Author Topic: Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time  (Read 1212 times)

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
https://time.com/4854718/quantum-entanglement-teleport-space/?fbclid=IwAR3Rb8eEZxOSvQGd3kmd3nFvIgly8E2qBkeAglxnp13qTJ5sUEtVgAFmXDQ

Quantum entanglement isn't in my wheelhouse. If some of you smart guys would explain this to me, I'd appreciate it. I don't get the part about "teleportation" or "beaming up" photons.

From the article in Time:

A team of researchers in China sent a photon from the ground to an orbiting satellite more than 300 miles above through a process known as quantum entanglement, according to MIT Technology Review. It’s the farthest distance tested so far in teleportation experiments, the researchers said.

For about a month, the scientists beamed up millions of photons from their ground station in Tibet to the low-orbiting satellite. They were successful in more than 900 cases.

“This work establishes the first ground-to-satellite up-link for faithful and ultra-long-distance quantum teleportation, an essential step toward global-scale quantum Internet,” the team said in a statement, according to MIT Technology Review.

The MIT-owned magazine described quantum entanglement as a “strange phenomenon” that occurs “when two quantum objects, such as photons, form at the same instant and point in space and so share the same existence.” “In technical terms, they are described by the same wave function,” it said.

The latest development comes almost a year after physicists successfully conducted the world’s first quantum teleportation outside of a laboratory. Scientists at that time determined quantum teleportation, which is often depicted as a futuristic tool in science-fiction films, is in fact possible.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »
This article is the best explanation I've seen. It is not "teleportation", it is quantum entanglement. Short answer: quantum entanglement can be established (quantum state can be sent) over radio (photons). This experiment, if valid, would be a record for longest distance of doing this.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:33:48 PM by stands2reason »

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
I mean it is cool up until people get sent to hell in a spaceship and they sew their own eyes shut.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
This article is the best explanation I've seen. It is not "teleportation", it is quantum entanglement. Short answer: quantum entanglement can be established (quantum state can be sent) over radio (photos). This experiment, if valid, would be a record for longest distance of doing this.

I thought a rule of quantum entanglement is that no information can be transferred.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
Oh I think I see what it's saying. They successfully sent 900 photons up yonder while the second of the entangled pair was on Earth and then they successfully "transported" a qubit thus. Is that it?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »
This article is the best explanation I've seen. It is not "teleportation", it is quantum entanglement. Short answer: quantum entanglement can be established (quantum state can be sent) over radio (photos). This experiment, if valid, would be a record for longest distance of doing this.

I thought a rule of quantum entanglement is that no information can be transferred.

No information can be transmitted faster than light, but that’s not what they’re doing here.  In order to extract the information in the qubit without destroying entanglement, they have to measure both quints using the same method, then compare the two.  Only by comparing them can they know what the state was.  That requires a classical communication channel, meaning the info can’t move faster than light.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 03:47:03 PM »

No information can be transmitted faster than light, but that’s not what they’re doing here.  In order to extract the information in the qubit without destroying entanglement, they have to measure both quints using the same method, then compare the two.  Only by comparing them can they know what the state was.  That requires a classical communication channel, meaning the info can’t move faster than light.

I see, thanks for clarifying

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 04:21:44 PM »

So what is the benefit of something like this? If you have to communicate the comparison at normal speeds with normal communication methods why not just use that normal communication method to tell people what you want or what you want them to do.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 04:36:07 PM by Shibboleth »
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »

So what is the benefit of something like this? If you have to communicate the comparison at normal speeds with normal communication methods why not just use that normal communication method to tell people what you want or what you want them to do.

I don’t know that there is a practical application, or that more is needed to justify the experiment than basic science: this experiment set a record for the distance over which entanglement has been created.  But the usually-cited purpose of such a quantum ‘communication’ channel is encryption. Quantum data sent in this manner could not be intercepted without the recipient and sender being aware of the interception, and the information that would have to be sent classically would not be sufficient to reconstruct the message. It could be used for secure key exchange over long distances.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:28:44 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:08:13 PM »
I mean it is cool up until people get sent to hell in a spaceship and they sew their own eyes shut.
In any event, that's just on the horizon.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 12:53:01 PM »

My understanding is that normal communication methods don't transfer (copy) qubits, they just transfer information about what a qubit was before it collapsed. Quantum computing and communication requires keeping qubits in a superposition.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »

Best explaination for teleporting I've seen.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 03:26:29 PM »

I don’t know that there is a practical application, or that more is needed to justify the experiment than basic science: this experiment set a record for the distance over which entanglement has been created.  But the usually-cited purpose of such a quantum ‘communication’ channel is encryption. Quantum data sent in this manner could not be intercepted without the recipient and sender being aware of the interception, and the information that would have to be sent classically would not be sufficient to reconstruct the message. It could be used for secure key exchange over long distances.

I suppose but you don't need this to have that sort of end to end security. I suppose it completely cuts off any option of a man in the middle.

All that I see is that nature is a complete bitch. Oh you can do something that is instantaneous but if you try to look at it it will break. 

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
It's my understanding that ruling out MITM attacks is precisely the point. If this can be done over long distances, then even at 1bps it becomes the fastest totally secure way to share a key.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 10:47:08 AM »

Best explaination for teleporting I've seen.

Yes very good but...

personate-rain