Oatmeal (rolled, steal cut, or ground)
8 (36.4%)
Grits (hominy, corn, or other maize)
3 (13.6%)
Wheat (Cream of wheat, Malt-o-meal)
0 (0%)
Rice (cream of rice, congee)
0 (0%)
Other hot grain (Quinoa, Pease, Flax, etc)
0 (0%)
Muesli (cold oats and dried fruits, granola based)
2 (9.1%)
Grain flakes (Corn flakes, Total, Special k, limited fruit or nuts like Raisin Bran)
1 (4.5%)
Grain puffs (unsweet like Rice krispies Kashi, kix)
0 (0%)
Shredded wheat (cold or hot) (did you know you can eat it hot?)
1 (4.5%)
Checks (unsweet like rice checks or crispix)
0 (0%)
Sugar coated stuff (Frosted flakes, Frosted mini wheat, Honey crisp)
2 (9.1%)
Sugar novelty (Captain crunch, Cookie crisp, Frankenberry, Honeycomb)
2 (9.1%)
Chocolate (any of the above, hot or cold but with chocolate)
1 (4.5%)
Stuff that's hard to chew (Grape-Nuts, All-Bran, Oat Bran, often contains a dash, no chocolate)
1 (4.5%)
Other
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Whats your favorite porridge/cereal and how do you like it  (Read 236 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Whats your favorite porridge/cereal and how do you like it
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:38 PM »
You have 2 votes so you can vote for your favorite hot and cold cereals but please post what toppings you like and how you prepare them. What are your favorite brands?

If I missed major categories let me know and I will add them. I only subdivided the sweet cereals once otherwise the poll would be too large.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
Re: Whats your favorite porridge/cereal and how do you like it
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:34:47 PM »
I like rolled oatmeal with brown sugar, cream and a little maple. I prefer cooked oatmeal over the instant crap. I like it thick so the cream or milk floats

Favorite cold cereal is Peanut Butter Captain Crunch, no other cereal seems to match this flavor or crunch. Its so crunchy it needs to sit in milk for a few moments before eating.

The hot shredded wheat thing was something my grandmother did.  She would soak the shredded wheat biscuit in boiling water for a few seconds then drain the water and cover with warm milk, a pat of butter and brown sugar.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »
I rarely eat cereal and never for breakfast. I'm a toast and coffee for breakfast person.

I'll occasionally buy cereal as a treat (Once or twice a year).

Our cereals are mostly the same as North America but with different names (Rice Bubbles = Rice Krispies, Coco Pops = Cocoa Krispies, Frosties = Frosted Flakes)

I like Coco Pops and Frosties, just with milk. If I buy cereal for a quick and easy meal while travelling, I will go for something less sweet, like Cornflakes or Weet Bix

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:52:12 PM »
Grape Nuts, with golden raisins and either milk or vanilla-bean ice cream. It's also pretty good for the initial sandblasting of old cast-iron objects. ;)

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:38:35 PM »
Grape Nuts, with golden raisins and either milk or vanilla-bean ice cream. It's also pretty good for the initial sandblasting of old cast-iron objects. ;)

I was thinking Grapenuts go in the Muesli/granola category but with more investigation on wiki I see its wheat dough cooked on a sheet pan then put through a coffee grinder, yum, they also do not make a chocolate version so that makes this cereal an outcast mutant. It also gives me an idea for a new cereal.   

How about "stuff that's hard to chew" category, I think this "All Bran" stuff fits too, its like sticks of grape nuts, none of them come in chocolate

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Oatmeal. No question. I like it with cinnamon and a small amount of brown sugar. When I used to make it for breakfast at the homeless shelter I cooked it with raisins as well as cinnamon. I cooked breakfast once a week and always made oatmeal because I cannot cook pancakes. I can never get the griddle the right temperature. One of the regulars started calling me Oatmeal Dan. They liked it, though. It's a substantial breakfast.

They served muesli at one of my hiking lodges up in Canada. It had yogurt in it and I'd go without food for a week before I'd eat that stuff. Fortunately, they were always happy to make hot cereal for me. Usually Oatmeal or Red River Cereal which is a multi-grain hot cereal.

Frosted Flakes used to be called Sugar Frosted Flakes. When sugar started being seen as the scourge it is, they took sugar out of the name, though not out of the cereal. Kellogg was a health fanatic. The people who ran his company after him, not so much.

I used to like Grape Nuts, but the stuff is loaded with sodium. Also, it's very dense and it takes a lot of it to fill me up, which means too many calories. A sensible portion size is too little to satisfy me. But it's good.

The only cereal I ever have in the house is oatmeal. I don't eat breakfast because I cannot do cardio on a full stomach. But I'll have oatmeal at other times of day. It's a good high-quality grain. A healthy carb.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:07:26 PM »
I like anything with chocolate. Granola with chocolate is the best. If there is no chocolate in the thing, I'll add some; e.g. Miniwheats with 90% dark chocolate chips.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 11:16:00 PM »
Kellogg was a health fanatic. The people who ran his company after him, not so much.

So they weren't into his nutty pseudoscience health woo, sexual abstinence and anti-wanking dogma  ;)

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 11:27:14 PM »
I like anything with chocolate. Granola with chocolate is the best. If there is no chocolate in the thing, I'll add some; e.g. Miniwheats with 90% dark chocolate chips.

It tickles me that every category comes in chocolate except the one.

I want to confirm that I found a chocolate grits recipe as well as chocolate polenta (grits with a higher price tag) I found something called Champorado from the Philippines that mite as well be a chocolate congee. It cant be any worse than chocolate malt-o-meal.

That hard to chew category is still the only one without chocolate but I suppose you could add your own.

Is it ok to use chocolate milk with Rice Krispies if you are out of Cocoa Krispies?

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »
I rarely eat cereal and never for breakfast. I'm a toast and coffee for breakfast person.

I'll occasionally buy cereal as a treat (Once or twice a year).

Our cereals are mostly the same as North America but with different names (Rice Bubbles = Rice Krispies, Coco Pops = Cocoa Krispies, Frosties = Frosted Flakes)

I like Coco Pops and Frosties, just with milk. If I buy cereal for a quick and easy meal while travelling, I will go for something less sweet, like Cornflakes or Weet Bix

Thats interesting, we have Coco Puffs but your Coco Pops are the same as our Coco Krispies.  "Frosties" are Frosted Flakes and as Daniel said used to be Sugar Frosted Flakes, I hope you call Tony the tiger GRRREAT or do you have a different name and slogan?

Weet-Bix could go with shredded wheat and I did find it in chocolate so It cant go in the hard to chew category. That mite be an "other" 

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 01:01:05 AM »
Thats interesting, we have Coco Puffs but your Coco Pops are the same as our Coco Krispies.  "Frosties" are Frosted Flakes and as Daniel said used to be Sugar Frosted Flakes, I hope you call Tony the tiger GRRREAT or do you have a different name and slogan?

We use the same slogan and Tony the Tiger.

Snap, Crackle and Pop we also use for our Rice Bubbles (Rice Krispies)

Coco Pops ever since I was a kid (1960s) always had the slogan "Just like a chocolate milkshake, only crunchy!". Which I believe is only used in Australia, NZ and the UK.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 02:54:02 AM »
I have to go slightly off topic for a moment.

I used to say that mafia is what keeps me around here but honestly its these kind of discussions on food and culture that I like the most.  Better than the tech and entertainment forums which I also like. Science, Health and Politics are important to me but regardless of political or "skeptical stance" its really great to learn about what people had for breakfast or what they call a sandwich in different parts of the world.

If there are arguments they tend to be light hearted and people rarely get offend unless you put sugar on grits or salt on oatmeal (heathens, i'm looking at you Ireland  >:D )

It would certainly interest me to see more recipes and food habits from here and other parts of the world when the topics come up. I think you can learn about people and their culture by learning about what they eat. In most cases, I want to try eating what you eat.

Anyway without getting too sappy I just wanted to express my thoughts and say that I enjoy these conversations.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 04:54:22 AM »
To prove my heathen status...I put salt on steel cut oats.  Along with butter and a bit of demerara sugar.

I prefer my grits with cheese, butter and salt.  Sometimes crumbles of bacon.  Sometimes, for shits and giggles, with an over-easy egg on top with some hot sauce.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 06:51:21 AM »
I put a little salt in the oats too, it brings out the sweetness.

I watched a cooking show where the chef cooked the oats with salt then finished with cream and more salt, it was a lot of salt and he made a point of saying no sugar. I tried it that way and didn't like it.  He was a high end hotel chef and I am fairly certain it was Ireland but I could be mistaken.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
Kellogg was a health fanatic. The people who ran his company after him, not so much.

So they weren't into his nutty pseudoscience health woo, sexual abstinence and anti-wanking dogma  ;)

Correct. But they also sell "breakfast cereal" that is almost entirely sugar, with just a tiny bit of grain and a vitamin pill mixed in.

... unless you put [...] salt on oatmeal ...

I always cook oatmeal with a pinch of salt substitute (potassium chloride, brand name No-Salt). Formerly I used a pinch of salt. Not enough to taste the salt, but to me it's unpleasant without any salt (or the substitute).
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain