Author Topic: Resurgence of astrology  (Read 172 times)

Offline Zelda McMuffin

• Off to a Start
Resurgence of astrology
« on: October 21, 2019, 10:15:55 PM »
The content of this article won't be news to SGU listeners, but I didn't realize the extent to which people are using mumbo jumbo to talk frankly with each other. This piece suggests that, because actual therapy takes time and effort, people are using astrology instead. What next?  Claiming readings as a medical expense?

Astrology in the Age of Uncertainty https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/10/28/astrology-in-the-age-of-uncertainty

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Resurgence of astrology
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:40:52 AM »
I was born on the same day as Rush Limbaugh, and within a few miles of him. This proves astrology is bullshit.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
When I was young "What's your sign?" was a common first question when people met for the first time. It pissed me off so much I almost had steam shooting out my ears. The idea that people would judge my character based on nothing but my birth date!!! Arrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!! Not to mention that people who professed to actually know anything about it insisted that they needed far more than your birth date (though it's bullshit even then) or that the sun signs have actually shifted by nearly one whole sign since they were codified (and even then it's still bullshit). They'd say "I can't date you because our signs are incompatible." I wanted to reply "Well, I can't date you either because you're too fucking stupid to know the difference between your mouth and your asshole!"

And to think that's about the least of the things that are wrong with our society!

In The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer describes a doctor who never visited his patients or inquired about their symptoms: If someone sent word that they or a family member were sick, the doctor would send back to ask when they were born. Then he would cast their horoscope and prescribe medicine based on that.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »
Some girl with psychic powers,
She says "T-bone what's your sign?"
I blinked and answered "Neon",
I though I'd blow her mind.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:30:57 PM »
My sign is Ophiuchus.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 08:42:43 PM »
I used to answer that question: "My sine is zero, because I have no degrees."
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain