Author Topic: Does Apple Conspire With Premium Podcast Companies?  (Read 509 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Does Apple Conspire With Premium Podcast Companies?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
As I have said on numerous occasions previously, Apple products work extremely well with other Apple products, and very badly with non-Apple products. As long as you put yourself wholly within the walled garden, they work great. And this includes iTunes.

But if you're running iTunes on Windows, then... well, just don't do that. There are better products.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 11:32:16 PM »
Even on my Mac I hate iTunes. But I easily avoid using it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 12:23:51 AM »
Thankfully (at least on the Mac) iTunes is about to go the way of the dodo.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 01:19:23 AM »
It already has on iOS.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 04:52:07 AM »
It already has on iOS.

Not fully. They still have the iTunes store as a separate app to buy or rent media. That is going to stay.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »
It's my understanding that iTunes only keeps the 300 most recent episodes of any podcast. My rule of thumb is if I download a podcast I really like through iTunes, I go into my iTunes media folder (Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Podcasts) and copy the file(s) off to a different drive for safe-keeping. The ONE time I didn't do this was for 5x5, the feed for which later broke. Thankfully (after a few emails and lots of waiting) the 5x5 feed has been restored, I was able to download them all via iTunes again and they're now copied off to an external drive.

As for premium podcasts, the only one I've had experience with was Skeptoid. Since they sent me a USB-drive with every episode up to that point (590or so), I only paid attention to the newer episodes in iTunes. I don't remember if all ~590 were in the paid iTunes feed or it it was just episodes 290-590. The only reason I paid for the membership was to have the back-catalog. I'd have paid for SGU Premium if they had a similar model, but luckily they have every episode available for individual download on their site. It's more time-consuming but at least it's free. Now that I think about it, I did subscribe to Coast To Coast AM's premium feed for a few years but that's a different story altogether. I can't remember how far back their episodes went as I've since tried to block it from memory...
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2019, 05:58:43 PM »
It already has on iOS.

Not fully. They still have the iTunes store as a separate app to buy or rent media. That is going to stay.

I expect the iTunes Store App to be removed, too.  Everything that can be purchased through iTunes Store can already be purchased through Music or TV, which makes it redundant.  And the whole point of project Catalyst is to converge iOS and macOS apps.

But what I was really talking about was the iTunes software, which had become bloated and buggy and was generally well past its sell-by date.

My only concern with the elimination of iTunes is that some of its iPhine management functionality is being integrated into Finder, which is already a bit bloated and suffering from feature-creep.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:01:42 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
It already has on iOS.

Uh, no. It has Apple Music. And Apple Podcasts. They have been separate for some time. I haven't had something called iTunes on my phone for ages.

ETA: Well don't I feel like a dope now. I just did a search on my phone and indeed there is something called the iTunes Store. I have never opened it, never seen the icon before and literally didn't even know it was there. I must have shuffled it off into a folder on my back page labelled "useless shit" years ago and forgotten about it. So yes, you're right and I'm wrong.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 04:48:51 AM »
It already has on iOS.

Uh, no. It has Apple Music. And Apple Podcasts. They have been separate for some time. I haven't had something called iTunes on my phone for ages.

I have that as well on my iPad and also separate Music, Podcast and AppleTV (for TV and Movies) apps

iTunes is redundant so it may well disappear with the next big update.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:52:26 AM by Tassie Dave »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 08:50:03 PM »
It already has on iOS.

I have that as well on my iPad and also separate Music, Podcast and AppleTV (for TV and Movies) apps

iTunes is redundant so it may well disappear with the next big update.

Seems likely.

personate-rain
personate-rain