Author Topic: Episode #740  (Read 982 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #740
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 05:05:07 PM »
I have literally never heard anyone pronounce Lourdes as "Lords". Is that an east coast US thing?

Yes, but maybe more than just the east coast.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 05:49:06 PM »
I have literally never heard anyone pronounce Lourdes as "Lords". Is that an east coast US thing?

Even George Carlin said "Lureds" when talking about his Catholic upbringing in Class Clown (I think), and he was from NYC.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 08:18:27 PM »
Someone on the show (Steve, I think?) said that EVs would last longer than gas cars because they have fewer moving parts. It's true that gas engines have a shit-ton of moving parts, none of which an EV has. But engines can be re-built or replaced with used. A car is junk when other stuff wears out, the frame rusts out, etc. I am a total fan of electric cars (I love mine, and I loved the two I had before this one). And it's true that today's batteries will outlast the car, providing that the car maker uses the most modern battery-management technology. But I think it might be premature to expect an EV to last longer than a Honda or a Toyota gas car.

More relevant is that EVs have a much simpler and more reliable drive train.

Someone else said that Tesla's Powerwall is "not quite there" yet. I beg to differ. My system with 32 panels on the roof and two Powerwalls has an expected break-even time of about five years. The same for the system for the cottage, which is half the size. We pay something like 35¢/kWh here, and have abundant sunlight, and solar panels with Tesla Powerwall is most definitely "here," practical, and economical.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #740 - Lightning, Power and Energy
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 08:31:21 PM »

So a kiloWatt hour (kWh)

It's kilowatts, not kiloWatts.  You will be assimilated.

Repeat for other eponymic units, including "newtons"; with a few exceptions, eg "degrees Farenheit"

It might be ‘kilowatt,’ but, illogically, the abbreviation is ‘kW’ and also ‘kW-h.’  As is noted.  Why a person’s name should have a small letter in full, and a large letter in abbreviation is a mystery.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »

Even George Carlin said "Lureds" when talking about his Catholic upbringing in Class Clown (I think), and he was from NYC.

Perhaps if one is raised Catholic, one hears the name pronounced more than one who is not. I’m not sure I ever heard it pronounced; I’d’ve pronounced it as Steve did, I’d ever had occasion to.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:11:33 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »
Someone else said that Tesla's Powerwall is "not quite there" yet. I beg to differ. My system with 32 panels on the roof and two Powerwalls has an expected break-even time of about five years. The same for the system for the cottage, which is half the size. We pay something like 35¢/kWh here, and have abundant sunlight, and solar panels with Tesla Powerwall is most definitely "here," practical, and economical.

That's the perfect use case!  I have to say, though, It depends.  We just got a set installed for power backup (power outage when >110°F wasn't fun), and we're in earthquake country, so wanted to avoid a natural gas line generator.  So for that, it's great, but not so great for saving money because of our power rates.  We're in Los Angeles, and DWP is fairly generous with selling back solar power (retail rates).  Other utilities only buy back the power at wholesale rates, or worse, don't do net metering at all.  In those cases, a Powerwall is great for storing the power, and discharging when rates are high or at night, when you can't generate energy through solar.  For us, even with the app set to cost saving mode (sells power at expensive times, instead of storing it), I calculated a pay back of just under 200 years.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
Listening to Cara talk about yet another trip to Africa, and I'm wondering what the point of going into the details of it is, when they're not mentioning the reason for why she's gone on these trips. I'm assuming it's documentaries. But it sounds like they're doing travel advertisement. Which I would complain about if the SGU did as a regular advertisement, same as I do when they advertise meat, because it's not something that the world needs more of. "one of the longest flights you can take", that right there is a clue that this isn't something people should be doing a lot of.

Edit: And then Jay follows the WTN segment with "get on an airplane, for crying out loud".
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:13:55 AM by 2397 »

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »

That's the perfect use case!  I have to say, though, It depends.  We just got a set installed for power backup (power outage when >110°F wasn't fun), and we're in earthquake country, so wanted to avoid a natural gas line generator.  So for that, it's great, but not so great for saving money because of our power rates.  We're in Los Angeles, and DWP is fairly generous with selling back solar power (retail rates).  Other utilities only buy back the power at wholesale rates, or worse, don't do net metering at all.  In those cases, a Powerwall is great for storing the power, and discharging when rates are high or at night, when you can't generate energy through solar.  For us, even with the app set to cost saving mode (sells power at expensive times, instead of storing it), I calculated a pay back of just under 200 years.

When you have net metering or a generous buy-back, as you do, it's obvious that batteries will not be economical. The grid itself is giving you free "storage" of your excess solar. I submit that it's unfair to say that batteries are not economical because they're more expensive than a free storage system.

In your case what the batteries provide you is a back-up for grid outages, and the value of that cannot be done with a simple ROI calculation. That's a very personal and subjective calculation of how much it's worth to you to have power when the grid is down. Presumably that doesn't happen very often, but you are willing to pay a lot for electricity during those times. My batteries are running my house all night, every night, plus they are buffering the house load between times when the house is drawing more than the panels are producing, and times when the panels are producing more than the house is using.

Of course, it's always nice to get cheaper batteries. If they were cheap enough, every house could have backup storage for power failures. But obviously, power during outages is worth more to you than the cost of the batteries, over their expected lifetime. Not so long ago you would have had to just suffer. Heck, not all that long ago, people didn't have air conditioning at all. It often hits 40 C in Seville, Spain, and I once saw 45 C when I was living there, and very few people have A/C there at all. When the sun goes down the streets there are packed shoulder to shoulder with people streaming outside because it's a bit cooler than in their homes.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »

When you have net metering or a generous buy-back, as you do, it's obvious that batteries will not be economical. The grid itself is giving you free "storage" of your excess solar. I submit that it's unfair to say that batteries are not economical because they're more expensive than a free storage system.

I'd say it's fair to say it depends on your specific situation.  YMMV.

That said, it's so cool to look at the energy flow and parse the downloadable data from the Tesla app.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 05:23:28 PM »

I'd say it's fair to say it depends on your specific situation.  YMMV.

That said, it's so cool to look at the energy flow and parse the downloadable data from the Tesla app.

Yes, it depends on your specific situation: If you already have free storage, paying for a different kind of storage is not economical.

And, yes, it's cool to see the energy flow and the production and consumption totals. After about a month and a half, though, I quit watching it. Now I just look at the monthly totals on Solar Edge a couple of times a month to see that everything has been going as expected. The "month" page shows me a bar graph with production and consumption for each day, and the totals in kWh for the month.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 09:57:07 PM »
nice to hear the guys talking about psychedelics, finally. (technically not psychedelics, but you know what I mean, the insightful healing class of illicit drugs)

been wanting to ask them about this for quite a while (how can you study neurology and not be fascinated with the brain!)

hadn't had ket in a while before last night  :D weird coincidence.

I first decided to try ketamine after a professor mentioned that it's quite popular with philosophers. Sadly I found out recently he died last month  :'(
it's a beautiful first hand experience of how our collection of senses and mental concepts constructs the simulation that we at our most naive call 'reality'; what Nietzsche would call our 'perspective'.

my only k-hole experience so far wasn't the same as Cara's, except for the stillness (a kind of amnesia of mobility), and the observation of the nausea comparable to 'spinning out' on a high dose of THC (all I'd taken that night before this bump was an edible, so that may've contributed). I did decide to puke, but that was part of what fascinated me, it wasn't the awful feeling of puking up alcohol and feeling horrible, and it wasn't forced over me by my body  it was mental processes that invoked the vomiting, similar to how I 'psych myself out' and get nauseated trying to swallow THC edibles* (like I'm on an episode of Fear Factor) -- I was collapsed down to a kind of crouch, staying still, undisturbed, and I was so lost... I had mentally gone down such a deep labyrinth of invented visions that I couldn't remember or explain, like having a shitty short-term memory and trying to describe that whole 'child wanders off' scene near the start of Us (2019), that I was worried I might not be able to find my way back up to 'reality' ... there was no golden thread of memory, no breadcrumb path, and where I had twisted and turned myself down into was a dimension nauseatingly unfamiliar, 'unanchored' (it's a thought I have a lot on acid)...the web we suspend ourselves in comfortably like a spider. we hate to be dangling and blowing about in the wind... we need a few basic threads, like which way is up, where am I, what am I, and then we have ourselves tethered in a stable but vague space, and we start to make the web more and more elaborate, with ideas of other people and other places and what they mean and how to talk about them and how they can be used, and how our body can be used, and all these taken for granted familiarities ('these are my legs, I use them with the power of my mind to move about in this landscape', 'that person my mouth can summon the cooperation of' and so forth ... rather than being disorientated, drunk in a dark jungle in a foreign country...so many layers of not knowing, so many that it makes you not so much scared as motion-sick...a total lack of the comfort of familiarity, the nausea of amnesia).
my favorite part was the stages of losing a grip of the various facets of linguistic communication. first I was puzzled about what their speaking 'meant', then I was unsure if my tongue noises would be appropriate, I made them, and as though I had played a melody that I deemed not dissonant, I understood that I had fulfilled my intention and role in the conversation, though I don't know what words I actually contributed, if a question was asked and answered, or if I had a point of view I added on some topic ... but like improvising a melody in a band, I felt like I put the right little diddy in that part along with their noises. not long later I had to wonder if 'what...the...fuck' was a sequence of sounds that had some sort of sense (I was very impressed to find that it was so much more 'trippy' than acid). I spoke them, and it seems like I had done something right -- expressing my bewilderment and amazement at the abject fuckery of how deep the rabbit hole was going. It was after that that I found myself no longer standing, and my perception of my surroundings changing to the imaginary, a dreamworld where I was tiny, like a bug in a shag carpet--"it's a Kafka high", to steal a line from famous druggie novelist W. S. Burroughs. That level of dissociation from humaning and the familiar space our meat ambulates around was where I began to explore my confusion and get nauseated.

doesn't surprise me at all Cara's the only one who feels free to admit publicly any experience ;) always appreciate that she brings something unique to the table.

*we in Christchurch 8) don't have the kind of taste-free extract Americans with a legal market have,
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:03:48 PM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 09:58:07 PM »
"one of the longest flights you can take", that right there is a clue that this isn't something people should be doing a lot of.

this feels like a 'name that fallacy' segment.

Super Lightening
Super Lightning.

I award thee The Pendant of Pendanticness
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:00:36 PM by GodSlayer »
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »

Thank you.

*throws it onto a huge pile of identical awards*
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 09:18:28 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Very poetic.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
Thank you.

*throws it onto a huge pile of identical awards*

among my least favorite memes is 'AKSHUALLY' guy. like, geez, sorry I said something correct, guys.

Yes, Lourdes doesn’t seem to be pronounced as ‘Lords.’  Not that it’s a place name I’ll ever need to ask for as a destination I’d want to visit.

The British English pronunciation:
https://www.pronouncenames.com/Lourdes

The French pronunciation:
https://www.howtopronounce.com/french/lourdes/

my rule-of-thumb for French pronunciation is to imagine that I suffer from ennui half way through every word, and if I see consonants upcoming, just to give up entirely on sayin' i' an' mov' o' to the nex' wo'
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:21:45 PM by GodSlayer »

personate-rain
personate-rain