Author Topic: Should I get Skype?  (Read 365 times)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: Should I get Skype?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 10:50:03 PM »
I recently tried a free trial of Skype.

Skype is free.

But it’s not free to have a telephone number.

Ja, stimmt.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
I did a quick search and I'm pretty sure italki supports facetime which should already be installed on your mac.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 12:45:29 AM »
I did a quick search and I'm pretty sure italki supports facetime which should already be installed on your mac.

italki leaves it up to the teacher and student to use whatever platform they want. Facetime is acceptable if the teacher and student want. But the teacher I decided to start with said that Skype works better because of the texting feature. She'll be able to send me vocabulary lists, for example, which I can save on the computer for later study. I've never used Facetime or Skype because I have no family or friends who use either. But this teacher said that Facetime lacks features that are useful for teaching.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 01:01:11 AM »
P.S. When I did the built-in "test call" where it records your voice and then plays it back to you, it sounded kind of hollow. I didn't know if that's because Skype has low-quality audio transmission, or if it's just the build-in mic on my computer. So I tried a test with QuickTime audio record and playback, and yep, it's terrible. So I've ordered a mic from Amazon.

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Alex Simmons

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 03:03:36 AM »
I usually make up one, 0418123456 is my usual one (I hope there isn’t someone with this number who’s getting all my junk phone calls...)

Have you tried calling it?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »
I decided I didn't want to wait for the mic from Amazon so I went to Target. Had to drive all the way to Kahului, 12 or 14 minutes away (Target is on the near side of town). Bought a Logitech USB headset with mic. Scheduled my first French lesson on italki for Friday. (The bug spray guy is coming tomorrow for my quarterly chemical treatment, and Thursday the teacher I picked is not available. So my first lesson will be on lucky Friday the 13th. Assuming the 13th doesn't get me first. Skeptoid says there are fewer accidents on the 13th because so many people stay home so the roads are less crowded.)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck