choice.

From what I've seen, people don't have free will in choosing their religion any more than choosing their sexuality.

Well, I agree with you, and I also disagree with you.  People do often change their religion, and also drop their religion (as the number of atheists shows).  But I don’t think there’s free will.  Free will involves making decisions.  Decisions can be conscious and uncaused, conscious and caused, subconscious and uncaused, or subconscious and caused.  Caused means affected by the circumstances prevailing and the innate makeup of the person (genetics and previous experiences).

If free will exists, then decisions will be conscious and uncaused.  But most, if not all, decisions are subconscious and caused, and then later rationalised by the person.  If another person knew everything about the person’s innate makeup and the prevailing circumstances at the time the decision was being made, then a prediction of the person’s decision could be made with 100% accuracy.  And if the person couldn’t have done anything else, then how could the person have free will?

People have free unwill - the ability to cancel decisions made, but not yet carried out.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »

OK, I don't really care to go down the free will rabbit hole. The argument, as presented by anti-LGBT folks, is a binary: homosexuality is not innate (genetic or otherwise), it is choice (or learned behavior).

Yes, one's religion is typically cast by the religion of our parents, relatives, friends, etc. So are a lot of things: nationalism, political affiliation, following sports teams, etc. I am a Buffalo Bills fan. I was not born this way. I am a Bills fan because my father, brother, and close friends are Bills fans. I wasn't born that way. I was conditioned to it. I still have a choice.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:32:12 AM by gebobs »

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 11:37:59 AM »

OK, I don't really care to go down the free will rabbit hole. The argument, as presented by anti-LGBT folks, is a binary: homosexuality is not innate (genetic or otherwise), it is choice (or learned behavior).

Yes, one's religion is typically cast by the religion of our parents, relatives, friends, etc. So are a lot of things: nationalism, political affiliation, following sports teams, etc. I am a Buffalo Bills fan. I was not born this way. I am a Bills fan because my father, brother, and close friends are Bills fans. I wasn't born that way. I was conditioned to it. I still have a choice.

Really?  Choose not to be one, then.  Just as an experiment.  You can, after all, choose to be one again later, right?

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »
I wish I had the free will to choose not get involved...

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 01:09:22 PM »
I wish I had the free will to choose not get involved...

Don't we all.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2019, 03:05:41 PM »
I guess that some shade being thrown my way and I'm too stupid to see why.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »

Really?  Choose not to be one, then.  Just as an experiment.  You can, after all, choose to be one again later, right?

I chose to become a Leafs fan for a few years. It started as a way to connect with friends. Over a few seasons I got into it, watching all the games, following the players, having opinions about the coaching and management, etc. I joined pools. After about 5 years I decided I had better things to do with my time, and stopped. Now I don't even know when the season starts.

* brilligtove prepares for 'no true Scotsman...' comments.

I will not be defending my sincerity as a fan. It was a choice I made and enjoyed until I didn't enjoy it anymore so I stopped.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »

I chose to become a Leafs fan for a few years. It started as a way to connect with friends. Over a few seasons I got into it, watching all the games, following the players, having opinions about the coaching and management, etc. I joined pools. After about 5 years I decided I had better things to do with my time, and stopped. Now I don't even know when the season starts.

* brilligtove prepares for 'no true Scotsman...' comments.

I will not be defending my sincerity as a fan. It was a choice I made and enjoyed until I didn't enjoy it anymore so I stopped.

I enjoy the illusion of free will, too.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »
I choose to live my life as though I had the free will to make choices within certain narrow parameters. I cannot choose to become president or to get on a team for the canoe race between Maui and the Big Island. But I can choose whether or not to walk down to the canoe club in the morning and paddle if there's a seat available (which there almost always is -- I think three times in 9 months I had to go back home without paddling because there were too many paddlers and not enough steersmen). I don't actually know if there's any free will at all, but I do know that scientist-philosophers disagree on the question, and I regard it as unsettled.

And I consider the question of whether homosexuality or gender non-conformity is a choice or imposed by genes or other factors to be irrelevant to the issues of civil and human rights.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain