Author Topic: Virginia Company Mocked Muslim Job Seeker’s Religion During Interview  (Read 207 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I actually heard about this through atheist circles with the atheist community sounding relatively supporting of her right.
It does not sound like she is really asking for anything extra but to break up a lunch break in order to get private prayers.
They claim that she would have preached her religion but the number of times I have had Christians preach their religion at me is incredible.
Does sound like diversity is just a world they fling around and it also sounds like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has been corrupted.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/shahin-indorewala-fast-trak-muslim-discrimination-lawsuit_n_5d8cd39fe4b0019647a4be8e
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
As described, it sounds like a reasonable request for accommodation, which it would have been right to grant, whether they were legally required to do so or not.

But I try always to remember that in such circumstances there are usually facts that we do not know and which the employer cannot reveal.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
As described, it sounds like a reasonable request for accommodation, which it would have been right to grant, whether they were legally required to do so or not.

But I try always to remember that in such circumstances there are usually facts that we do not know and which the employer cannot reveal.
I suspect there is some missing info on this one, mostly because folks involved in hiring mostly know better than to reveal their bias so blatantly. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
There is quite a large Muslim population in Canberra, and I have never, ever had someone try to preach Islam at me. I don't know if that's something that Muslims even do. I've never heard the phrase "evangelical Muslim".
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
Wait a minute... an atheist actually standing up for somebody's right to observe their own faith?

Well I never.  ::)