Author Topic: Why do you like Halloween?  (Read 979 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Why do you like Halloween?
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
Fun fact about pumpkins.

The difference between living on the humid coast and the dry inland.

On the coast, your pumpkin goes moldy in days, but your Christmas tree stays nice for weeks.

Inland, your pumpkin is fine for weeks, but your Christmas tree is dry kindling in days.

True.

When carving Jack O' lanterns it is crucial to remove all of the pulp from the interior. Also try not to gouge the interior.

That said, while I usually do my carving 3-4 days before  Hallowe'en, I am considering doing it earlier, as the Jack O' Lanterns do take on more of a decrepit character once they start to decompose slightly.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »
I wonder if something like a brine since on the interior might prevent some of the rapid decay...? If I have the energy I'll try an experiment this year.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »
beetle juice

You'd better not say that another two times.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »
I wonder if something like a brine since on the interior might prevent some of the rapid decay...? If I have the energy I'll try an experiment this year.

soak it in water with a cup of bleach then cover the inside with Vaseline

hydrated it daily with water/bleach spray

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2019, 03:12:17 PM »
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_101019/

Halloween would not be complete without treats. Among a list of eight top-selling types of candy, the most popular one by far is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, with 36% of Americans picking this as their favorite. In second place is Snickers at 18%, and M&M’s round out the top three at 11%. The other five candies named in the poll receive far fewer votes as top choice, including Hershey bars (6%), candy corn (6%), Skittles (5%), Starburst (4%), and Tootsie Pops (2%).  There are some slight regional variations – e.g. Reese’s cups are somewhat more likely to be the top pick in the Midwest (41%), Northeast (37%), and Southeast (36%) than they are in the West (32%) and Southwest/Mountain (30%) regions – while Snickers bars are slightly more popular in the West (22%) and Southwest/Mountain (21%) regions than they are in the Southeast (17%), Northeast (16%), and Midwest (16%). However, the top three candies stay in the same order across every region of the country.

“Candy corn even making the list may surprise some people, but it is one of the top-selling Halloween candies in the country. We don’t know if it’s one of the top-eaten candies, but it does have a fan base. And candy corn make great fake teeth to creep out your parents with,” said Murray.

I hand out Reese's single cups but this year I will have a separate box for kids with peanut allergies.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress