Author Topic: Episode #747  (Read 1630 times)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #747
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2019, 01:53:14 AM »
Lonely Moa,

You might eat liver, but most meat-eaters don’t.

Right.  Because it's gross.

My dog agrees.  I feed her chicken hearts and chicken gizzards, which she loves.  She scoffs them in seconds flat.  I’ve offered her chicken livers, but she turns her nose up at them, and I had to discard them.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2019, 03:43:58 AM »
Lonely Moa,

Most American meat eaters, you men.  They like that baby food they call corn fed beef, too.

It's gross because you were raised by a mother too young and too middle class American.  The rest of the world knows organ meats are not only tasty but good for you.  My mother fed us liver often.  I still think it is great... you might read "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" or maybe "Deep Nutrition.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »
I agree that the practice of changing the clock should be abolished, but I think that the non-DST time makes the most sense as being the permanent time. Under DST, roughly, it is dark when we are supposed to go up from bed, and bright when we are about to go to sleep. Under non-DST, it is the opposite.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »
Lonely Moa,

Most American meat eaters, you men.  They like that baby food they call corn fed beef, too.

It's gross because you were raised by a mother too young and too middle class American.

You, even more than usual, have no idea what you're talking about.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »
Lonely Moa,

It's gross because you were raised by a mother too young and too middle class American.

You do understand sarcasm, don’t you?  Perhaps you don’t:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2019, 10:35:54 PM »
Lonely Moa,

We boomers ate organ meat as kids and lots of us still do... like most other people in the world.  And pasture raised and finished beef has it all over corn fed, IMHO.  That's why Cosco is buying up large in NZ, BTW.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2019, 10:42:04 PM »
We boomers ate organ meat as kids ...

Not in my house we didn't. Even when I ate meat I hated the stuff. Some Americans like it, but I think most don't. Including most boomers.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2019, 10:55:09 PM »
In Britain (and cultural descendants like Australia), the war was partially responsible. You couldn't afford to discard edible meat, so more people ate liver, kidney, tripe, lamb's brains, etc. It's the kind of food that I associate with my grandparents' generation, which technically is the generation before the boomers, which were post-war (I'm gen-x).
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2019, 11:49:12 PM »
Lonely Moa,

We boomers ate organ meat as kids and lots of us still do... like most other people in the world.  And pasture raised and finished beef has it all over corn fed, IMHO.  That's why Cosco is buying up large in NZ, BTW.

When I was growing up, and still eating meat, my parents never served ‘organ meat,’ so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

I agree with you about grain (corn) fed cattle.  The cattle have to be given prophylactic antibiotics (with all of their adverse effects in encouraging antibiotic resistance) to prevent liver abscesses as a result of abnormal fermentation in the cattle’s rumen.

American feedlots and grain feeding was caused by the government’s decision in the ‘70s to make food as cheap as possible, including heavily subsidising corn farmers.  As an aside, American food manufacturers, in order to maximise profits, sourced the cheapest ingredients, including corn syrup.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2019, 12:42:57 AM »
Lonely Moa,

Perhaps you don't.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2019, 01:39:50 AM »
Lonely Moa,

Perhaps you don't.

I do know what sarcasm is.  And I do know that challenging a person to a bet, and then not following up when it is accepted is cowardice.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2019, 02:08:55 AM »
Lonely Moa,

Perhaps you don't.

I do know what sarcasm is.  And I do know that challenging a person to a bet, and then not following up when it is accepted is cowardice.

Wait, what?  Somebody accepted a bet I offered?  What are you talking about?

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2019, 06:11:30 AM »
Lonely Moa,

Perhaps you don't.

Wait, what?  Somebody accepted a bet I offered?  What are you talking about?

You do have a short memory, don’t you?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
In my experience - so this is admittedly anecdotal - as wealth increases across a culture people move from eating organs and extremities to eating muscles. I suspect this has something to do with how the amount of work required to prepare a steak or roast compared to a kidney or liver or foot, but that's wild speculation on my part. In general I think Pratchett was right that people don't eat bird spit because that's their first choice: they eat it because someone else made off with the birds, the eggs, and quite possibly the tree the nest was in.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
Poor people eat what rich people throw out. Rich people eat the muscle and throw out the organs and the intestines. People are good at making the best of a bad situation, so that among poor people the intestines and organs sometimes come to be viewed as delicacies.

But in addition to that, subsistence farmers will use everything available, thus when they kill an animal they'll eat everything but the skin and the bones. They may not actually be poor, and they may not like the organ meats very much, but they cannot afford to waste, so they eat them. And their kids, knowing no other way, may on occasion learn to actually like them, or come to regard them as a necessary part of the diet. If you're going to kill animals for food, you might as well eat everything.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck