Author Topic: Pepsi Max/Coca-Cola Zero or alcohol-free beer: Which one is the least unhealthy?  (Read 186 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Most of the time when I eat dinner at home, I have water for drink. However, on Fridays I like to feast it up a bit, so I have a pizza and some nicer drink, either Pepsi Max/Coca-Cola Zero, or alcohol-free beer (up to 0.5% alcohol).

Of these two options, which one would you say is the most healthy, or at least the least unhealthy?

One thing that concern me about Pepsi Max/Coca-Cola Zero is that I think that they contain caffeine, and I don't want to risk decreasing my sleep-quality by drinking caffeine in the evening. I don't drink coffee, but I have heard that those who do tend to avoid doing it in the evening in order to not disrupt their sleep.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
A low alcohol becks has 37 calories while a can of coke zero has...basically zero.
If caffeine is a concern then you could try looking at difference in sleep quality when you have a coke vs when you dont. A sleep tracker app might be a fun way to do that but honestly, if you havent been noticing any side effects, is it really a problem?
I believe cola is one of the more acidic things you can drink so if that would be a concern for dental health then you could be better off with the beer.

As a once a week treat (I really admire your discipline) I dont think you have much to worry about either way?

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
I thought that Coke Zero had no caffeine. (I don't drink it because I don't like colas.) Turns out it has 34 mg according to the manufacturer, and 35.8 mg according to one lab test. But apparently there is a caffeine-free version of Coke, available in diet and regular. There are also other soft drinks without caffeine. Check the label. Sprite and 7-Up have no caffeine, and some brands of root beer have no caffeine. All are available in Diet or regular.

I would say that alcohol-free beer (<0.5%) is the least unhealthy of the choices you mentioned, even including caffeine-free sodas. This opinion is based on absolutely nothing but my own prejudices. I like the taste of beer and occasionally drink an N/A beer, though it's been a while because I'm starting to feel that even the small amount of alcohol has a slight unpleasant effect on me. (I don't like the way alcohol makes me feel.)

Lately I've been drinking Bundaberg Diet Ginger Beer. Basically it's a soft drink, so probably more unhealthy than beer, but it has no alcohol. And its taste is very different than any other soft drinks I've had. I don't drink it with meals, though. I like the ginger taste, but not with food.

I really like seltzer water (just carbonated water) but I won't buy the bottled stuff and on Maui nobody will exchange soda siphon cartridges.

I'd say for a once-a-week treat, a beer (with or without alcohol) won't hurt you. Again, just my opinion. I have no evidence to offer.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
I also would go for the alcohol-free beer as the least unhealthy option, mainly because it doesn’t contain caffeine.

I avoid drinking cola, mainly because my dentist has warned me off them, because of the carbonic acid weakening the enamel of my teeth.  So even sugar-free drinks aren’t good for dental health.  But if you’re drinking cola or beer at a meal, that shouldn’t be a problem, since the saliva will be diluting and removing the carbonic acid or sugar containing drinks.

At my evening meal, I drink carrot juice and skim milk.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
I've never been able to stomach low calorie Coke of any variety. People say that Coke Zero tastes just like regular Coke but they're wrong. Full strength for me, all the way.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
ETA: wrong thread
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:24:16 PM by arthwollipot »

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
I've never been able to stomach low calorie Coke of any variety. People say that Coke Zero tastes just like regular Coke but they're wrong. Full strength for me, all the way.

I think they make sugar-sweetened (or HFCS-sweetened) coke without caffeine. I'm not sure.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena

I think they make sugar-sweetened (or HFCS-sweetened) coke without caffeine. I'm not sure.

All Coke is sweetened by cane sugar in Australia. We have negligible levels of HFCS, and most of what we do have is in products imported from America. I'm particularly partial to A&W root beer. It's about the only root beer that I can reliably get from a supermarket, and not even all supermarkets.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
May I say neither floats my boat; both could spoil a good pizza.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
May I say neither floats my boat; both could spoil a good pizza.

I agree. Good water, or fizzy water made with good water, or beer (N/A in my case) with a pizza.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
I can barely tolerate Cola flavor. I'm with Arth, a good Root beer (Birch beer) is my favorite followed by Ginger beer. Both taste much better in diet form and most versions do not contain caffeine or alcohol. Personally I go with the sugar.

Drink what you like but a portion of anything in moderation would seem ok to me. If its Friday night and you are "feasting it up" I doubt a portion of sugar or alcohol would hurt you any more than the sugar in the Pizza.  If you are watching your weight just do a little extra exercise.

Everyone is different, personally caffeine from a coke did not keep me up at night when I was younger but it does now. I tend not to drink caffeinated sodas and like the flavors.  (Grape, orange, cream, and the root beers) I also do not like sprite or ginger ale type drinks, both are weak.

I usually think grain beer is disgusting.

What is the appeal of cola or grain beer without the drugs, do people actually like the taste that much?  >:D

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
I think any health implications of any of those beverages, especially drunk infrequently, are negligible.  Drink what you like best.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
I can barely tolerate Cola flavor. I'm with Arth, a good Root beer (Birch beer) is my favorite followed by Ginger beer. Both taste much better in diet form and most versions do not contain caffeine or alcohol. Personally I go with the sugar.

Wait, you prefer the taste of the diet versions, but you drink the sugared ones? ???

I usually think grain beer is disgusting.

What is the appeal of cola or grain beer without the drugs, do people actually like the taste that much?  >:D

When you say "grain beer" do you mean beer? I love the taste of beer but cannot tolerate the alcohol. My step-father believed that babies like beer, maybe because there's an old jazz song that says "Run and get the bucket, give the baby some beer." So he gave me beer, and I loved it and always begged for it. I drank beer whenever I could get it. (Started drinking hard liquor when I was in my mid-teens and was an alcoholic by the time I was 17 or 18, until I quit drinking when I was 25.)

So, yeah, I like the taste of beer.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
I usually think grain beer is disgusting. [emphasis added]

I don't quite understand what distinction you are trying to make here. Isn't beer, by definition, made from grains?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
I usually think grain beer is disgusting. [emphasis added]

I don't quite understand what distinction you are trying to make here. Isn't beer, by definition, made from grains?
I'm pretty sure he's saying "grain beer" to distinguish it from things like root beer and ginger beer, which is a bit weird to most people as the most common definition of "beer" is a fermented beverage made from grain. 

Edit to add:

There probably is no safe amount of alcohol but if you aren't getting drunk the negative health effects are probably negligible. 

Colas also have phosphoric acid, which not only eats away at teeth on account of being an acid but also tends to leach calcium out of your teeth.   So, even worse for you than other sodas. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:53:47 AM by Ah.hell »

personate-rain