1 (7.1%)
no
4 (28.6%)
It is partially correct.
0 (0%)
I am not a Christian.
9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: The Beast Revelation  (Read 513 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
Re: The Beast Revelation
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »
I've just spent fifteen fruitless minutes trying to find a thing I remember reading a while back, which listed a page or two of numbers joking about 666 as the number of the beast. The only one I remember was that 667 is the Neighbor of the Beast.

I know I didn't come up with it, but it's been my personal text for years here. Gimme some credit!  :laugh: >:D 8) ;D
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
A lot of uneducated people imagine that The Bible is a fixed, universal thing in and of itself, not realizing that at various times and places different people assembled different lists of which scriptures their followers should read, and this list has changed, and still today the Catholic Bible is different than the Protestant one.

Holy Space Jesus.  I never knew this.  I had to look it up just now to make sure it was real.  I also just looked up the difference between the United Kingdom and Great Britian, which I also didn't know.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2020, 05:42:42 PM »
Holy Space Jesus.  I never knew this.  I had to look it up just now to make sure it was real.  I also just looked up the difference between the United Kingdom and Great Britian, which I also didn't know.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2020, 05:53:38 PM »
A lot of uneducated people imagine that The Bible is a fixed, universal thing in and of itself, not realizing that at various times and places different people assembled different lists of which scriptures their followers should read, and this list has changed, and still today the Catholic Bible is different than the Protestant one.

The Orthodox bible and Coptic Bibles also contain different books. But most of the differences deal with the Old Testament. Luther's Bible was a little different than many protestant Bibles because the thought that some books were lesser scripture such as James. The Catholics settled their canon at the Council of Trent in 382. You must remember that until the Protestants, Christians didn't view the Bible as the soul source of truth and the Bible was of far lesser importance.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 06:11:45 PM »
You must remember that until the Protestants, Christians didn't view the Bible as the soul source of truth and the Bible was of far lesser importance.

Sole source?  ;)

It is interesting just how many people will state that Christianity is based upon the Bible.

I suspect that has a bit to do with protestantism and later evangelical and fundamentalist offshoots where they essentially regard it as one book, rather than a collection--with certain parts having considerably more 'importance" than others.

In the same respect they might be confused that "old Testament" is NOT synonymous with "Torah" and that there are additional religious texts considered just as important to Jews as the (non Torah) sections of the OT and that much like Catholicism, there is a TON of oral tradition not found in texts.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »

Pedantic caveat:
The Isle of Man (the Island that sits between Ireland and GB) is NOT part of the UK. It is a self-governing crown dependency.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 06:32:38 PM »
This place, may or may not be interested in what I have to say, but if there is one, then my time is not wasted.

The way to make people interested in what you have to say, is to engage with them, demonstrate your knowledge, and sound interesting(1); not paste a copied wall of rambling text like a pretentious preacher in a drive-by first post.

(1)  I sense you're unable to do this.

I actually read his whole post, hoping to find a testable claim or prediction. There wasn't one, other than the very loose prediction that "The events should start happening," and the ridiculous claim that "they have."
So, should I read it?   Can you summarize it or is it too......rambling?

Read it if you are fascinated by people who think they've figured out something nobody else ever could, or people who think that all the experts in a field are wrong and that they have discovered The Truth™. If you are the sort of person who could go on a Flat Earth chat board and be endlessly fascinated by the weirdness, you might like to read his post. I read it because I really wanted to see if he'd say something concrete or make a testable claim. I also spent quite a bit of time on the Flat Earth Society chat board until I finally got tired of it.

Here is a table I put together showing the development of the NT Canon.  Revelation was in and out multiple times in the different versions.

That is interesting. Thanks for posting. A lot of uneducated people imagine that The Bible is a fixed, universal thing in and of itself, not realizing that at various times and places different people assembled different lists of which scriptures their followers should read, and this list has changed, and still today the Catholic Bible is different than the Protestant one.

I remember one man telling me that he only used the KJV because that is the authorized one. (It says so right on the title page!) I'm partial to the KJV myself, as I regard the language as being more poetic.

It was intended to be. People of the time did not speak or write like that. It was written to be impressive and poetic and to invoke feelings of majesty and grandness.
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2020, 07:03:50 PM »
Pedantic caveat:
The Isle of Man (the Island that sits between Ireland and GB) is NOT part of the UK. It is a self-governing crown dependency.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2020, 08:50:20 PM »

The Orthodox bible and Coptic Bibles also contain different books. But most of the differences deal with the Old Testament. Luther's Bible was a little different than many protestant Bibles because the thought that some books were lesser scripture such as James. The Catholics settled their canon at the Council of Trent in 382. You must remember that until the Protestants, Christians didn't view the Bible as the soul source of truth and the Bible was of far lesser importance.

Exactly! Martin Luther invented the idea that the Bible is the Sole Authority on Everything™. He was pissed at the Catholic Church (of which he was a priest) for being totally corrupt from top to bottom. (See the Decameron of Bocaccio for the flavor of the Church in its heyday.) But he couldn't claim himself to be a higher authority than the Pope. So he decided that scripture, rather than the Church, should be the authority. He was also a vicious anti-Semite.

And since it's the rare Christian who knows anything of the history of his own religion, people forget that for the first three-quarters of the history of Christianity, the Bible was considered dangerous for the uneducated, and the laity were forbidden to read it, assuming they could read, which most couldn't.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2020, 11:01:44 AM »
In later years Martin Luther actually lamented about Sola Scriptura saying that in trying to get rid of a pope he made thousands.

On a side note, I don't think that many people realize just how much a a douche Martin Luther was that swore like a sailor. Still, he had a ton of good points and he shaped the world forever.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2020, 11:49:03 AM »
In later years Martin Luther actually lamented about Sola Scriptura saying that in trying to get rid of a pope he made thousands.

This I didn't know. Thanks.

On a side note, I don't think that many people realize just how much a a douche Martin Luther was that swore like a sailor. Still, he had a ton of good points and he shaped the world forever.

I was not aware that he had good points. He certainly did shape the world, probably for the worse.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

personate-rain