Author Topic: Which country or territory do you think has the most beautiful flag?  (Read 446 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
I think Kazakhstan.

But I also like the flags of Wales and Macedonia.

(click to show/hide)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Which country or territory do you think has the most beautiful flag?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
It is obviously the flag of Khoroshyovo-Mnyovniki district, Russia

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 04:06:43 PM »
I like the Canadian flag. Nice colours. Minimalist, but easily recognisable.

I don't like ours (Australia) it has one too many flags on it. It needs to have the Union Jack removed.

New Zealand had a chance to have a nice flag but weren't smart enough to choose it over the old one.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
Flags don't really lend themselves very well to beauty. Uganda has a chicken on its flag. (Officially a crane, but it looks to me like a chicken.) Sri Lanka has a lion, which I like, but it's holding a sword, which I don't. My country (USA) has possibly the ugliest flag. But I'm prejudiced because I dislike the whole concept of nation-states, and our flag gets used by asshat nationalists as a symbol of how much they think we're better than other people.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 05:01:33 PM »
I think Canada's is the best-designed by far.  The U.S. flag is to me the most beautiful but only, I think, due to associations.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
I appreciate  the beauty of the US flag in its abstract current and historical relationships.

Each star represents a current state. Each stripe represents the each of the original 13 states.

Each of the colors represent some guiding principle, but I forget which. Liberty, freedom justice, enlightenment?   

Also the number of the stripes has some numerological significance, but who knows what that is.

Plus it’s dynamic.  Anytime we add a state we add a star. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »
I think Kazakhstan.

This is a really awesome flag.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
Remember this is just flags and not politics.

I like the union jack unique for its time.

I also like the Canadian maple leaf and also the Stars and Stripes. I also have a soft spot for the tricolor of France and Germany.  Simple design.

This is just off the top of my head and if I looked on line at all the flags I might find one I like better.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »
The classic designs are my favorites. Certainly the Union Jack. Most tricolors and crosses are nice: Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, France, Italy, and Jamaica come to mind. But for minimalist beauty, it's hard to beat Canada. Not impossible, but hard. And Japan and Switzerland nail it. Turkey gets an A for effort. Albania's double-headed eagle is badass. Nepal gets props for not going rectangular. China's is simply beautiful. Thailand's, while not strictly a tricolor, is a nice variant. Cuba's is nice but a ripoff of Puerto Rico's.

The order of colors of the Russian flag is off putting. The US flag has too much going on for my likes and, like Daniel, it sickens me to see fascists wrap themselves in it. Mexico's is in dire need of a makeover. Greece, Israel, and Finland could use an infusion of color. Blue is too cold to be on its own.

In the end, I'm going to put a nickel down for South Korea. It's got the minimalist white background symbolizing peace, the taeguk (similar to yin/yang) in the middle, and four trigrams that are four elements of various tetrads: celestial bodies (heaven, sun, moon, earth), seasons of the year, cardinal directions, family (father, mother, son, daughter), etc. It is considered to be a flag of the Korean people as much or more than the national flag.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 01:55:36 PM »
What Country?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »
that's the flag of Gondor which isn't a real place but a nice flag.

I like New Brunswick
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »
Personally I think judging flags on their beauty kind of misses the point. But that having been said, you might be interested in this:

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »
Switzerland:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Switzerland#/media/File%3AFlag_of_Switzerland.svg

Can’t go past the white cross on a red background (the reverse of the Red Cross).

I’d love to live there too, despite not being able to understand Swiss German.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 06:01:37 AM »
that's the flag of Gondor which isn't a real place but a nice flag.
Yep, and the best cavalry charge in unrecorded history.  ;D The characters are done in mithril, IIRC.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain