Author Topic: Realistic Dragons  (Read 1442 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Realistic Dragons
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2019, 08:25:59 AM »
The bolded bit is a pretty reasonable assumption to make though.

Assumptions -- reasonable or not -- are not implications.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2019, 01:59:03 PM »
This video explains the real world limitations between size and metabolism of animals. Very interesting. I'm still trying to find that video of the Fellbeasts... I think they even mentioned that those creatures would only be able to fly for very short periods of time, maybe just 1 or 2 hours per day, precisely for metabolic restrictions.

"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2019, 09:20:53 AM »
Dragons do not have to follow *our* laws of nature. They are magical beings.
Case and point are these to fine examples.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
Tiamat is a god(dess), so that's not really part of the same discussion.

But as a god, being five-headed might be a more reasonable reflection of its subjects than a lot of the monotheistic human gods are. Though I suppose the body gives away which kin is its favorite.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »

This is a fairly comprehensive look at the real-world physics of big flying beasts.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2019, 11:30:02 AM »
Case and point are these to fine examples.

Tiamat or Tekisis?
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »
I find it interesting that we have yet to discuss eastern dragons. Their flight is 100% magical.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »
I find it interesting that we have yet to discuss eastern dragons. Their flight is 100% magical.

nuf said.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2019, 11:52:09 AM »
But the subject of the thread is realistic dragons, so obviously we're talking about "our" laws of nature.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »

nuf said.

Well to that purpose. Not all dragons were thought to have the ability of flight. I suppose you could look at the realistic sea dragons and Wyrms

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »
Now, compare with other "Non scientific" versions:

This one is only partly about aesthetics.  There are also limits on mold creation, on model transportability, and on what sort of weight/balance the flight stand can support practically in a tabletop game setting.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
Now, compare with other "Non scientific" versions:

This one is only partly about aesthetics.  There are also limits on mold creation, on model transportability, and on what sort of weight/balance the flight stand can support practically in a tabletop game setting.

I find it completely unrealistic that they had giant icicles running from their chest to the ground.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2019, 05:21:27 PM »

Tiamat or Tekisis?

That's Tiamat. You can tell because each head is a different colour. Also, chromatic dragons in D&D have distinct head morphologies - for example, black dragons have curving horns at the sides of their heads that point forwards. Blue dragons have large nasal horns jutting upwards. Green dragons have narrow, alligator-like jaws. This model shows the head shape and horn configuration of each of the five evil dragons. Tiamat is a chimera of each of the dragon types, because she is their god.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2019, 03:50:34 AM »
That specific model is Tiamat. But it could also be Takhisis, if Takhisis is Tiamat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takhisis

Offline Shibboleth

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2019, 11:19:39 AM »

Tiamat or Tekisis?

That's Tiamat. You can tell because each head is a different colour. Also, chromatic dragons in D&D have distinct head morphologies - for example, black dragons have curving horns at the sides of their heads that point forwards. Blue dragons have large nasal horns jutting upwards. Green dragons have narrow, alligator-like jaws. This model shows the head shape and horn configuration of each of the five evil dragons. Tiamat is a chimera of each of the dragon types, because she is their god.

It has been a few years since I have read Dragonlance but I believe that Takhisis had multi-colored heads also.

personate-rain