Author Topic: How can you manage without sunlight for weeks?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: How can you manage without sunlight for weeks?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 05:20:11 PM »
T.rump is presidentish of the United States of America. Maui is part of the United States of America. I'll let you try to figure it out from there.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »
But by the way Daniel, Maui looks fantastic! The below image from Wikipedia. I could certainly to worse than falling asleep to that on a warm island every night.

I can't tell from the picture what part of the island that is, but yes, Maui is paradise.

Yes, the pustule is the un-elected president of the U.S. And yes, I choose to continue to live in and pay taxes to the U.S. I considered leaving at various times. When I got my notice to appear for a physical prior to being drafted, I pretty much decided to go to Canada, but then I was not drafted. (Short version: I dodged it.) When I lived in North Dakota I considered moving to Canada, but mainly due to inertia I stayed where I was. When I decided to leave North Dakota Canada was on my short list, in part because I'd just started going there for hiking in the summer, but the part of Canada I'd have gone to (near hiking) is far from a reliable airport which would have made travel difficult. And now in my dotage I just don't give a damn any more. I found a place where I can be active in my favorite outdoor activity all year long, where it never snows, and it happened to be in the U.S. where I wouldn't have to deal with visas or naturalization. We have a turd for a president, but he'd still be a turd and still president of the U.S. if I left.

So I stay.

Note: It snows on Maui, but never in Kihei. You have to go up on the mountain if you want snow.

Longest I went on my submarine without daylight was 4 weeks.  I dealt with it by remembering how awful the air and water quality were.

The longest I ever spent on a submarine was six hours. It was smaller than yours and went deeper. 2,050 feet according to the depth gage.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
There are a number of cities where offices, condos, and shopping are all connected by underground passages and skybridges. One can conceivably spend a lot of your day never having to go outside. There was a Canadian movie made about this a number of years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waydowntown

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:05:25 AM by Noisy Rhysling »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
But by the way Daniel, Maui looks fantastic! The below image from Wikipedia. I could certainly to worse than falling asleep to that on a warm island every night.

I can't tell from the picture what part of the island that is, but yes, Maui is paradise.

Yes, the pustule is the un-elected president of the U.S. And yes, I choose to continue to live in and pay taxes to the U.S. I considered leaving at various times. When I got my notice to appear for a physical prior to being drafted, I pretty much decided to go to Canada, but then I was not drafted. (Short version: I dodged it.) When I lived in North Dakota I considered moving to Canada, but mainly due to inertia I stayed where I was. When I decided to leave North Dakota Canada was on my short list, in part because I'd just started going there for hiking in the summer, but the part of Canada I'd have gone to (near hiking) is far from a reliable airport which would have made travel difficult. And now in my dotage I just don't give a damn any more. I found a place where I can be active in my favorite outdoor activity all year long, where it never snows, and it happened to be in the U.S. where I wouldn't have to deal with visas or naturalization. We have a turd for a president, but he'd still be a turd and still president of the U.S. if I left.

So I stay.

Note: It snows on Maui, but never in Kihei. You have to go up on the mountain if you want snow.

Longest I went on my submarine without daylight was 4 weeks.  I dealt with it by remembering how awful the air and water quality were.

The longest I ever spent on a submarine was six hours. It was smaller than yours and went deeper. 2,050 feet according to the depth gage.

According to the name of the image, it is Kaanapali beach.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »
Ah, western most point on Maui, you can see Lanai and Moloka'i from there.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
According to the name of the image, it is Kaanapali beach.

Thanks. I've never been farther north on West Maui than Canoe Beach just north of Lahaina, so I've never been to Kaanapali. But that's a lot like many of our beaches here.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
At least now you have a new adventure to make, preferably during a sunset. ;)

That picture is almost magical. Combined with the right music it is even better.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 04:28:32 PM »
At least now you have a new adventure to make, preferably during a sunset. ;)

That picture is almost magical. Combined with the right music it is even better.

One reason I don't go up that way if I don't have to is that some of it is a two-lane road where a traffic accident can completely close the road for hours. And there's a lot of traffic on that road. If traffic were stopped for an hour it would probably take three hours to clear it. And there's no way around. The road north from there and around West Maui is just one unpaved lane.

But I get absolutely spectacular, gorgeous sunsets from my living room windows and balcony.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 05:14:16 PM »
I missed out having only had Antarctic summers.  Wintering over sounds really cool although the winter over crew had that "winter over" look in their eyes.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
Ha even a hardened northerner like me, I still find myself quickly running out of energy by 2100 after the sun has been down for 5 hours. 

Current time: 1528.  Out the office window: Not quite dark, but dusky.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 07:10:42 PM »
Wintering over sounds really cool ...

Not to me, it doesn't. Winters in North Dakota are bad enough. Winter in Antarctica, no thanks! Winter has arrived in Maui. It was just a wee bit too chilly to go down to the beach without a t-shirt before sun-up yesterday morning. And when I jump out of the canoe, the water feels ever so slightly chilly, as compared to summer's bathwater-warm ocean water. And in another week or two there will be a lot more whales. I'll leave Antarctica to people who hate the sun and warm water.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »

Not to me, it doesn't. Winters in North Dakota are bad enough. Winter in Antarctica, no thanks! Winter has arrived in Maui. It was just a wee bit too chilly to go down to the beach without a t-shirt before sun-up yesterday morning. And when I jump out of the canoe, the water feels ever so slightly chilly, as compared to summer's bathwater-warm ocean water. And in another week or two there will be a lot more whales. I'll leave Antarctica to people who hate the sun and warm water.

Some of us like challenges of weather and terrain; often difficult and uncomfortable but generally rewarding.  Ever cradle an adelie in your arms?  Maybe stand on skis enjoying the view of K2 knowing that there ar no other humans within a hundred kms?  No one living in Antarctica hates the sun BTW, quite the opposite.  As for warm water, nothing beats a hot shower at 80oS when it's -30o outside.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »

Some of us like challenges of weather and terrain; often difficult and uncomfortable but generally rewarding.  Ever cradle an adelie in your arms?  Maybe stand on skis enjoying the view of K2 knowing that there ar no other humans within a hundred kms?  No one living in Antarctica hates the sun BTW, quite the opposite.  As for warm water, nothing beats a hot shower at 80oS when it's -30o outside.

I get it that some people enjoy a challenge. Not my cup of tea, but I get it. I don't know what an adelie is and I'm too lazy and not interested enough to google it. I can't ski. I don't have the balance for it. Guides I've hiked with have told me that I'd probably do fine climbing up the snow on skins. But I'd probably break every bone in my body on the way down.

I've never stood on K2 (obviously) but I've stood on the summit of Ben Nevis (the highest point in the U.K. at 4,400 feet. And I've stood on the summit of Humphrey's Peak, the highest spot in Arizona, from which everything you can see is lower down. I've been up to Tumbledown summit by two different routes (the ridge, which is a scramble, and the glacier) and many other walk-up mountains. I don't need to be the only human around in order to enjoy nature. Today I was in a canoe with eleven other paddlers and it was gorgeous out there. Being alone would not have improved it any. I had a good workout, and even though it's nearly the middle of December in the northern hemisphere, I was able to jump out of the canoe and swim for ten or fifteen minutes, in nothing but my shorts, without feeling cold at all.

People manage without sunlight, but I really appreciate having about 350  days of sunshine per year.
Daniel
----------------
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »

Do you think if you'd wintered over in Antarctica that you would have joined the "300 Club". Those people are insane.  ;)

They have to experience a 300F change in temperature. They wait for the temp outside to hit -100F, then they have a sauna at 200F for 10 minutes. Then they have to do a naked run outside, with shoes on, for obvious reasons. If they are at the South Pole they do laps around the Pole.

The crazy Russians have the "200 Club". That's much the same except it's 200C. Sauna at 120C (248F) and run naked outside at -80C (-112F). A 360F temp difference  ???

personate-rain