Author Topic: Episode #747  (Read 1925 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #747
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
P.S. We weren't rich, but we weren't poor either. We ate horse meat to economize, but weren't so poor as to have to eat organ meats. My step-father, being a poet, told us that we were eating a variety of exotic animals, but it was all horse meat. Later, with my second step-father, we were better off, and we ate cow, pig, and chicken. And by then I would have known better than to believe the stories. It wasn't until I was 19 and living on my own that I quit eating meat.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
Lonely Moa,

You might eat liver, but most meat-eaters don’t.

Right.  Because it's gross.

Most American meat eaters, you men.  They like that baby food they call corn fed beef, too.

It's gross because you were raised by a mother too young and too middle class American.

You, even more than usual, have no idea what you're talking about.

You do understand sarcasm, don’t you?  Perhaps you don’t:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Perhaps you don't.

I do know what sarcasm is.  And I do know that challenging a person to a bet, and then not following up when it is accepted is cowardice.

Wait, what?  Somebody accepted a bet I offered?  What are you talking about?

You do have a short memory, don’t you?

To be polite, I think it is you have the faulty memory. Post a link to the post where somebody accepted a bet I offered or apologize.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2019, 12:29:22 PM »
Administrator Comment Spillover of irrelevant disputes from other threads is against the rules and should stop immediately.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »
Lonely Moa,

Most American meat eaters, you men.  They like that baby food they call corn fed beef, too.

It's gross because you were raised by a mother too young and too middle class American.

Perhaps you don't.

I do know what sarcasm is.  And I do know that challenging a person to a bet, and then not following up when it is accepted is cowardice.

To be polite, I think it is you have the faulty memory. Post a link to the post where somebody accepted a bet I offered or apologize.

Go and look at ‘Beyond Burger 2.0.’  I’ve also sent you a message, but in case you don’t see it, this is the last time I’m going off-topic.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2019, 05:01:35 PM »
Lonely Moa,

Perhaps you don't.

Go and look at ‘Beyond Burger 2.0.’  I’ve also sent you a message, but in case you don’t see it, this is the last time I’m going off-topic.

Ah, ok.  The bet I offered here: Re: Beyond Burger 2.0 .

I did not see the post where you accepted it.  Even though Google searches have further declined since then, I will still honor the bet. 
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
Lonely Moa,

Perhaps you don't.

Ah, ok.  The bet I offered here: Re: Beyond Burger 2.0 .

I did not see the post where you accepted it.  Even though Google searches have further declined since then, I will still honor the bet.

Read your message, and we’ll arrange to swap email addresses, and settle on the terms.  Oops, off-topic again...

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
Poor people eat what rich people throw out. Rich people eat the muscle and throw out the organs and the intestines. People are good at making the best of a bad situation, so that among poor people the intestines and organs sometimes come to be viewed as delicacies.

I daresay that modern meat processing facilities use every bit as much of an animal as any subsistence farmer. That the offal doesn’t show up whole in the supermarket meat case does not mean that it isn’t there; and those parts that don’t end up there are used elsewhere.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »
Poor people eat what rich people throw out. Rich people eat the muscle and throw out the organs and the intestines. People are good at making the best of a bad situation, so that among poor people the intestines and organs sometimes come to be viewed as delicacies.

I daresay that modern meat processing facilities use every bit as much of an animal as any subsistence farmer. That the offal doesn’t show up whole in the supermarket meat case does not mean that it isn’t there; and those parts that don’t end up there are used elsewhere.

Of course they use everything. The fact that they have to hide the offal and organ meats in sausage or use it for dog food or whatever just shows how few people want it. But going back before modern meat processing, the parts rich people wanted brought a higher price, and the stuff they didn't want had to be sold cheaper, which made those parts the parts poor people could afford.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »

Of course they use everything. The fact that they have to hide the offal and organ meats in sausage or use it for dog food or whatever just shows how few people want it. But going back before modern meat processing, the parts rich people wanted brought a higher price, and the stuff they didn't want had to be sold cheaper, which made those parts the parts poor people could afford.

I feed my dog chicken hearts and chicken gizzards, which she loves.  I doubt that there are many humans who’d be buying them to eat them themselves.  So I’m actually not breaking my ethical principles in feeding my largely carnivorous pet with meat.  The chicken hearts and gizzards would otherwise be discarded after humans have consumed the skeletal muscle.

She does, however, turn up her nose at the chicken livers.  Even she finds them ‘gross.’

I’m not certain how much offal there is in beef sausages though.  The nutritional analyses of the USDA list very little vitamin A in beef sausages.  If there was significant liver present, then there should be more.

Amended.  I couldn’t find the USDA figures, but here’s another source:

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sausages-and-luncheon-meats/7266/2

It lists very little vitamin A.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:41:44 PM by bachfiend »

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
One of the people who influenced me in becoming a vegetarian was a vegetarian women who said "I don't impose my moral principles on my cat." The first day or two that I had my cat I gave him only milk, and he had bad diarrhea. My sister, who was vegetarian at the time, had told me there was an Indian yogi who had a pet lion that only ate milk. I was in my early 20's at the time and very naive. And too ignorant to recognize that for the bullshit it was. After about two days I took the vegetarian woman's comment about her cat to heart, and started feeding my cat cat food. 1/6 of a small can of cat food twice a day and dry food in his bowl at all times. He lived for 15 years and was healthy until near the end. He was the best cat.

I now know that any sentence that begins "There's a yogi in India..." has a 99.9% chance of being utter and complete bullshit. My sister believes all such statements.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2019, 08:57:51 AM »
One of the people who influenced me in becoming a vegetarian was a vegetarian women who said "I don't impose my moral principles on my cat." The first day or two that I had my cat I gave him only milk, and he had bad diarrhea. My sister, who was vegetarian at the time, had told me there was an Indian yogi who had a pet lion that only ate milk. I was in my early 20's at the time and very naive. And too ignorant to recognize that for the bullshit it was. After about two days I took the vegetarian woman's comment about her cat to heart, and started feeding my cat cat food. 1/6 of a small can of cat food twice a day and dry food in his bowl at all times. He lived for 15 years and was healthy until near the end. He was the best cat.

I now know that any sentence that begins "There's a yogi in India..." has a 99.9% chance of being utter and complete bullshit. My sister believes all such statements.
I laughed, thank you.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »

I’m not surprised that your cat reacted badly to your feeding him only milk when you were young and foolish following the advice of your elders (I presume your sister was older?) and betters.  I would think that adult cats are naturally lactose intolerant, like most mammals:

https://www.prestigeanimalhospital.com/services/cats/blog/why-cats-and-cows-milk-dont-mix

When I was young and foolish I used to give my cat milk too, which she seemed to enjoy. She might have had diarrhoea, but because cats usually bury their excrement (unlike dogs) I didn’t notice.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2019, 04:57:24 PM »

I’m not surprised that your cat reacted badly to your feeding him only milk when you were young and foolish following the advice of your elders (I presume your sister was older?) and betters.  I would think that adult cats are naturally lactose intolerant, like most mammals:

https://www.prestigeanimalhospital.com/services/cats/blog/why-cats-and-cows-milk-dont-mix

When I was young and foolish I used to give my cat milk too, which she seemed to enjoy. She might have had diarrhoea, but because cats usually bury their excrement (unlike dogs) I didn’t notice.

While I don't know for sure, I think my cat reacted badly because for two days he had nothing but milk. In fact, he was a tiny kitten when I got him and probably not intolerant to milk. Given cats' famous love of milk, I'm surprised if adult cats are lactose intolerant. But they need solid food as well, probably meat or meat byproducts.

I had not had a cat since we were very tiny children, and my sister, though she is only 3 years older than me, was my go-to authority regarding cats. Two things my sister and I have had in common throughout our lives from as far back as I can remember, is that we both love cats and we both hated our step-mother.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »
Anyway.  I’ve just received a warning from the moderator for ‘spillover.’  The SGU is just so pathetic.  One of the reasons why I don’t listen to the podcast any more.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »
The SGU is not this forum.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

personate-rain