Author Topic: How do you make it without meat?  (Read 1176 times)

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: How do you make it without meat?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 12:29:57 AM »
I find mushrooms to be devoid of substance. Grill it and put in in a whole-grain bun with condiments and the bread is filling, and the mushroom gives texture. But it doesn't have much else. But any bean with any whole grain gives you a complete protein and tastes great. I find that beans without a grain or other carb are unpleasant. But as soon as they're mixed with brown rice or baked potato or eaten on whole-grain bread or wrapped in a corn tortilla (or even a whole-wheat flour tortilla as a second choice) then they are yummy.

I put some chopped mushroom on pizza to add bulk, but otherwise I find mushrooms uninteresting. I've eaten a portobello burger at a restaurant while traveling, and it was dull. With the bun and sides it sated my hunger. But I would not choose to eat another if I had any other choice.

Well, mushrooms are very nutritious provided you eat them with *food:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mushrooms+nutritional+value&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari

I include them in my daily vegetable casserole, but only for their taste and texture.

Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 05:50:24 AM »
I find that a can of mixed beans make a good meat filler for things such as curry or salads.
They can be mashed to give a bit of texture depending on what you prefer.
I transitioned to cutting my meat intake in half but found that eating the same meals and just swapping the meat out made them a bit limited.
What I did instead (and what most veggies seem to do?) was to look for new meals I might enjoy that did not rely on the presence of meat in the first place and then started putting them in the rotation.
It required a bit of math at first to ensure I was getting all the nutrients and calories I may have relied on meat for but once you have your go to's thats easy peasy and the process was educational.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 07:18:21 AM »
If I had to give up meat I'd rely heavily on curries, lots of curries.

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »
If I had to give up meat I'd rely heavily on curries, lots of curries.

I’m not particularly keen on curry as a flavor enhancer (I prefer onion flakes and pepper), but what difference does it make adding curry to vegetables or beans?  I eat a lot of vegetables, a mixture of 10 vegetables daily, so I get variety everyday despite having the same meal everyday.  I have a bite of Brussels sprouts, then broccoli, followed by to tomato, or mushroom, or carrot, or capsicum, or whatever).

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 08:36:26 PM »
I love curries. Note that curry is not a single spice or flavor. It's a type of cooking that, done right, involves a large number of different spices in different combinations. The curry powders sold in stores are each just one combination of spices. An Indian or Thai restaurant will have different kinds of curries, each prepared individually.

But I also love plain steamed veggies.

I miss being able to go to an Indian restaurant. Like other restaurants, they use too much sodium.

ETA: Someone trying to give up meat would do well to try the vegetarian options at a good Indian or Thai restaurant. I prefer Indian, but that's just me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »
I love curries. Note that curry is not a single spice or flavor. It's a type of cooking that, done right, involves a large number of different spices in different combinations. The curry powders sold in stores are each just one combination of spices. An Indian or Thai restaurant will have different kinds of curries, each prepared individually.

I miss being able to go to an Indian restaurant. Like other restaurants, they use too much sodium.

ETA: Someone trying to give up meat would do well to try the vegetarian options at a good Indian or Thai restaurant. I prefer Indian, but that's just me.

Yes, but the various spices making up curries are just taste enhancers.  They’re not providing any significant nutritional value.

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/185/2

I think it’s better to be cooking your own meals, rather than going to restaurants or buying prepared meals from shops.  And if you like curries, then cook your own curries at home, so you know what you’re eating.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 11:23:24 AM »

Yes, but the various spices making up curries are just taste enhancers.  They’re not providing any significant nutritional value.

I think it’s better to be cooking your own meals, rather than going to restaurants or buying prepared meals from shops.  And if you like curries, then cook your own curries at home, so you know what you’re eating.

True: Spices are taste enhancers. I like taste. But I cannot go to restaurants any more because of the sodium, so I cook all my own meals. I'm used to that. When I first became a vegetarian, restaurants had nothing I could eat other than salad, and a salad is not a meal. I eat lots of salad, but alone it's not enough.

I use "curry powder" in my cooking. But that does not make it curry. I consider myself a pretty good cook, but I'm nowhere near good enough to make real curry well. So it's one of those things I cannot have any more.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »

its not just about adding "curry powder" or seasonings to a dish to make it a curry

All Indian restaurant curry starts with a base consisting of mostly fresh onion, garlic, ginger, and other vegetables, this is where the main flavor comes from and i'm assuming has some nutritional value. They then add other seasonings and ingredients to this base to turn it into the different styles of curry. I personally find it to be pretty simple to make.

here is one recipe for a restaurant style curry base
https://greatcurryrecipes.net/2013/12/31/make-indian-restaurant-style-curry-sauce-large-batch/
10 large cooking onions – finely sliced
250ml vegetable oil
9 tablespoons garlic/ginger paste (equal amounts garlic and ginger blended into a paste with a little water.)
1 carrot - peeled and chopped
¼ head of cabbage - chopped
1 red capsicum (bell pepper) - diced
1 green capsicum (bell pepper) - diced
water
400ml (14 US fluid ounces ) chopped tomatoes
4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
1 tablespoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon fenugreek powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste (I usually leave this out and simply add it to the final dish)

the site has links on how to turn this base into your desired curry,

my personal favorite is Butter Chicken or Murgh Makhani. I personally prefer it with Paneer (fresh cheese) rather than chicken. Aloo gobi (potatoes and cauliflower) is another favorite.

this guy does a pretty good video demonstration of a restaurant base

Thai and Jamaican curry are both made differently but I have some experience with those too.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
Captain Video,

Your suggested recipe of curry is a good idea.  It would certainly add to the average daily cooking of 27 minutes Americans are supposed to do according to Michael Pollan (which includes heating prepared meals from supermarkets).

People should mostly eat at home meals they’ve cooked themselves from mostly basic ingredients.  Eating at restaurants should be minimal.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »
You can make the base curry in advance then freeze it into ice cube trays. Once frozen break out the cubes into a freezer bag for storage. 

I also do this with my meat stocks but you could do it with a vegetarian stock.

Just add as many cubes to your dish as you need them. This is especially handy if you only cook for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
You can make the base curry in advance then freeze it into ice cube trays. Once frozen break out the cubes into a freezer bag for storage. 

I also do this with my meat stocks but you could do it with a vegetarian stock.

Just add as many cubes to your dish as you need them. This is especially handy if you only cook for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got rid of my freezer for environmental reasons (with the freezer, my electricity usage was 5 kW.hr/day, 3 without it), so it’s not an option.  One week is about the limit for prepared meals in the fridge for me.  I could cook the curry base in advance for a week, but I’d be having curries for the week.  I prefer the convenience of just adding the spices separately to taste.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 02:11:50 AM »

this guy does a pretty good video demonstration of a restaurant base

That is one WEIRD base, though it is a white dude doing it so that is to be expected.

I would recommend doing it more Indian, which is way simpler. The basis of almost all Indian gravy-based foods is onions, tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste (and green chilies), cooked down and then blended. You can then add any masala (spice mixture) you want, even if you make it yourself it takes a couple minutes, some vegetables/paneer and then cream, coconut milk or just water. It is really simple and you can make it on the spot with minimal effort.

For a basic masala you can really go with garam masala, chili powder and turmeric, but it is a good idea to stock up on more items, preferably not ground, that you can toast up and grind at your leisure.

The only thing worth freezing, in my view, is lentils and beans. You can cook them up in advance in large batches, preferably in a pressure cooker and then just freeze it and use it as needed to cut back on cooking time.

Chetna Makan has a fantastic channel with a lot of easy recipes like this one:

I can also recommend the website Show Me the Curry, which has LOADS of great recipes.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 11:21:07 AM »
@Rai. Thanks for that. I'm going to check it out, I love Indian curry and would love to learn to make it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »
@Rai. Thanks for that. I'm going to check it out, I love Indian curry and would love to learn to make it.

good luck! There are loads of other channels from Indians and Pakistanis out there, if you want I can recommend some more.

BTW, you may want to get a pressure cooker. It is absolutely terrifying, but it makes cooking lentils and beans so much more convenient.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
That is one WEIRD base, though it is a white dude doing it so that is to be expected.

Is the ability to cook certain foods in the skin color? I had no idea. Sounds like pseudoscientific bullshit to me.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain