Author Topic: Eric Metaxas and other Christians who support Donald Trump  (Read 480 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Eric Metaxas and other Christians who support Donald Trump
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
Somehow I stumbled upon this interview with American conservative Christian Eric Metaxas. I recognized the surname because Steve debunked his claim that science provides evidence for the existence of God a few years ago. The title of the interview is pretty self-explanatory:

What Changed Eric Metaxas’ Mind About Trump

Conservative Christians have been a core constituency for President Donald Trump, and one of the more visible Christians supporting the president is bestselling author and radio host Eric Metaxas.

Trinko: I know you get this question a lot, but there’s been a lot of Christian support for President Donald Trump and you’ve been very open about how you’re a supporter of the president. What do you like about him?

Metaxas: I like almost everything about him. He’s, I would say, a very refreshing figure in American politics. And of course, that’s what makes him a disruptor.

Trinko: What I thought was really interesting about your answer was you brought up, of course, Trump’s policies, which most conservative Christians would agree are good, but you also seem to really like his personality.

I thought that’s like the perfect smoke-blowing … and I laughed and I thought to myself, “This is so funny because people are actually expecting this guy from Queens who grew up in the rough and tumble world of New York real estate to be conversant in the Bible.” … The whole thing was funny.

So not only does Metaxas like Trump's policies, he also likes his personality (yes, that odious, repulsive, narcissistic personality). And he seems perfectly happy that this Christian-supported president knows virtually nothing about the Bible.

Jerry Falwell Jr is even more of a Trump supporter. According to him, Trump is the "dream president" for Evangelicals, and that there is nothing Trump could do that would endanger their support.

Trump is probably the least religious American president in a long time (he is probably an apatheist of some sort), it is conceded, and yet they love him anyways. It seems almost cult-like.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Eric Metaxas and other Christians who support Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
American Christianity has turned into a 'naked worship of power' thing and I think this is a result of that.

Meaning shit like:
  • Authoritarians tend to have leadership-style fetishes -- Trump checks those boxes. 
  • Christians tend to be reeaal fucked up about sex and women -- Trump checks those boxes.
The Duggar Scandal from a few years ago (thread) is a good example of their cultural rot.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
I guess there is something to that. Still it perplexes me that they so strongly and willingly embrace someone who probably couldn't care less about the Bible or their religion.

• Christians tend to be reeaal fucked up about sex and women -- Trump checks those boxes.

But I thought Trump was not effed up about sex and women in quite the same way as your stereotypical Christian. ;)
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:01:54 AM »
Religion is internally self-contradictory and ultimately open to interpretation. That's why many Christians use their faith to justify their own moral beliefs instead of shaping their morals according to their religion.

"God works in mysterious ways" and similar platitudes can be invoked to support the idea that a greedy, narcissistic sociopath can unwittingly serve as the fulfillment of divine providence.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 06:32:56 AM »
You can see how Christian leaders try to reinterpret what is in the Bible with how they try to look at the "Eye of the Needle" passage to defend their hording of money.   
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
Well this is silly in two ways. First, not even I like Trump's personality. I like how much it bothers "tha libs," but I don't like it. I don't like him suggesting that Rep. Dingell was in hell. His personality is something you tolerate for his policy.

Second, he's not only not a good Christian, but he also isn't governing like an evangelical. You'd think this guy would WANT him impeached so Pence could take over. Pence might actually push the Christian line. I don't know for certain but he definitely placed religion front and centre in a way that Trump doesn't. I suspect that either Trump is only nominally Christian.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
For what its worth, there seem to be 3 paths that conservative christians are taking with Trump.  Based on my confirmation bias:

Slight Majority:  Sticking with Trump because the SCOTUS and a few other things but admitting he's a really awful person.  This group is split between holding their noses and voting and BS Biblical allusions to David and Cyrus. 

Close Second:  Sticking with Trump and someone convincing themselves he's really secretly a good person.

Distant third:  Can't stomach him regardless of the SCOTUS and whatever stuff the first group likes. 

My sister as migrated from the second group to the third since the election.   She won't vote for a Dem but she might go third party or stay home next time around.

I don't think they are actually his core base though, I think his core base are trolls.  Folks that think the system by the big City/Coastal elites who hang out at cocktail parties sneering at the suburbs and country.   Every time that group sees some breathless headline or facebook post about Trumps latest awful tweet, they cheer F@$# yeah!.

I have some sympathy for that group, I still couldn't vote for trump but I do kind of enjoy the lefty tears. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:47:00 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
You can see how Christian leaders try to reinterpret what is in the Bible with how they try to look at the "Eye of the Needle" passage to defend their hording of money.

What does that mean? "Nobody of us will pass the eye of a needle, therefore it is not reasonable to expect our preferred president to be even close to doing that"?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 06:31:26 PM »

What does that mean? "Nobody of us will pass the eye of a needle, therefore it is not reasonable to expect our preferred president to be even close to doing that"?
It means someone doesn’t understand the words of Jesus.

He was asked if rich people could get into heaven and he answered it would be more difficult than a camel passing through the eye of a needle.

Somehow that’s interpreted to mean Jesus loves rich people and Christians should aspire to richness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 09:26:03 PM »
At the risk of incurring Godwin’s law, Hitler in the ‘30s had a lot of support from the churches in Germany and what used to be Austria in the ‘30s, particularly from the protestant ones.  And the Catholic Church signed the concordat with him in 1933 ensuring that his dictatorial powers became possible.

He was regarded as being sent by God to save Germany from the godless communists.

If you believe one set of ridiculous propositions, then it’s not difficult to believe another set of similarly ridiculous propositions. Many of the religious fervently want to see abortion on demand banned.  And they think Trump will accomplish that for them, so they’re prepared to forgive all of his considerable defects.

And it helps Trump that he’s involved in so many scandals simultaneously.  Many of them just get swamped by others occurring at the same time.  For example, the impeachment has diverted attention from Trump being required to pay $2 million dollars in penalties for fraud committed by his so-called charity foundation, which was using donations from other people to pay private expenses.

And another example was during the election campaign a recording of him boasting of being able to grope women without consequence, another batch of stolen Democrat emails were released taking away media attention.

A normal president wouldn’t get away with this.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
It's a win-win!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 04:44:00 AM »
Jim Bakker: If Trump loses in 2020, Christians will ‘die one after another’

On a recent episode of The Jim Bakker Show, host Jim Bakker returned to one of his favorite conspiracy theories, which involves various assassination plots planned by liberals targeting Christian leaders and politicians who support President Trump.

During a monologue to his audience, Bakker declared that Trump was elected because “God’s people” went to the polls and voted, and the “enemies of the gospel know it.”

“I’m going to say something I probably shouldn’t say,” Bakker warned in a video clip flagged by Right Wing Watch. “What’s coming next, if we keep losing, you’re going to see the leaders of the church and the leaders of the gospel and the political conservative leaders that are powerful, you are going to see them suddenly die, suddenly killed—suddenly as they were driving, suddenly as they were in a boat, suddenly in an airplane—you’re going to see it one after another.”

Bakker went to say that God warned him about this eventuality years ago, adding that he believes “we’re in that time” where life on earth is about to end.

“This is life and death.,” he said.

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1141415654072967168

Bakker has warned about the impending deaths of Christians at the hands of anti-Trump forces before. In August of last year, he lamented that his support for Trump has put his life at risk.

“The evil in this country is so bad, if I was a Republican—which I have been my whole life—I couldn’t wear a hat with my candidate on it without concern about being murdered in the street,” Bakker said.

The month before, while discussing a pro-life movie about abortion, Bakker said, “I’ve been hesitating to tell you what’s going to come next … but they’re gonna begin to kill the Christian leaders in this country.”
https://deadstate.org/jim-bakker-if-trump-loses-in-2020-christians-will-be-suddenly-killed-one-after-another/?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:46:46 AM by John Albert »

Online Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
As long as he is first ...
The only people that tell me about life after death have never been dead ... not even once.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »
Wasn't there a whole thread about that?
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

personate-rain