Author Topic: Beliefs about prayer  (Read 1291 times)

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: Beliefs about prayer
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
The asshole god concept isn't any worse (or better) then the old Roman or Greek gods. It fits right in for the time.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2020, 06:01:58 PM »
The asshole god concept isn't any worse (or better) then the old Roman or Greek gods. It fits right in for the time.

The difference is that the Romans and Greeks didn't claim that their gods were merciful or just or kind or that they liked us. The Romans and the Greeks believed that their gods had all the usual human flaws, including jealousy, greed, capriciousness, and especially lust. They paid cult to their gods in order that the gods would not squish them like bugs, or that the gods would make it rain enough but not too much, or make the wind blow the right way when they wanted to launch a fleet of sailing ships.

Christians claim their god loves us, and will still send us to infinite everlasting torture if we make the honest mistake of believing in the wrong religion, or none at all.

The polytheistic religions made sense within the context of what they knew of the world. Christianity is full to the gills of internal contradictions, and just plain makes no sense to anybody who opens their eyes and looks at the world. The Greeks and Romans were wrong. Christianity is not just wrong, it's complete and utter bullshit.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2020, 01:05:13 AM »
At least you could argue with them. As it is, why bother. It won't make any sense.
The only people that tell me about life after death have never been dead ... not even once.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2020, 03:14:20 AM »
The polytheistic religions made sense within the context of what they knew of the world. Christianity is full to the gills of internal contradictions, and just plain makes no sense to anybody who opens their eyes and looks at the world. The Greeks and Romans were wrong. Christianity is not just wrong, it's complete and utter bullshit.

While not without their problems, I think some of the gnostics did a better job where the God of the bible is a lesser or even evil god.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »

While not without their problems, I think some of the gnostics did a better job where the God of the bible is a lesser or even evil god.

The Marcionites did something similar by regarding the God of the Old Testament as an evil god, who created the material world, while a separate, good god rules over the spiritual realm and tricked the OT god into releasing humankind from original sin by faking Jesus's death on the cross.

Part of the problem with Pauline Trinitarian Christianity is that Paul was arguing against a number of very different Christianities and basically painted himself into a corner because the arguments he used against one were inconsistent with the arguments he used against another, and so on, all down the line. He managed to defeat them all, but at a cost of leaving himself with a theology and a Christology that were internally inconsistent and required the rejection of logic itself in order to accept.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg